Notices

Can I admit something?

Old 03-10-2011, 06:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can I admit something?

I'm not going to act on this impulse and know I just need to ride it out, but right now my mind is telling me that an ice cold martini with lots of olives would taste great and the buzz would be welcome.

Ugh.

Good thing I can remember that vodka makes me an angry ******** and gin makes me an uncoordinated slob.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Yes, if we could all stop at one, none of us would be here. It's good that you know the truth.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, that first martini (and it would be a HUGE one) would turn into 3 martinis, a bottle of wine and a few tokes by 9PM.

Thanks for reminding me.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Strive to be alive!

Originally Posted by Reset View Post
Good thing I can remember that vodka makes me an angry ********
Me too! What's in that stuff anyway!

Glad to hear you're feeling it will pass because it will. Take a breath, take a bath, take a walk, just don't take a drink. But I can relate to the craving!! They can be a real b**ch!
Old 03-10-2011, 08:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good job on thinking the drink thru....

This may not ve exact....but it was written by American author
Dorothy Parker..,admitted lush...

"A Maetini? Yes of course
Well ..2 at the most
3 under the table
4 under the host"
Old 03-11-2011, 04:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was watching an older episode of law and Order last night....Marlo Thomas guested as a retired judge giving advice in her living room....mixing these HUGE martinis with beatiful crystal glasses and these very attractive plump olives...she and the DA sat down on her attractive couch, sipped and chatted...wearing pretty clothes and make-up talking about a child abuser parent.

i kept staring at the drinks....and i thought about how good one would taste too....then i realized that the best part of the drink was the olives....and they would do me less harm...so i told myself if i wanted to get out of bed and eat olives go right ahead.....eat the whole JAR if i "needed" them.

i had already turned the heat down..it was too late and too cold to get up and satisfy my craving....and it passed.

but i didn't want the booze, i think i craved the "mood" the TV show created.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
That's exactly how I feel at times Fandy, thanks for expressing it that way. I miss the "mood", I want to figure out a way to create that mood w/o the alcohol, anyone have any suggestions?
Old 03-11-2011, 07:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I just mentioned that in rehab last night. That now a days any innocent TV show isn't safe if you are recovering. Or maybe I just notice it more...but they grab wine or a drink like nothing...! And who knows if its real. LOL
I was reading an article about Meredith Baxter Birney. She has a book out. She is recovering and would drink on the set. I wonder how many of those 'actors' were really using back in the day -or heck, even now.

If they could only portrayed the reality of an alcoholic on the beer/drink commercials instead of making it look so enticing....
Old 03-11-2011, 07:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Not waving, but drowning

I was watching an older episode of law and Order last night....Marlo Thomas guested as a retired judge giving advice in her living room....mixing these HUGE martinis with beatiful crystal glasses and these very attractive plump olives...she and the DA sat down on her attractive couch, sipped and chatted...wearing pretty clothes and make-up talking about a child abuser parent.

i kept staring at the drinks....and i thought about how good one would taste too....then i realized that the best part of the drink was the olives....and they would do me less harm...so i told myself if i wanted to get out of bed and eat olives go right ahead.....eat the whole JAR if i "needed" them.

i had already turned the heat down..it was too late and too cold to get up and satisfy my craving....and it passed.

I agree with you! There are all sorts of movies/tv shows where people have a nice glass of white wine in front of them, and it is almost a visual shorthand for luxurious relaxation. It does annoy me these days. Wish the producers could come up with a better shorthand!

It does make me realize what message shows may be sending to teens, though.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I wish i had packed some olives for my lunch salad today!!! i forgot.

yes, they never show people during regular shows eating mounds of Cherry Garcia...(except on the Food Network)
Old 03-11-2011, 01:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This reminds me that a big part of what I used to like about martinis was the ritual of preparing and consuming them. It ties into the whole mood thing you're talking about.

Now that I don't drink I'm a lot more aware of the presence of alcohol in TV shows. Dunno if any of you watch Cougartown, but the adults in it are constantly drinking beer and wine. Yet you never see them sloppy drunk, angry and lashing out at their kids or spouses, passing out or getting DUI's. It's always, "hey this amusing thing happened so let's finish the episode with a big goblet of red wine hahaha!"

The other one I've been watching lately is Californication. The main character drinks A LOT. I know that'supposed to be part of his flawed character but the guy has to be driving drunk all the time given the amount he drinks. And what I don't buy is that he drinks so much but still manages to be this loving, attentive, emotionally in-tune parent. I could never do that when I was drinking so much.

Oh well. I'm just glad I quit and am now a lot more aware of what's going on with my kids. It's been great actually.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jamdls View Post
That's exactly how I feel at times Fandy, thanks for expressing it that way. I miss the "mood", I want to figure out a way to create that mood w/o the alcohol, anyone have any suggestions?
Here's a technique that has worked for me and some of my now sober friends to get us over the "how can I have the mood without the booze?" shakes:

Put on luxurious chill music. Change out of your pajamas into something elegant, or at the very least not frumpy

Fix yourself a fancy ice-cold goblet of spring water with a few drops of Alcohol Free Bitters and three BIG juicy olives (if you are a wine drinker, get some concord or white grape juice).

Visualize or imagine how wonderful it will feel when you do this at the next party or gathering; see yourself being gracious and charming and sociable and sophisticated and elegant, all smooth and easy, holding your refreshing, healthy and very attractive-looking drink. Feel the music, taste the olives, hear in your mind's ear the easy laughter and charming chatter. See yourself driving safely home after this gathering, happy and light after a wonderful evening with friends.

Think about three small things you can do this week that will get you closer to your goals.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

Originally Posted by jamdls View Post
I think the key is in our 5 senses, they all provoke emotion. Mainly 2 are used while you watch your show.

Just think... if you could use all 5! ...and we do sometimes, heh now thats progress!

We, (not just addicts of any kind but everyone) should just learn how to stimulate ourselves naturally. Mite cause a global ression and other up n downs, heh but we'd be havin a good time!

Sorry for the dribble but thats my suggestion ;-)
Old 03-11-2011, 07:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Strive to be alive!

I want to figure out a way to create that mood w/o the alcohol, anyone have any suggestions?
I like stimmed's suggestion:
Sorry for the dribble
But I guess that creates the mood of when drinking too much huh?!

(sorry just couldn't pass that one up)
Old 03-11-2011, 09:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wine was my poison. Tonight I watched "Sideways", a movie I loved when I first saw it a few years ago. Watching it tonight I had a few moments when I fondly remembered many nights with good wine, but I pulled out my list of reasons for staying sober and reminded myself that as delicious as it is, it is poison to me. All the best my friend!