Notices

waking up in the morning

Old 03-22-2011, 06:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

waking up in the morning

I have been drink free for 8 days, and feel really good. I do have a question - the last 3 days I find it hard to get out of bed in the morning. Once my feet hit the ground and I take a few steps I feel great!!! Is this part of the process - or a motivation issue, or what? Maybe my brain getting re-trained?
Old 03-22-2011, 07:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Che

I would say make sure you're getting around 8 hours of sleep and try to get up and go to bed at the same time every day. Alcohol screws up sleep patterns, but difficulty getting out of bed is something a lot of people (alcoholic or no) suffer from.

I think for the most part it's making sure you're getting enough sleep for your needs, and conditioning yourself to feel like you should be out of bed at such and such a time.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's probably all part of the process. Congrats on the 8 days!!!!! At least you are getting sleep.....I'm still in the insomnia period. Got about some BAD sleep last night.......that after being up for almost about 38 hours. Good Luck!!!
Old 03-22-2011, 08:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey there I'm around 8 days as well. I'm finding it hard to go to sleep (the bottle of wine used to take care of that) also waking up in the middle of the night and some mornings its hard to get going.

Figure things will even out.

Make sure you are eating well and drinking lots of water. I'm taking vitamins as well.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I slept so deeply in early recovery. Waking up felt like I was emerging from the center of the earth. Now things are much more normal (7 mos in). But 17 years of crappy sleep took a while to recover from. Congrats on 8 days!
Old 03-22-2011, 10:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks all. I wake up in the middle of the night too. But it seems like every night it gets easier to fall back to sleep. The first 3 nights I averaged about 2 hours sleep, so I guess my body and mind are getting used to the new process.
I used to drink in the evenings so I could conk right out. Funny thing is, I never remember having dreams when I was drinking. Now I have tons of them. I guess the alcohol really had applied the vice-grips to my poor brain.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I experienced the same thing. I slept great, very deeply but had a tough time getting up in the morning, still do. And the dreams are crazy! I think we are just catching up on what we were missing while drinking. It is great to get up without a hangover, I'll take the sleepy mornings anyday!
Old 03-23-2011, 03:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am on day 5 and slept 12 hours. I am waking up at 1 and my brain feels slow, but I am slowly starting to feel more grounded. I have a hard time getting out of bed too, but at least my body is not dehydrated, nauseous and aching. I had dreams too and it was kind of cool. I realize that I must have been numbing my brain and my senses.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I still don't want to get out of bed most days and I'm on day 90 (wow, just realized that!). I think it takes a while to get the sleep regulated again. With each day that passes I become more convinced that the process will be worthwhile in the end.

Keep up the good work!
Old 03-23-2011, 04:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I feel like that in the mornings. Getting up seems like such an impossible task! I just say to myself 'Well, imagine how much worse it would be with a hangover'... That usually makes me feel a bit more positive.

I'm sure it'll even out and, like others have said, it's probably a case of your body catching up on all the sleep it missed out on whilst you were drinking.

Congrats on your 8 days!
Old 03-23-2011, 05:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Keep moving forward...it's the best direction....
Old 03-27-2011, 10:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

10 months clean and sober and I still have nights I dont sleep very well. However, what works for me, is when I cant sleep, I just lay in bed and meditate and pray. I dont stress over the fact Im not sleeping. And, when its time to get up in the morning, I feel pretty good even after a night of not much sleep.

very grateful for my sobriety,
Michael
Old 03-28-2011, 05:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

When I drank I could never sleep in. (I felt too bad for one thing). But it was like I had an internal alarm clock. I always woke up at 5:30. Now I can easily sleep to 8 or 9 oclock. The internal alarm clock is gone.
It probably has something to do with passing out early in the evening though. Now I stay up later than I should, and by Saturday morning I'm really ready to catch up on sleep.
Fred
Old 03-28-2011, 03:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I was told by my therapist that we need lots of sleep during early sobriety. The sleep I got when drinking/drunk does not count as good rest in my opinion.