Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Is there anything that helps an alcoholic trying to quit?

Notices

Is there anything that helps an alcoholic trying to quit?

Old 03-14-2011, 05:07 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

i was a chronic relapser for over a decade. i'd get a week here and there and then i'd always go back.

i realized after my last detox the reason why i did it.

Because it was EASY.

there were no real consequences. i never had to endure the feeling of a seizure or hallucinations or tremors....my wife and kid would continue to be there. the ability to get medically detoxed was killing me because everytime i relapsed, it was off to the doctors for another round of benzos to curb the withdrawal.

i did that for almost 10 years.

in the end, i got addicted to the withdrawal meds and i had to detox this last time the old fashioned way. i endured a 30 day detox and there were no meds available. i had hallucinations, seizures, stroke level blood pressure, vomiting, shaking, days and days with no sleep, and i could name 20 other symptoms i went through.

this time, the sobriety stuck. almost 16 months.

i'm not saying he shouldn't detox without supervision, but imo, the medical profession makes it too easy nowaways and i think it ups the instances of relapse. i won't ever go back because i know i'd never survive another detox. plain and simple.