Notices

Crossing the River of Denial

Old 03-21-2011, 09:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Crossing the River of Denial

I was going to drink today because I was hungry...(I know it makes no sense when you write it down). However, I read "Crossing the River of Denial" and saw myself and my nonsensical thoughts in that chapter: "She finally realized when she enjoyed her drinking, she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she didn't enjoy it." That is me! They say the persistent mental obsession with wanting to be a controlled drinker is what makes you an alcoholic. A family died this past week and I never visited because I thought she was wrong. The real reason is because I was too drunk most of the time. It took a death to wake me up again.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Actually being hungry is a major trigger for a lot of us, auxillio....

some of us use the HALT (Hungry Angry Lonely Tired) acronym to help remind ourselves of the types of things which may lead to us craving a drink

D
Old 03-21-2011, 11:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

some of us use the HALT (Hungry Angry Lonely Tired) acronym to help remind ourselves of the types of things which may lead to us craving a drink

D
I'm glad I'm not the only one... I've noticed this a lot recently. What I thought were cravings were really just hunger pangs.

Don't know why it surprised me -- I remember realizing the same thing about cigs when I quit smoking back in July.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by auxilio View Post
"She finally realized when she enjoyed her drinking, she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she didn't enjoy it."
That is so true of me also, ill have to find myself a copy of that book!
Old 03-22-2011, 05:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It is online! I was thinking of having a drink today and then I went to my car and saw vomit all over the driver's seat. Cleaning drunk vomit really kills the romance of drinking red Italian wine.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

LOL, im bookmarking it now - cant spend much longer of this sunny day inside - its nighttime that is the challenging void to fill.

Hopefully theres not a next time that you have to clean drunken vomit - if there is, rub eucalyptus oil under your nose. Works for cleaning up all types of yukky stuff
Old 03-23-2011, 03:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I got through day 5. It was tough because I really wanted a glass of wine at night. I completed a project that I would not have been able to do without the 5 days and then felt I "deserved" a glass of wine. This website saved me!
Old 03-23-2011, 03:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

D
That is very interesting. I notice that sometimes I will forgo a meal to "trick" myself into drinking. Once my hunger reaches a certain level, I will drink before I eat.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Everyone's post about hunger have helped me so much! I am a lot more mindful about my hunger now.