Notices

Take the cotton out of your ears....

Old 03-15-2011, 10:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Take the cotton out of your ears....

...and put it in your mouth.

Something you may have heard at AA meetings, if you've attended more than a handful. Would be interesting to see how many AA members here have actually heard that statement-I have-at a meeting.

But we come to an online forum, admittedly many here aren't members of AA but some are.

Does the 'rule' still apply here, for the 'new' members of AA that post here?

Discuss.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i don't think so. i was a member of a hard core step group that was militant to put it lightly.

it used to really pi$$ me off when they said it to newbies with almost no other advise. imo, it's like the blind leading the blind at that point. if that's all they can add to a newbie then they need to really re-examine thier own program. it's hard enough to get a newbie to open up. i always attributed those sayings to mean spirited people who couldn't articulate anything better to say.

...just my 2 cents.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I think old timers that say that are just very angry people. Newcomers have a right to say anything they want to concerning their drinking and usually do. They are the most important people in the room.Most newcomers at AA meetings i go to are coming out of treatment centers where they know they have to share if they want to be sober. It is one of the most dangerous sayings in AA. I always encourage newcomers to share at meetings.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just remember why they are called "Old Timers" Just sayin...
Old 03-15-2011, 11:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just to be clear, I'm not in AA. But I'd say that rule assumes that old-timers have the answers, and newcomers don't. I'm happy to listen to anyone. Besides, in my experience, telling someone to shut up and listen is not an effective way of making myself heard....
Old 03-15-2011, 11:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just my 2 cents but as a new comer look where my best thinking got me. If I had all the answers I wouldnt be sitting in a meeting. Thats all...
Old 03-15-2011, 11:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One of the very first AA meetings I attended was held in the rehab facility where I was staying. It was a fairly large meeting with probably over 100 people there in addition to the inpatient crowd. It was chaired by an addict (not an alcoholic), and was run by a bunch of us with less than 30 days of inpatient sobriety.

After a 1/2 hour or so, this old guy along the side of the room stands up red-faced and screams at us, "Shut the f**k up", repeatedly. A bunch of us were offended and complained to the treatment staff and blah blah blah.

This guy may not have been the carrying the message in a way that was useful. He was, however, entirely correct in his assessment. He had seen hundreds of us come through before, clinging to our old views and beliefs, full of what we thought we needed, and in reality having no clue how to stay sober. We were utterly full of crap.

Again, I'm not condoning an old timer taking that approach. But, what I (and others) was saying in that meeting was nonsense. It was just simply the ideas about sobriety from an alcoholic mind that had zero experience with actually being sober. And it had nothing to do with AA, although I would have assured you it did.

The fact was that I (and others) clung to my ideas, left rehab trying to put those ideas into practice, and hung on for a few months before getting drunk. I did not have a solution to my alcoholism, and certainly not the AA solution. Everything I said was a danger to someone in need of that solution.

The same is true in the rooms of AA everyday. A lot of unrecovered alcoholics speaking their opinions about recovery, with very little experience of actually being recovered. It's of very little use to someone who needs AA's solution, and quite harmful to those same people.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stugotz View Post
Just remember why they are called "Old Timers" Just sayin...
yeah i get what you're sayin, but it dosen't mean their program is quality just because they've collected a crap load of chips.

some of those "old timers" in my group didn't even sponsor anyone anymore and hadn't done any step work in years. but still.....in most of the attendees eyes, in my group... they had all of the answers..... nah, man. in my group they just had alot of gullible people imo.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble View Post
Just to be clear, I'm not in AA. But I'd say that rule assumes that old-timers have the answers, and newcomers don't. I'm happy to listen to anyone. Besides, in my experience, telling someone to shut up and listen is not an effective way of making myself heard....
Lots of people take this attitude...like "I did it...why can't you?" One member here that doesn't post often took that tone with a newcomer...bummer.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BullDog777 View Post
yeah i get what you're sayin, but it dosen't mean their program is quality just because they've collected a crap load of chips.
Not at all but all Im gonna say is that if Im lost Im gonna listen to someone who knows the way out, not the way in. Just sayin...
Old 03-15-2011, 11:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Bulldog, I agree with you. I think some newcomers don't know any better & take the approach that the old timers are always right. Newcomers are very vulnerable and are easily influenced at the start of sobriety.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A kind approach will keep people coming back here. Doesn't mean we don't need a kick in the pants at times or to be firm with, but being somewhat understanding and kind goes a long way...especially someone who is really trying. IMO anyway.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stugotz View Post
Not at all but all Im gonna say is that if Im lost Im gonna listen to someone who knows the way out. Just sayin...
right...and you'd think that after a couple of decades, these "old timers" would be the guys to provide it...but often times, it dosen't come across that way. alot of times these guys forget the love part of the tough love.

i'll give you an example.

there was a guy in my group who had almost 30 years in AA. stayed sober since the day he got in. in the early years, he sponsored half our group, had grand sponcees, and so fourth. he was supposed to be some kinda "yoda" step guy. always yelling at the new comers, "your best thinking got you here! sit down, shut up! and so forth.

he was so militant that he used to be known for sliding a 38 revolver across the table to someone who wasn't listening and yell at them.."do yourself a favor if you can't shut the F up and take a suggestion!"

i'd seen him do it.

one night he slid the revolver across the table to the wrong dude, and the newbie shot himself in the head and the "old timer" went out and relapsed.

in light of this, the group has changed alot. guys who were so hardcore to verbally humiliate some newbies in a meeting to show how hardcore they were have adopted a more caring approach.

i know this example is extreme, but none of those "sayings" imo offer any experience, strength or hope" they just provide humiliation.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

OMG. Which shows you just how fragile some people are. How sad for both.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

holyshit bulldog. That's some story.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

If you saw "Clean and Sober", Michael Keaton needed to have an Old Timer on his a**. Not everyone fits into that catagory. But lots do!!!
Old 03-15-2011, 12:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chris2011 View Post
If you saw "Clean and Sober", Michael Keaton needed to have an Old Timer on his a**. Not everyone fits into that catagory. But lots do!!!
very true
Old 03-15-2011, 12:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BullDog777 View Post
he was so militant that he used to be known for sliding a 38 revolver across the table to someone who wasn't listening and yell at them.."do yourself a favor if you can't shut the F up and take a suggestion!"

i'd seen him do it.

one night he slid the revolver across the table to the wrong dude, and the newbie shot himself in the head and the "old timer" went out and relapsed.
Unfrigging believable
Old 03-15-2011, 12:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RV GTO View Post
Unfrigging believable

Yup. Would like to thank all of the AA members that offered their opinions in this thread!
Old 03-15-2011, 12:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I don't do AA thus the rules don't apply to me. I was told a couple of times by AAers when I joined to "stuff it" although politely. I obviously didn't. If I wanted to follow AAs rules I would join AA, I joined SR.