Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

All the lies, seems something most have in common, interesting.

Notices

Old 03-20-2011, 08:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I've been reading around the site, and finding that lies, lots of lies is something that is getting mentioned a lot. I really thought it was just me, well, I know everyone exaggerates when drunk but just outright lies for no reason, I never thought i was one of many. That obviously leads to something in common, well probably.
I'll guess it is deeper than just bored and needing attention. I think my reasons are that for just one moment I need to feel someone has a little attention for me, I am a thought process in someone elses head, and I will tell any kind of lie to make that moment be for me, screw the consequences of when they find out I'm not working such and such or so and so didn't die, so and so isn't having an affair. Pretty major stuff to be playing with peoples minds. I sometimes think I do it in the hope someone reacts and beats me up.

Does anyone relate or are your reasons for lying different?
Old 03-20-2011, 09:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I lied to make myself more interesting, to get myself out of trouble, for the sake of saying something, and to protect myself from the shame of my addiction.

I also lied for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

It's better being comfortable in myself and being honest, quite frankly

D
Old 03-21-2011, 02:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

At age 4...I got my first spanking for lying.
When my brother Stephen was born I told all the
neighbors his name was Phillip and he was adopted.

Most of my childhood spankings were for lying..just
pointless lies.....such as above.
I wanted everything to be larger and brighter ..like the movies

I did outgrow lying but when my drinking slid me into
alcoholism...came the evasive rationalizing lies...expecially
to myself.

With AA recovery....I no longer lie to myself ..however I do
lie to keep someone else from feeling bad about anything.

Yesterday I told my ill neighbor she looked vbetter when she
asked...tho she did not. I will lie again I expect.
The point of lying for me now...is do no harm.

My life is not a movie nor did it turn out as I had planned
It's much better ....
Old 03-21-2011, 03:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I lied even if the truth sounded better. I thought alcohol made me pretty, popular, funny, all around entertaining. Quite the opposite! I lied to cover what i was doing, what I said, what I did, and now I realize that I made up things just to have interesting things going on. Sick Sick Sick disease.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can relate to that exactly.. I'd lie all the time just to have some sort of attention my way. Even if it was negative attention... I still craved it. Glad it has stopped for me.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I lied to make myself more interesting, to get myself out of trouble, for the sake of saying something, and to protect myself from the shame of my addiction.

I also lied for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

It's better being comfortable in myself and being honest, quite frankly

D
This says it all.

My favorite lying story is I pretended to be British with a heavy accent hitting on a girl. I got her number and she even called me. I didn't have the balls to keep the charade up sober, so there was really no point.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Che

I get a lump of coal in my stomach when I tell a lie... Really, I hate myself even when I keep the truth from someone who'd probably want to know.

I lie about some things, but it is really painful for me. It is basically admitting that I don't think the complete truth of myself is something people can like. I try to do my best to live my life in such a way that I won't need to tell lies, but the past is still bitter and doesn't go away. I don't lie to glorify myself, but there are some secrets I am too afraid to tell anyone. It's actually kind of funny... Two levels of secrets that I hold. The ones that I write in a notebook and kind of hope will eventually be read, and the ones I can't even tell my notebook :P

On the specific subject of drinking... There's a lot of people I've told who are my friends, but there's other people who I am too scared knowing how much less they would think of me. Well, there's very few people like that, but those are the people I hold dearest.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My lies hide me.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Most of all like Dee stated, I lied to myself.
All my lies were alcohol related:
I lied on how much and how often I drank.
I lied when I called in sick with the flu..LOL.
I'm totally sober and honest today.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

Although i 'did' tell lies through-out my addiction, ive never been a malicious person.
I did however paint things a different colour to reality, but it was directly linked to the, spaghetti thoughts, of Alcoholism.

I believe the most potent weapon one can wield is a lie. Its sad too, because one can recieve great pride in a clear conscience.

Alcohol has a very negative affect on human nature in this respect, regardless of where a person is in terms of personality.

Thanks, a valuable reminder.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

In a very sick way, it used to be very comforting to bury myself under a pile of my own lies. Lies I told myself (I'll still be able to work tomorrow with two hours of sleep, drunk and high out of my mind) and lies I told others (I dont have. Problem, I'm not an alcoholic-you wouldn't be with someone so out if control)
They were like empty calories, filling but useless. And very harmful, and very flammable.