Notices

10 days - bad day

Old 03-06-2011, 01:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy 10 days - bad day

Hi, I have 10 days today and have just been to another meeting! Today was very tough for me as we had 'family' round tocelebrate a birthday and everyone (except me and the children ) was drinking. It even got to a point where my mother was casually asking us all what our 'favourite drink' is. Now, she knows I have a 'bit of trouble' with drink (!) but really doesn't know the extent of it, and doesn't know I go to AA. It got to me so much that I had to leave the room and go upstairs for a cry. Until that moment, I had never understod the thought 'I need a meeting' more than I did, Thank God I have finally pushed through that brick wall of stupidity, arrogance and resentment and pluckedup the courage to walk into that first meeting 10 days ago.

Should I tell my family? Obviously my husband knows - he drinks but he can, and he is more than happy for me to attend meetings, as he has been at the bitter and repulsive end of my drinking too many times. But, I can't go through these family gatherings anymore without people drinking, talking about drinking saying 'oh go on, just one or two - you're not driving...' or whatever. What do other people do or say?
Old 03-06-2011, 01:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

maybe it makes sense to let a close few know? This way you have a handful of people advocating for you and can step in when they see something headed the wrong way? It's tough to say no all together, but especially when others around you are participating in drinking alcohol. Way to hang in there! At least you did what you had to do to get away and stood your ground!! You should be proud
Old 03-06-2011, 03:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you feel safe, you should consider telling the people in your family you are closest to, and ask them to quietly support you in this.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would tell people close to you that you have a problem with alcohol...good for you in making a meeting! Now you just have to let the people close in your life know.

It's not a shameful thing, you know. It's a brave and courageous thing; you should own it.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ho Cool- congrats on ten days And for handling the family celebration. Way to go!
Old 03-07-2011, 01:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm not ashamed at all - I was terrified walking into that 1st meeting - the usual 'Oh God, what if I see someone I Know!!' I'm pretty much over that now for sure! But my mum would be appalled that i'm one of 'them'! I guess I'll decide who to share with and when...

As an aside - I feel like I have a thumping hangover for some reason today when my dear husband who drank a fair bit leapt out of bed completely pain free and jolly! Where's the fairness in that??
Old 03-07-2011, 01:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Coolmummy - Wanted to congratulate you on your 10 days. That is awesome. No advice on who to tell or when to tell them.
I just remember when I was ten days (I'm only at six weeks now),
my thoughts and emotions were all over the place. I couldn't really
make many little decisions for myself. Heck, it was major when I decided
what to wear on any given day rather then throw on the same set of sweats because I couldn't think, lol!

As far as your husband, nope it isn't fair right now, but if you keep on keeping on I promise, you will start to feel much better physically. You might have some protracted withdrawals going on. I don't want to go through those very early days sober for anything! They were really hard both physically and emotionally, so please give yourself a break!
Old 03-07-2011, 05:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

The whole telling people thing, or not.. is such a personal call.

At its most basic, I simply tell people I don't drink alcohol.. and I feel it's none of their business as to the details of that choice, like any other personal life choice I make.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

10 days is a super start....well done....