Notices

"Never give a mouse a cookie"....

Old 03-20-2011, 08:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

"Never give a mouse a cookie"....

Never give an alcoholic a chance!

This may be very stupid.. But I just saw that somebodies facebook status. It amazes me how ignorant people can be... And it irked me to read that. I just got sooooo angry. My first reaction was to just start yelling at this person.. But I knew it could have turned out very bad. So I held myself back. Which was not easy at all.. I don't know why... but I just needed to post this.. Sorry if it was a waste of a thread! I was just SO unbelievably bothered by it and needed to tell somebody.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Its either someone who luckily has never gone through what we have, or has had a close relation with an alcoholic and has lost all trust.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

She went through it all. Alcoholic herself, admits it but acts like it's not big deal and continues to drink all the time, and she also just got out of a relationship with someone who she thinks is an alcoholic. But idk.. it just made me so angry.

I'm an alcoholic so that means I don't deserve a chance?? Ugh.. Idk.. Sorry.. It just made me really upset and needed to vent it out somewhere
Old 03-20-2011, 09:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

People have all kinds of opinions Hooty - I try not to let the ones I don't like bother me too much

D
Old 03-20-2011, 09:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree about the mouse and the cookie. As for the alcoholic I would agree if they are not trying to recover. Most of the chances I got while drinking I blew. It would have been sound advice for my wife a year ago.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It would tick me off, too, but then some people just don't get it.

I'm lucky...99% of my FB friends are either friends from here, or friends/family who know I'm an RA.

I've seen a few posts, here, from people who have been hurt by an A, and they lump us all into the same pot, and it's not good. At first, it made me angry, but I then just said a prayer for them and put them on ignore.

People have beliefs and opinions...I know what I'm made of, the type of person I am, and that's what I concentrate on.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-20-2011, 09:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know I shouldn't let it bug me.. Was already kind of irritated at the time and just seeing that got me going again.

But I think that's what I will do... Pray for them.. and ignore it. That's all I really can do, right?
Old 03-20-2011, 09:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Right...or you could write something really nasty on her facebook page or post some bad pictures...of course I would only do that when I was drunk. Then I would wake up early still drunk and hungover and remember what I did and sprint to my computer to try to delete my posts from the night before!

Ignore and Pray is probably the best option!
Old 03-20-2011, 10:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh believe me.. I thought about writing something just nasty.. Def had to hold myself back because I like to say exactly what's on my mind when I'm in a certain mood... no matter how mean or rude it could be. Definitely proud of myself for not doing that though. I pat myself on the back, lol. Thanks for the input guys. Felt good to be able just to vent about it and not get flipped out on.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to know you did not bother to comment ...
Prayers for peace for both of you

Last edited by CarolD; 03-21-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I used to love that book, it was my daughter's favorite when she was little.

I'm sorry the FB comment was so negative tho....just ignore it. You know you are better than that.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sorry about that....it would have upset me too.
Hugs.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have found that other drinkers are less tolerant than sober people. I suggest you stay off of facebook. I have had too. To many comments and pics have upset me and put me in the wrong frame of mind. Unless I get some facebook friends off of here or in AA I might delete my account all together.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Think about it in terms of perspective Hooty. What seems like a negative post could have been turned into a positive reply. You could have simply replied like this...

Never give an alcoholic a chance.....

....to slip back into their old ways.

You could've flipped the whole script on them right then and there and made yourself out to look like the understanding one who sees the glass half full. Again, all about perspective. I know it's hard sometimes when our busy minds are so quick to gauge the defensive, but allow yourself the chance to feel okay about the things you've done in the past, and the strides you're taking now to be the best person you can be for today.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Strive to be alive!

Hooty it appears you found your PAUSE button. Good job on holding your tounge or would that be fingers?

Scapilot had a great idea about putting it back in their lap with a positive constructive direction.

Don't worry about what other people think about or say. Unless of course, it's something healthy or wisdom you can apply to your life. You know where your headed, you know the truth, you know you. As long as you're diligent in your recovery who cares what others think!! You do deserve a second chance, we all do. If you think about it, life is about chance period.

Keep your chin up! Blesses to you
Old 03-22-2011, 10:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hooty - don't take it personally. There are many people who stereotype a group. Its no different than someone saying:

All men are....
All women are....
All whites are ....
All blacks are ....
All New Yorkers are....

The fact that they advertise it on Facebook shows that they are mean and insensitive.

Hang in there!
Old 03-22-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Why all the hate? Doesn't AA and other step programs teach members the importance of accepting the fact that the world and its opinions do not revolve around the self?

You don't have to like the opinion but there is no reason to hate on it.

This seems to be something many former drunks and druggies, I have met, have a very hard time accepting. It's an opinion, nothing more.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I was not hating on it. Not one bit. It made me angry, so I vented in a healthy manner by coming to SR to do so. Also, I do not go to AA so what they teach there does not apply to me. I'm a 19 year old girl with a very big attitude problem. I'm pretty sure every alcoholic would be pissed off by that statement that was made. Opinion or not, it should not have been said.

Give me a fricken break.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Che

If she is an alcoholic herself, it may be a half-joking way of putting herself down/warning others about her. That's sad.

It doesn't **** me off. It doesn't really even make sense. I don't think anyone is going to read it and start treating alcoholics any differently than they already do..

Good you vent here rather than at her. I don't think it's worth it to get upset over things like this... It's too common.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Hooty, in AA we have a saying, "So our troubles, we think, are of our own making."

I'm not condoning the Facebook post but, if it's bothering you....and especially if it's STILL bothering you (3 days later)......well, that's not on her anymore. It's on you.

I dunno why but for some reason we alkies like to wallow in our own misery..... And don't feel bad, I do it too. Heck, I've done it here on SR : go back to read a post that made me mad.....then go read it again later........and again after that. That's ME feeding the wrong dog - feeding the dog of resentment rather than the dog of forgiveness/acceptance/tolerance/love.

I;m not saying you're "wrong" or messing up..... just take a look at it though.