Notices

Where are my AA friends?

Old 03-13-2011, 08:07 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Attagirl! Glad you went, and were welcomed back.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:06 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

When I first came into the halls I heard allot about how AA people are wonderful and full of love etc. It actually kind of made me sick.

There is no one who likes the fellowship more than me, and by this I mean the "little fellowship" like rides to meetings and coffee etc. However, my experience is that you cannot depend on it and AA people are like the rest of society, they can and will fail you.

I was lucky in that I got a sponsor who taught me that the only thing I can really depend on is myself, my Big Book and of course the HP of my understanding. He used to tell me not to trust him because he was like the rest of the world, full of sh#t and that I should always check with the book. I remember once in a meeting when everyone was going on and on about how this meeting keeps them sober and the people in here are so good, blah blah blah.... It was a round robin and my sponsor commented that he could care less if everyone in the room drank and died, he would not place conditions on his sobriety and if everyone else was dead then he would take his book and go find a meeting. If there were no meetings then he would find a church or a hospital and then he could find a drunk to talk with.

His delivery may or may not need work but it taught me that I cannot depend on AA people... I am only setting myself up to get hurt or even worse, get drunk. And again I am a meetings, meetings, meetings type dude but I don't depend on them or the people in them.

I live now in a place with very limited access to meetings and my sponsor was right, the Big Book and a higher power is all I really need. Just my experience, YMMV.