Notices

I'm Back, Doing A little Better now.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm Back, Doing A little Better now.

Hey I havn't been on here in a while. My account was suspended for a month or so, as a time to reflect or some thing like that. its nice to be back and be able to post something again. i am doing ok. my daughter is18 months now, getting into every thing, causing mischeif. lol and my 3 month old son is doing great. He's my little man and i love him so much. he's started smiling and laughing. The drinking has been better. I havn't stopped the drinking completely. but you should be proud to know that i have been watching it and limiting myself very well. i only have a couple drinks once a week and that's it. and for me that is doing pretty good. i'm working on trying to cut out the once a week as well. butwha i'm tying to take baby steps with this, to make quitting easier. and ive been putting the kids first and takin good care of them.what do you think.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you! Welcome back.

I cant say I'm totally on board with the "tapering off" thing, but I assume you're being totally up front with us about it, and if it IS working for you, more power to ya.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Pink,

I'm glad you feel like you're doing better. I strongly believe that moderating as you are, will not work in the long-term, if you're an alcoholic. And, quitting is never easy. It's hard work, but it's worth it.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I'm glad you are doing better. Every one benefits in the long run. Be careful, though. Things can turn badly quickly. I know you are acknowledging there is a problem and trying to do something about it. Best of luck to you and yours...
Old 03-06-2011, 06:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Good to see ya back. I (along with many others probably) suspect that the one day a week drinking is a disaster waiting to happen. I read each of your posts and will venture to guess that you are an alcoholic. Good luck.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

yes the once a week drink binge is the one i am working on trying to stop. but i'm proud of myself right now, because i have stopped drinking on a nightly basis. only the one time a week. its a step in the right direction i think.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you're an alcoholic, it doesn't matter that much whether it's once a week or not. (No certainty on whether you are or not.) There was a time that I had it a lot more infrequently and got pretty drunk on those "special days." That was closer to 20 years ago than yesterday though. It just turned into the everyday kind of drinking, and during that time I wished I could make it only weekends, so that I could say "at least" I only got drunk once a week.

But in a way I had the same formula even with my everyday drinking, because it was between getting home and going to bed every night, and I went to work with few instances of sick time or screwing up with sleeping in because of the drunken behaviour. I worked a lot. Other people might drink in a more non-stop way or run out of steam as a worker in a job and not have a job - or live between benches or who knows where. And their drinking would seem more non-stop than mine was by comparison. The difference between me and them is just style and rhythm; it was the same problem as far as the drinking problem goes. Just like it was the same problem when I would have a hoot once in a while and started a relationship with alcohol.

You might not be an alcoholic, although we largely assumed as much based on the stories about not being able to stay away from it. If you are one, chances are that the step in the right direction, as you see it, is just a phase among many. And if that is true, it might turn into major drinking once a week and so on; and then morph into daily drinking; who knows.

When you close your post with "What do you think" though, is that an actual question? It seems like you would be used to the answers by now. If you want to be "endorsed," I can't do that. I can't condemn you or tell you what to do either. I can only tell you that it probably doesn't amount to much in the long run if you have an addiction problem.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

If you only want to drink one night a week why try moderation management or get a book on lowering your alcohol intake then. The responses you are probably going to mostly get is that you need to 100% stop. This is a RECOVERY message board. I don't think you will ever get the responses that you want.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
If you only want to drink one night a week why try moderation management or get a book on lowering your alcohol intake then. The responses you are probably going to mostly get is that you need to 100% stop. This is a RECOVERY message board. I don't think you will ever get the responses that you want.
Yeah, true. Moderation Management has a message board -- it's probably a better place to check out if moderation if something you're interested in. Even they recommend 30 full days of abstinence, though. And they're program is geared more toward these "problem drinkers" who just find themselves drinking too much. Pink, I don't think that's you. You have trouble not drinking when you're pregnant and are now bingeing once a week. I think you're right that this is better than what you were doing before, but I don't think moderation is going to be an appropriate goal for you.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Prayrs continue for you and your young family...

Please continue with your counselor
find a way to become a non drinker.
At 21 you have many years ahead to enjoy sober.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

thank you every one
Old 03-07-2011, 10:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

That's progress Pink and I am happy to hear that.

You'll know soon enough, if drinking once a week is harmful or not (or even possible).

Keep posting away...

Kjell
Old 03-07-2011, 11:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

A lot of us have been there and we know it doesn't work. Let's hope for the sake of your lovely children that you figure it out soon so you can really start working on your recovery. Funny I was just thinking about how I was almost 5 years ago with my first child. Looking back at how deep in addiction I already was... it made me cry to think that it took 4 YEARS for me to finally quit. Sad, sad sad those wasted years.

Hoping it's a quicker journey for you and your family.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome back
Old 03-09-2011, 05:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome back. Glad you are doing better. You were in a dark place a while back. I pray you don't have to go back there...... or worse.

I couldn't help but notice that in your first post when you started this thread, you said your moderation was "a couple drinks one night/week" and in your second post on this thread, you said it was a binge one night/week. I don't think most of us would call a couple drinks a binge. I hope you are being honest with us and it really is only a "couple". Even more so, I hope you are being honest with yourself. But I think even that is too much. It was for me anyways. Total abstinence was the only way. We can't let go of the devil if we are still holding on to it by the tail.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

yes, i noticed the difference between the first statement and then the use of the word binge too.

my definition of my own bingeing (binging)? was that i thought i could have 2 glasses of wine last July 17 when i went out for dinner with friends...i wasn't driving....it was fun, i thought i was in control.....no chance, it was then i knew for sure i could be right back where i started....but i kept drinking intermittently for another month.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Abnormally normal

Hey Pink
Glad to see that you're back and doing better. Although your cutback is a whole lot better than before, I have to agree w/ the others. Total sobriety is the only way.
It's gonna be ok for a while, but thats it. Eventually, "one more" is gonna start sounding pretty good until you find yourself buzzed, not care anymore and continue drinking.
There's no such thing as moderation to alcoholics. Its simply just a speed bump on your alcoholic path.

There's this saying about why alcoholics are alcoholics and its "One drink is too many, and a thousand is never enough." (So dead on!)
The "honeymoon phase" only lasts so long.

I hope you find this out sooner than later.

Good luck to you, and I'm still sending thoughts and prayers your way for you and your family.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

If you are an alcoholic like me, then you are making the same mistake I did. That is how I started again too. I kept telling myself (was first drinking daily at 16, and have had many relapses since then), "only once a week", "only one binge a week", "only two times a week". Then it was "I'm going to have to get this under control again" (like it ever was!!!). Then I realised it was all over - there was no lying to myself anymore. I lost many years to my mistake. I hope you and your family don't have to go through that...
Old 03-10-2011, 07:51 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I know most of our views on moderation..and like I have said before...it's easier for me to have 0 drinks than it is 3.....
Wishing you well......