Notices

Relapse nightmares

Old 03-07-2011, 05:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapse nightmares

I'm 31 days sober and sometimes it feels like i'm not. Every night I relapse in my dream. I experienced this when I stopped smoking pot too. It seems to happen every night.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

It's very common. They'll get fewer and farther between with time, but still might pop up occasionally on down the road. The good thing is, when you wake up, you realize that you didn't really relapse at all.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I very very rarely get bad dreams. This is a ritual I do every night before bed:

I pray asking for protection for everyone I love and care about
I pray thanking my higher power I choose to call God for everything good in my life one by one
Sometimes I spend a couple of minutes daydreaming about a movie I like; I find it increases my chances of having a dream where I think I'm in the movie.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had rel,apse dreams occasionally at first. Last week I dreamt I was in a drinking situation and I told everyone I don't drink...it felt great.

Hang in there it gets better...I like uniqueny idea
Old 03-07-2011, 07:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had those dreams too when I first quit but they got less common as the months went by.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've had a couple. I take it as a good sign that like you, I'd label them nightmares. I didn't actually dream about drinking—I just suddenly realized I had been drinking, and was basically appalled to find myself there.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had them also. Vitamin B-6 stops my nightmares. I had a relative die a couple months ago,and was having wierd nightmares. B-6 worked again.
Fred
Old 03-07-2011, 07:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

I have them still, and had a lot at first. I did some Internet research and what I found on one site was that if it's a dream where youre unhappy to be drinking, it's progress (your brain Is working on recovery overtime by acting out fears in dreams to teach you something). On the other hand, if you dream you are happily drinking then this could mean your recovery is not going as strong as it could be. I can't put the link here now but it is worth googling; it made me feel better. Anyway, you aren't alone in this experience!
Old 03-07-2011, 07:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I might have had one or two of those recently, not sure. For someone with a bizarre potential for memory, for some reason, I don't have a big catalogue of dreams. (If you watch "House," there was a character with OCD who reminded me of me because she was kind of plagued by the gift of being able to remember so much. I'm not "like her," but maybe several notches down from her.) But I would say I have had at least two of those "I drank" dreams in the last 15 months, since I quit.

This past week I had a dream that I interrupted (because it was feeling like a nightmare) and it involved JEALOUSY of the romantic variety.

I don't know if it's because we're so used to waking up half-drunk or because we confuse one sensation with another or what, but the dreams and the faux hangover thing are something to contend with. Some people have it more than others, apparently. I don't have it much, but when I do, I think to myself that I overslept and I don't quite like the feeling. I don't know what else to say other than to push past it and go about the day.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've had those nightmares after giving up both cigarettes and alcohol before. Thanks to everyone who has given suggestions - I'll definitely remember the B6 if they start this time!
Old 03-08-2011, 03:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have those drinking dreams when it's been 3 or 4 days since my last session, around that time. Mine are usually the panicky sort - someone (usually my mum lol) is searching through my room and I'm terrified she'll find my hidden bottles. Since I joined this site, interestingly, I've had a couple of dreams where I've bought the booze and then realised I didn't really want to drink it!! Progress!

Originally Posted by Nevertheless View Post
I had them also. Vitamin B-6 stops my nightmares. I had a relative die a couple months ago,and was having wierd nightmares. B-6 worked again.
Fred
This is really interesting! I had nightmares every single night, no exaggeration. I've recently started taking a B-complex, and they've stopped. I never put two and two together!!
Old 03-08-2011, 03:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

dreams are your disease telling you it wants to come out and play.....as long as you stay clean and sober they do fade

Old 03-08-2011, 03:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

They slow down.....considerably.

I'm coming up on 4 yrs and still get them once and a while but not very often.