Notices

shaking hands/fingers

Old 03-13-2011, 05:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
If the tremors are alcohol-related, then your best course is quitting altogether. I think that some people are more susceptible to physical damage from alcohol than others. Some people get end-stage liver disease in their twenties or thirties, others drink for much longer before showing physical symptoms.

Obviously you think you are drinking too much, or you wouldn't be here. Social drinkers don't aspire to be social drinkers, and alcohol problems tend to progress, sometimes very rapidly.

Historically people would die in their 50's with liver failure, now there are more and more cases of people dying from Cirrhosis in there 30's as you stated. Liver failure is one of the worst ways to die. Luckily, I will never drink again so I dont have to give myself guilt trips anymore or bairgain. I am happier somber, never thought I would be. I always thought I would be miserable without drinking but I am not. I like to read now and learn new things......
Old 03-13-2011, 06:18 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

I am 27. I drank every night for 8 maybe 9...hell maybe 10 years. The worst of it though was the last 5 years (since I got out of school). My step dad, about 2 months before I finally quit noticed while we were out to dinner. We had got an appetizer and I was using the spoon to get some onto my plate. I was shaking while spooning it out. Not terrible that anything was spilling out, but I was trying my damnedest to minimize it. Well, he's a detective and has been a police officer for over 30 years and nothing got by him. Asked me what the hell you shaking for (knowing full well how bad my drinking was). I forget what cockamamie excuse I gave. Ofc it went away as I drank my tall beer with dinner.

I'm a successful professional, a chemist, and finished Cume (really? I can't post the actual latin word? LOL) Laude and departmental honors despite my drinking while in school all the time. Worked for going on 4 years now. And finally, even though I thought I was managing and being a "functional alcoholic" they started to notice at work. Talked to my dr, got tests, got help, got some meds to handle those first few days. Haven't had a drink since January 15th now. Best thing I've ever done. Do I still get cravings? Hell yes. Do I still want to rush to the store sometimes and get alcohol? You bet your ass. But slowly, these have been shorter lived. It might take me 10 minutes to get through an episode now whereas before it was the entire damn night. My work quality has improved, I've been getting overtime again with no questions, my friendships and relationships with my family is improving and I am finding my voice and confidence again. Will I slip up in the future? Statistically speaking, probably. But I will try everything in my power not to.

Good luck to you and use this forum as a place to gather strength from those who were in your shoes (and may still be there). It's so much better and brighter on this side, I promise...(and I know it will only continue to be that way as more time passes)
Old 03-13-2011, 06:47 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

That depends on a lot of things. I wouldn't be able to comment on your own situation. I noticed that I was starting to have a bad grip on a drinking glass (it would start to wobble) and I wondered if there was a connection to my drinking. Other times, I would stretch out my fingers to see if they were quivering (as a test of how nervous I was before a challenge of some kind, like a yucky meeting, etc) and they often would; and when they didn't, I told myself that was a sign I wasn't nervous. I still didn't think about it all that much. After I quit drinking, I was curious about it though. I think it was around my 2nd or third month that I noticed the quivering was gone. I have had what I think is anxiety a number of times since then but I think the quivering in the fingers is gone.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:09 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I had the shakes a few times during my drinking career....but I had eye twitches really bad sometimes...they are totally gone now...
Old 03-13-2011, 08:31 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

During the last few years of my drinking days I'd get shakes while eating soup or doing manual tasks that required still hands. Good thing I'm not a surgeon.

Anyway I never made the association with drinking but now that I don't drink it doesn't happen. Go figure.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:32 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I was still drinking when I adopted my dog. I remember shaking so bad I could hardly fill out the paperwork! It always hit me during a hangover.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:51 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Yeah i remember a morning after a house party during my school days (about 18) when i was eating breakfast in their kitchen and my spoon was literally rattling in the bowl as i ate my breakfast! And that was before i became a 'full time' alcoholic, so ive always been suseptible.

So did you guys experience a a very faint buzzing in your hands/ arms?
Old 03-14-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dancook99 View Post
So did you guys experience a a very faint buzzing in your hands/ arms?
Yup.. It's nerve damage. Mine went away, but it basically felt a mild version of hitting your funny bone.. Would happen a lot during sleep as well (way worse then the mild kind you describe).
Old 03-14-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Not waving, but drowning

I had the eyelid twitch thing that someone mentioned as well. It went away when I stopped drinking, as did the other symptoms.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:39 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I haven't drank in about 3 months and I've noticed a significant improvement in my shaking. It's still there especially if I try to do certain fine motor movements and it pisses me off - but I did what I did and I can only go one way now.
I've also notice improved complexion and not losing my hair as I was. Believe it or not, my hearing has improved a lot too-weird huh?
Old 03-14-2011, 03:10 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Ive had itch skin at night too, not every night but bouts. Is something going seriously wrong. Been reading the internet and came across this. Im damn scared now.

Not everyone who has Cirrhosis has it because of
alcohol, but alcohol is the number one cause of it.
Not everyone who drinks gets cirrhosis, but many do
get it and don't know it cause the body doesn't show
symptoms right away...it usually starts when the liver
can no longer do the functions it once did and then
very serious symptom develop. Some people are
walking around with this disease and don't even know
they have it.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:11 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Im never drinking again thats for sure.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:18 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

good idea, DANCOOK99
Old 03-14-2011, 03:20 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

MUUNRAY.......shakes have stayed with you that long?
Old 03-14-2011, 03:24 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

the shakes is the worst part.....along with the insomnia and gory nightmares.