Notices

The guilt trippers

Old 03-15-2011, 09:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The guilt trippers

Its been over a year since I lived in this town and I still run into people who know i'm a drunk because of how bad my drinking problem was and how public I made it by going out most nights.

Have you ever noticed that the people who focus the most intently on trying to make you feel lower than dirt are always the big winners who are ugly inside and out, boring, you get the feeling their own family doesn't like them, etc. Sometimes I think these people are so unhappy and dislike themselves so much that tearing you down does make them feel better because it keeps them from feeling like such a loser inside for a moment while they focus on your problems, no matter how far in the past they are.

There is a cliche about the best way to get back at someone is to live your life well and to the fullest. I think its not just a cliche though I think that really is the best way to win in these situations. If you fill your life with treasure whether that be good relationships with friends and family or connecting to your higher power or exploring the world around you or staying healthy or working out to get your body in shape there really is a point where these people are intimidated by what you have going on. They can no longer touch you because you have left them so far in your dust.

The guilt trips and feelings of worthlessness are coming less and less for me. I wonder at times if I will ever completely kill them. I know that my attitude has a huge effect on them though.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Like you said it is how you react to these incidents or people...

I hang around with a few old timers, one has 25 years sober, everytime he bumps into old drinking "buddies" they talk about when he was drunk and the antics they got up to in the 5 minutes they manage to corner him...

Its useful to remember that if you had a more than fleeting relationship with another person, and you then disappear from the relationship, then when you reconnect into that person they will see you as the person they last had significant contact with...basically if you stay sober and bump into a drinking buddy in 10 years time who you haven't had much contact with in that time you will still be the ass at the bar because that's all they know of you...and that makes perfect sense to me:-)