Notices

A Moment of Levity...

Old 03-20-2011, 10:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Moment of Levity...

One of the things which has become important to me since I stopped drinking 11 months ago is attending a church service~~ something I hadn't done in approximately 30 years. I didn't expect this to be part of my Recovery plan, but it's fit in nicely & has become something meaningful & important & of value to me~~ plus a lot of fun, which REALLY blows me away as I grew up in the Hellfire & Damnation type of religion & this place is so not that.

Anyway~~ I play guitar in a little band there & attend an early morning contemporary service where breakfast is actually served & eaten... coffee, juice, milk, donuts, sausage & biscuits, etc. This morning after the actual service & before the class began I poured myself a cup of OJ just as I do every Sunday, & took a big ol' gulp of it because I'd been anticipating that OJ all through the singing & playing.

Only, THIS morning, instead of it being regular ol' OJ, I found something in my mouth which completely startled & baffled me. I swallowed it & had this vague deja vu sensation as I struggled to identify both the taste & the immediate sensory reaction to it, utterly bewildered at my simultaneous feelings of 'What the--' & 'Yum! MORE!' For a second I thought I'd lost my mind, I felt displaced & disoriented, took another sip, much smaller & more cautious this time, & realized, in SHOCK, what I was tasting was... alcohol. I asked the room at large, "What kind of juice IS this?!" & then informed them, "This is alcohol people...." The Preacher's wife asked me, stunned, "WHAT? Is it fermented?" (meaning the OJ) "Maybe you're just really sensitive to~~" & I handed her the cup & she took a sip & made a face & started giggling~~ & I was giggling also because the LAST place I expected to get a shot of accidental booze was Sunday morning at CHURCH.

OJ. Out of the gro store jug. Expired only 2 days ago & it was a jug of Orange Sangria or something. What's especially funny is not one person who had had a cup of it before me had mentioned it. And you gotta laugh when something this unexpected happens & tosses you a curve ball out of the blue~~ while still acknowledging my body/senses reacted to it just like always: YUM. MORE!

I told them the next time they were serving Mimosas they needed to put the little umbrellas out, to warn me. Heeeeee!

I also told them they'd be called in as witnesses to testify if my Cup o' Pee comes back positive next time. :rotfxko:rotfxko

(Hope this made somebody besides me giggle!)
Old 03-20-2011, 02:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

As Screwdriveers had been my breakfast drink for years before I quit
In sobriety OJ no longer tasted the way I preferred on it's own.
I gave it up long ago.

I really enjoy the fellowshipping I've seen in contemporary churches.
Your putting your talents to good use too.
Pleased you found one that suits you...