Notices

Finding ridiculous reasons to drink

Old 03-16-2011, 07:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I'm trying to try.

Finding ridiculous reasons to drink

Anyone ever find themselves coming up with the most incredibly stupid reasons to drink? I mean, really warped reasons. For example, I don't like my sobriety date. It is 3-12-11. The number isn't working for me. I hate the number 3. The fact that 12 and 11 are right next to each other bothers me. Today I caught myself thinking, Wouldn't it be nice to have a date like 8-26-11? Meaning, I should drink until then and have a nice, "pretty" sobriety date I can be happy with!

Man, the crap my brain comes up with...but this is genuinely bugging me!
Old 03-16-2011, 07:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Yeah, we alkies can always find a reason to drink and they are ALL ridiculous reasons. Don't let it bug you too much. Accept it for what it is...that freaking alcoholic voice telling us that we can drink and start sobriety over later. Uh huh.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm trying to try.

Like, I'm a little weird about numbers. Always have been. I dislike odd numbers except for 7 and 11 and my fave number is 6. I hate the numbers 3, 5 and 9. But I hate 3 the most.

My last date was 2-21-11. I thought it was a nice date; it worked. 2s and 1s and the 11 at the end. Nice. I could see myself getting that date tattooed on my body someday. But 3-12-11...just ew
Old 03-16-2011, 07:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

My problem was that I thought sobriety was a sacrifice. I had been a bad person who couldn't control my drinking. And my punishment was that I couldn't drink anymore. I wanted to delay my punishment and enjoy my last few days (weeks, months, years ) of drinking.

It wasn't until I could accept that life would be BETTER without alcohol that I could stay sober. And not even 'better' like chronic gangrene is better than amputation. Truly great. Life would be truly fantastic, peaceful, fun, fulfilling, invigorating, satisfying if I could stay sober.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by bella89 View Post
Like, I'm a little weird about numbers. Always have been. I dislike odd numbers except for 7 and 11 and my fave number is 6. I hate the numbers 3, 5 and 9. But I hate 3 the most.

My last date was 2-21-11. I thought it was a nice date; it worked. 2s and 1s and the 11 at the end. Nice. I could see myself getting that date tattooed on my body someday. But 3-12-11...just ew
If it were me I'd say to myself "You're obsessing about numbers again. It's nonsensical and distracting you from reality" and then think about something else. I had to pull myself back in from that kind of thinking many many times in early sobriety.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I wouldn't dwell on it Bella. Put dates and numbers out of your mind and concentrate on the happy productive person you are becoming . The alcoholic voice is very cunning. It will try to get you to drink for any reason. Don't listen!!! You might want to look into CRT to learn ways to re-wire your thinking. It worked great for me. Doesn't hurt to have some back-up.

Best Wishes to You!
Old 03-16-2011, 08:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awakening...

I was the queen of stupid reasons to drink. The weather is too rainy, someone made me mad, someone didn't phone me, ect.
Thankfully, the obsession was removed.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Haha yep! I've made up holidays in order to get drunk. After a while I didn't need an occasion, I just drank all the time. My last drunkard was Feb 19 I try not to focus on the # of days though. Its like the numbers on the scale. It can drive u crazy!
Old 03-16-2011, 08:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm working on forgetting numbers and realizing that we all have today and that is what really matters. What can I do to help my sobriety and better my life today!
Old 03-16-2011, 08:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hooligan

I was just pondering the other night about relapsing on St.Patrick day well because i am Irish heritage and all
Old 03-16-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Like I said on another thread, I tried that "special occasion" thing a few years back. It got to where taking out the trash was a special occasion.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I sobered up on 11-21-10. No specific reason for that date, but it is now my favorite combination of numbers.

I would drive 5 miles out of my way north after work, only to drive an additional 12 miles south to get home because that is where the closest liquor store was. Couldn't have just driven that 7 miles south to get to the liquor store in my town.

Cunning, Baffling, and Powerful!

Zube