Notices

today is like torture to my mind.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

today is like torture to my mind.

It is a beautiful, bright, sunny day out. Feels just like spring. I was doing fine all morning like I have all week. No real wants or even cravings for alcohol. Today something struck me and I couldn't figure it out at first. I began to get cranky, grumpy, irritable and frustrated, (even at myself - mostly at myself!) I then realized what it was. Today is the first saturday in years and years that I have not had anything at all to drink. Like I said, it's absolutely amazing out... All it is making me want to do and all I can think of is drinking a beer. Having one on the porch or going to a restaurant/bar and drinking it on the veranda or at a table outside. That's all I want, ONE beer. I feel as if I could stretch right out my skin.
Today is like torture. It seems like I'm actually torturing myself by not letting myself have one beer even though I know that I could stop after that. I could go all week next week like I did this week and not even think about having a beer.
This is so weird. I just got home and crawled into bed. I don't know what else to do. I feel like I should just sit here in bed until tomorrow morning.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know what you mean. It is absolutely beautiful outside today. I have been thinking about beer as well. All I know is if I have one it will turn into many, many more. And then morning comes and I will feel like crap. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice too, so imagine being hungover and not being able to enjoy it, ya know.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

It's days like these I am glad to be in AA and at this point would call my sponsor. In the program we call it the state of being irritable, restless and discontent. There's no cure for it; you just have to share it and go through it. Then - it passes. It does. Every time.

Hope it leaves soon. Much love.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Drink a lot of water and go out for a long walk. Or bring along any non alcoholic beverage of your choice or splurge if you can on something really healthy like a fresh squeezed juice and think of the healthy benefits you are nourishing yourself with. :ghug3 Keep up the great work and let us know how you fare.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hear you, Linz! When things are pleasant, I want a drink. In my alkie mind it will make everything "pleasanter" but I know I will feel dreadful the next day.

Every time you resist the craving, it's like a muscle. It gets stronger. Really, it does. Congratulations on your week!
Old 03-12-2011, 02:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's not easy, but getting through today will make you stronger.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sounds like a great opportunity for some meditation. For me, when the internal chatter gets too loud then I need to sit in the silence, let the chatter die, and listen to that which has the power to keep me from that first drink.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
where the light is

Once I came to accept that alcohol could not make my day or life better (there was a kind of mourning period I went through), I started to seek out things that WOULD in fact enhance my life.

There are so many things that are way better than that false promise alcohol used to give me.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DownWDisease View Post
I know what you mean. It is absolutely beautiful outside today. I have been thinking about beer as well. All I know is if I have one it will turn into many, many more. And then morning comes and I will feel like crap. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice too, so imagine being hungover and not being able to enjoy it, ya know.
Boy, if that ain't the truth!!!
Old 03-12-2011, 07:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well I did it! I made it through Saturday. Today was the hardest one yet, (7th day/night.) I felt extremely weak after having that insane, powerful craving for beer so badly this afternoon. What an odd feeling.
Instead I went outside to sit on my porch, read a book and drink some raspberry leaf tea. I felt great afterward!
Thanks to all of your support!
Old 03-12-2011, 08:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Excellent job, Linz!! The first weekend was the worst for me..... Even though I was a solitary drinker, I suddenly envied everyone that was going out to socialize over a few drinks. Strange......

Seeing that you can get through these times will give you more confidence the next time you feel this way - keep going (even if it's a minute at a time) - it's so worth it!
Old 03-14-2011, 05:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good Job Making it through the day Linz! Keep yourself busy! Call a sponsor (or a sober friend)! Pray!..Exercise, Drink Water,,,U did a good Job..
Old 03-14-2011, 10:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Linz View Post
I felt extremely weak after having that insane, powerful craving for beer so badly this afternoon. What an odd feeling.
Instead I went outside to sit on my porch,
Every time you resist a craving like that you get stronger, not weaker -- and next time it's easier. Way to go!

GG
Old 03-14-2011, 10:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Great job Linz!

You know, I drank when it was beautiful outside. I drank when it rained, when it snowed, during summertime, winter time, and all the seasons in between. I didn't drink everyday, but what the day was like had little to do with when I would drink.

I also drank no matter how I felt. Sad, glad, happy, angry, etc... It turns out my feelings had little to do with my drinking too, though I thought the total opposite.

We can and do recover and you can be living proof.

Kjell~
Old 03-15-2011, 01:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Each day you pass without a drink despite craving makes a big credit into your bank in terms of what you can handle next. Good job Linz