Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Do you think it matters how long you stay in inpatient Rehab?

Notices

Old 03-17-2011, 04:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
High on Life

Originally, when I signed up for Rehab, they told me 30 days inpatient and 30-45 days of outpatient. Yesterday, my therapist hit me with another 30 days of inpatient. I was like that's not what you told me originally. She responded, "You are a severe case and have late stage alcoholism".

How did my case change since I have been in Rehab, it's the same case that I presented when I signed up for Rehab. In fact if anything, things have improved quite a bit. I asked "Why do you want me to stay an extra 30 days, is it because you think I'm gonna relapse"? She said, "I'm not so worried about you relapsing, but if you are in Rehab you can focus more". I was like I'm not giving you $17,000 more dollars so I can focus more, I can focus perfectly fine at home with less headaches to be perfectly honest. After I had thought it over, it's really not about the money, I'm just tired of being here and feel like I'm ready for my next stage of recovery.

And also to my surprise, my lover has quit drinking and removed all the alcohol out of the house.

So my question is, "Do you think it matters how long you stay inpatient"?? They keep preaching everyday that it doesn't matter what you do in treatment, it's what you do afterward. I also have seen cases where someone is paying with insurance and as soon as their insurance stops paying, they quickly put them in outpatient, but when you're self pay they try to figure out ways to keep you longer.

Well anyway, I need their approval to go to outpatient as I have taken a sick leave from work and need clearance to return, but they have all the control.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know nothing about rehab TE, but go back and read those posts you made before you went in man.

Another 30 days out of real life may indeed give you that focus room, and help shore up things so that doesn't happen again.

FWIW I think I'd take the advice you're getting

D
Old 03-17-2011, 04:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

2 weeks came and I thought I was going
home. Instead they told me they were
sending me to a halfway house out of state
for a month. I begged them to keep me there
in rehab so I wouldnt be sent away from
my little family anymore than I had to.

So I stayed the 28 days and they tacked on
a 6 week outpatiant aftercare program.

I was told in rehab if i was let go I would
certainly relapse. Fear kept me on the path
of recovery doing whatever I needed to do
to stay sober and be close to my little family.

That was 20 yrs. ago and I am still on the path
of recovery living happy joyous and free from
the addiction of alcohol.

I for myself am glad my family stepped in with
a family intervention when they did. They were
doing for me what I couldnt do for myself.

I dont regret one moment of what transpired
at that time in my life. Infact my family and rehab
saved my life because I was incapable of stopping
the drinking cycle on my own.

2 weeks wasnt gonna cure me, nor 28 days, But
that time away from alcohol allowed me to pick up
some tools and knowledge of my alcoholism and
set me on the path of recovery learning to live one
day at a time without alcohol.

I listened and learned recovery from many of those
who have stayed sober many years before me. If
they could stay sober under any circumstances using
the steps and principles set down before us in the
programs offered to us, then I could too.

And I have and and still do 20 yrs later.

Passing on my own experiences, strengths and hopes
with those who still suffer allows me another day
sober. And Ive learned to have fun doing it.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That is a really difficult question to answer. I had a Home, a job, etc to get back to when I checked myself in. I was looking to get on the "right track" (De-tox and after care) it's only something you can decide...But the people who really stayed the longest and returned several times that I heard thier stories about, etc, did not have jobs, obligations, (so what the heck?) but that was my observation. It's a very safe haven for those who do not have "a lot" or even some to lose) if you know what I mean...

I stumbled when I left but I know I have way too much going for me to hole and return multiple times. I go to work ever day, see a psych and SW and do what I can but I personally do not want to become part of the system. People who may just to have some food and a roof over my head for 30 days plus then get out and go on benders?. A lot told me this was their 3rd or 4th or 5th time, very sad but I observed a lot of that.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I've heard a lot of good things about Sober Houses. Maybe something like that would be a good intermediate step. I think the additional focus isn't a bad idea. You've been in some pretty scary places--some additional reinforcement wouldn't hurt.

You know by now how easy it is to fool ourselves about how "better" we are, at times.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't know.

I was in for 60 days and when I first went in it was going to be up to 90. I was really p*ssed off that I had to be there in the first place and 90 days seemed really onerous... so, I worked my @ss off, did everything they told me to do, did the worksheets, service, community meetings... the whole deal... and I was out in 60...

It was really hard at first coming home... yea, the real work starts then... they say you have to change people, places, things... well, hell, was I to leave my home and family??? I did the whole 90 in 90, well, almost ... hmm, to answer your question...

Yes, I guess, it matters... follow direction... perhaps these people know best, ya know? But lots of late stage low bottom alkies recover with just a detox and AA... What do you think?
Old 03-18-2011, 05:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The "Drive thru" approach rarely works, Dee nailed it.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree with everyone here...in light of your recent relapse, i'd say to stay as long as you can afford to. you can't have too many tools to battle this thing, you know?

please keep us updated
Old 03-18-2011, 05:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I detoxed seven days in a psychatric ward and then spent 28 days in rehab. I was encouraged to go to a half-way house, and at times after I went home, I wished I'd agreed, but I had two kids to get home to. Five weeks away from them and imposing on family for their care was enough--but I wouldn't go back and check myself out early.

For me, the greatest value in rehab was the ability to focus on recovery every waking moment. My hat is off to the many folks I know who rolled into the rooms of AA, got a sponsor, took the steps, and stayed sober without any rehab at all. I had zero coping skills, zero ability to deal with stress sober--so the safe place was very beneficial for me. It helped me to crystallize my reasons for wanting to be sober. And as bad as my bottom was, I got a glimpse of the lives of some who'd followed the demon down even further--wet brain, serious, serious DTs, neurological damage to the point that folks a month sober still couldn't hold a coffee cup or a cigarette. Hell, I'd only lost the use of my legs, and as twisted as my thinking was, I could put a thought or two together.

I'm glad I didn't get kicked to the curb after a week or two. I needed the full 28 days. I initially wanted sobriety because my kids deserved a better mother. The reality of my condition came home to me in that month, and it was more. I wanted to live, and I knew if I didn't stay sober, I'd be dead soon--or worse. If you ever hear someone say, "The lucky ones die when they go back to drinking," you're probably hearing someone who's seen some serious bottoms.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 03-18-2011, 02:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
High on Life

The therapists had a staffing here yesterday to discuss my case. They even asked for the input of my sponsor and personal therapist. After the meeting they agreed to drop the original 4 weeks of additional rehab to 2 weeks additional. After that, then I will be cleared to enter outpatient rehab. Now I'm just waiting on the money lady to crunch the numbers and tell me what kind of deal they can give me.

Some how in my head last night, I kind of figured that things would end up like this, so I feel a little better about things. I told God to do what he thought was right for me and I guess this is it.

I know in situations like this we are not supposed to worry about money, because without our recovery, money will not be an issue. However, the reality of things is that money does matter and I have lawyers and school to think about, so I'm glad that we were able to come to a some what reasonable solution.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Glad you and they worked it out, TheEnd......

The money thing isn't easy, I know. But maybe they can work with you on time payments. That's what I had to do...... and it was hard to be away for 30 days (single mom with 3 children), but I had ignored my problems and myself for soooo long. It's hard to get that kind of opportunity when there are stressors all around us.

I like your attitude of acceptance about this and it may indeed be your HP that is looking out for you.....
Old 03-19-2011, 06:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yup, good job. I know when I'm in a dither about which course to take, prayer helps a LOT. Then I let go of it, trusting that things will work out the way they should. It's a relief not to have to figure out all the possible contingencies to the Nth degree. Let Whoever sees the Big Picture work out the details.