Notices

Nightmares

Old 03-15-2011, 11:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nightmares

So in 4 days I will be 2 years sober. I'm only 19 years old and I'm struggling with this horrid disease of alcoholism. I've read a lot of the things you guys have written on here and I don't know how you do it sometimes. I look up to all of you who have a lot harder times than I do, even if you've been sober for a shorter time than me and even if you've fallen off the wagon a few times. It amazes me that some of you are able to go through some of the things you do and still be able to stay sober.
Anyway... getting off track here... Sorry, whenever I have something going on in my head I tend to ramble on and on.

But I have a question.. Mostly for people who have been sober for longer than I have. But I'll take advice or input from anybody.

Shortly after I quit drinking and went through withdrawals I would always have nightmares almost every night of me drinking and not knowing if it really happened when I woke up the next morning.

They passed after a while but now lately for the past few months they came back. Almost, again, on a nightly basis I have these nightmares. I'll be out partying with old friends, I'll be at the bar with my dad having a few drinks, etc.

I'll wake up the next morning scared out of my mind of not knowing what's real and what's not. I think to myself "Oh God did that really happen... What if so-and-so finds out..." They're that bad where I even sometimes call the people I was with in my dreams and asking them what happened last night and then they think I'm crazy because nothing happened and I wasn't with them and haven't even talked to them in God knows how long.

I'm just wondering....

Will they ever stop haunting me? I'm 19 years old, the fact that I'm already an alcoholic is bad enough to deal with. These nightmares just need to go away... I'm so sick of not knowing what's real when I wake up.

I need to be able to wake up happy and refreshed every morning. Not scared, shaking, and almost crying because of something that didn't actually happen.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi! Congratulations on your sobriety! That's so wonderful that you realized your problem and are taking care of it when you are young! I haven't had those nightmares, but here is a thread to check out about people who have had them. I hope this helps!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ightmares.html
Old 03-16-2011, 01:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Sorry to know this is happpening and it did not for me
after such a long sober period.
I hope you will check with your doctor about the situation

Congratulations on chooseing a sober life...
4 years ...an achiefment for sure!