Notices

Dealing With Alcohol Consequences

Old 03-06-2011, 07:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Dealing With Alcohol Consequences

I am currently dealing with trying to obtain my drivers license back. I have a DUI in 1997 and another one in 2003. After that incident my license was revoked for one year. I moved to a big city and took public transportation and drank myself nearly to death. 2011, I now need my license back & the state is making it extremely difficult. I completed all my treatment and intensive probation back in 2003-2005 yet the saga continues. Before anyone says I'm lucky I didn't kill anyone the fact is I didn't. I guess my point is the consequences of alcohol/drugs are long lasting and sobriety doesn't always change that fact.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you have done all that was required in order to get you license back, then I can't see how you couldn't get your license back. Did you pay all your fines, did you attend MAD panel, etc? There has to be something that you didn't do. Call MVD and ask.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Yep, call and ask. It's true that the consequences are long lasting. I did all I was supposed to do and did get my license back, but I'm still paying high-dollar insurance premiums and will for another year. I got my DUI in 2006.

I don't know if it's true in your state, but here in Texas, the state surcharges you $1,000 a year for 3 years if you get a DUI. Not paying that will cause your license to stay suspended. Just another added bonus for drinking and driving.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

OMG!

After being sober for a month the AA fairy didn't grant all of your wishes. They lied to us.

The bastards!
Old 03-06-2011, 10:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

Here i had a code put on my license, that stayed for 11 yrs, or maybe 12 i cant remember. Any insurance company i presented it to would instantly know which cat' i belonged to. I def' paid for that one, financially at least.

But yeah just make some calls, and get some kind of answer you're looking for. gl
Old 03-06-2011, 10:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Just...
you are in a city with public transportation
best stay there forever.

I wish I were because I can no longer see to drive
the Consequences of a incurable retina disease.

Grateful I'm not completely blind yet... ..driveing or not.

Last edited by CarolD; 03-06-2011 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-06-2011, 10:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Some want to mark people with a scarlett letter for things like DUIs and other crimes. Some states have contemplated putting a DUI offender identifier on your license plate.

What ever the law was when you had your last DUI should be the only set of laws and policies that should effect you. It might be worth a consult with a lawyer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...wn-centre.html

This picture and subject was up on MSN yesterday, don't necessarily agree but it's obvisiously being used.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

lol at the scarlet letter comment. I too have had 2 dui's. I too never hurt anyone else or myself in those actions. Do I regret them? yes of course. I sat next to someone in jail who was high on hard drugs and ran over a girl walking home from her subway job. He paid the ultimate price and I would never want to know what that feels like. Yeah I mean the state will make it very hard for you to get a license, and very costly. I would estimate I have spent over $20,000. If I stay sober I'll get all that and then some back over the course of my life. Something to consider. As far as people judging me.. I don't really give a damn. I told someone recently strength has to come from within. I told them if a meteorite struck the planet and everyone I know died, I would still continue on. Thats one of the few things good to come out of all this for me. Perseverance the likes of which few people can even fathom.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thequest View Post
Some want to mark people with a scarlett letter for things like DUIs and other crimes.
Yes, it's pretty awful. States even make sex offenders addresses available to the public. Talk about your scarlet letter!
Old 03-06-2011, 12:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Like many alcoholics I had to learn that actions have consequences when I got sober. It's called growing up and taking responsibility for my actions, past and present. Personally I feel that there should be zero tolerance for drunk drivers: one DUI and you're bipedal until you can prove you have many years of sobriety.

In 2010 a medical panel released a report that said of all drugs, alcohol is the worst. That's because of what we do to other people, family, loved ones and, sometimes, strangers.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My brother lost his license for life for DUI's at age 23. That's a punishment that has kept him in poverty. At least he can drive a moped. Now, laws are being made that punishes people walking with alcohol in their system. PI arrests are as expensive and as punishing as DUI's. I think its a cash cow for the local legal businesses. After all its mostly lawyers who get elected as lawmakers and they naturally advance their business interests. THe alcoholic person has always been branded a criminal even though the AMA long ago stated alcoholism is a desiese.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Drunk driving kills innocents. We have to condemn the action and stop it. I've had 2 duis and I think anyone with 1 should be forced into a mandatory sobriety program and a lifelong license revocation if another one is received. Maybe its easy for me to say that since I'm not subject to that punishment, but I feel like we do have to protect people. I think that if its just one yes its possible it was circumstances, but two to me is always representative of a deeper problem.

Thats my stance on looking at it from an objective viewpoint in terms of a law that we put on people. I know there are people who for whatever reason want to judge and demonize people who committed such crimes. They may even have a good reason; maybe a family member was killed or seriously injured by a drunk driver. For me, I will take my duis in which I never hurt anyone over you cheated on your wife you swore to love til you die, and I will take my duis where I never hurt anyone over you neglected your children and passed problems on to them, I will take my dui's over you never loved the mother of your children, etc etc the list goes on and on, because none of us are perfect and all have fallen short of the glory of God. Just because I can't go into a computer and create a printout of your sins next to your mugshot does not mean they are not just as vicious and vile as mine. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post

In 2010 a medical panel released a report that said of all drugs, alcohol is the worst. That's because of what we do to other people, family, loved ones and, sometimes, strangers.
I volunteered in the ER of a big city hospital for seven years; we used to say that about 80 percent of the people coming in were either drunk or high. I'm not sure how accurate that is but it was sure a lot.

Somebody was watching over me...I've cracked up two vehicles because I was blind drunk (thank God nobody was hurt) but both times was able to drive away...was apprehended once because my license plate was reported, but they couldn't give me a DUI because I wasn't apprehended and drunk-tested at the scene. I even owned up to it later, went to court but just got reckless driving/leaving the scene.

I know people who have had their licenses revoked for drunk driving, one of them is an occasional employee of mine. It's very expensive....I know what is holding him back is having to pay several grand and I don't know how or when he'll ever be able to do that. It's a double-edged sword...this is an economically depressed area with virtually no public tranposration; it's hard enough to get a job...damn near impossible with a felony record (felony drunk driving; he led police on a chase and crashed while drunk) and no license or vehicle.

Alcoholism might be a disease, but that doesn't negate someone's responsibility: it's a CHOICE to drink and drive.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
I am currently dealing with trying to obtain my drivers license back. I have a DUI in 1997 and another one in 2003. After that incident my license was revoked for one year. I moved to a big city and took public transportation and drank myself nearly to death. 2011, I now need my license back & the state is making it extremely difficult. I completed all my treatment and intensive probation back in 2003-2005 yet the saga continues. Before anyone says I'm lucky I didn't kill anyone the fact is I didn't. I guess my point is the consequences of alcohol/drugs are long lasting and sobriety doesn't always change that fact.
sooooo, what's your point? did you pay all the fines and complete the state mandated treatment? if you met all of the requirements you should get your license back , no?

can you afford your car insurance? do you have a car? how long have you been sober?
Old 03-06-2011, 05:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

[QUOTE=sailorjohn;2888177]OMG!

After being sober for a month the AA fairy didn't grant all of your wishes. They lied to us. Keep Coming Back

I'm just stating that people (the state of Illinois) in this case do not forgive or forget. I deserve my license back and can't wait to get "back on the road." It was only revoked for 1 year and I haven't driven in 7 years so I have paid the price. Once you are branded an alcoholic society doesn't ever forgive you. That's my whole point.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I still don't understand why you can't get your licence back?
Old 03-06-2011, 05:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I still don't understand why you can't get your licence back?
I can but I need $300 for an "updated DUI" evaluation, 3 letters from AA/support group and request a hearing with a secretary of state judge. The I have to buy 3 years of "special" DUI insurance. I guess I'm just venting folks. I get frustrated dealing with the past and how badly I screwed things up. Thanks for listening.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

There is no doubt about it, it's a huge HUGE money pit. Not that I am in any way saying that I didn't deserve every consequence I got, but the states have figured out how to get a whole lot of revenue on the backs of those who drink and drive.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
I can but I need $300 for an "updated DUI" evaluation, 3 letters from AA/support group and request a hearing with a secretary of state judge. The I have to buy 3 years of "special" DUI insurance. I guess I'm just venting folks. I get frustrated dealing with the past and how badly I screwed things up. Thanks for listening.
I had a DUI and I understand what you are going through. What I don't understand is why you choose to prolong the consequences by not getting your license back immediately as soon as your were eligible. I understand you weren't driving but that was just nuts.

I have a friend in nearly identical circumstances. His alcohol classes, AA attendence, MADD meeting attendence and all that was presented to the court 6 years ago. He recently tried to get his license back and they lost all record of it. He is trying to avoid going through all the crap again just to get his license back.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

At best, the consequences of a DUI are inconvenient, expensive, and annoying. At worst, they are life altering, permanent and devastating.

Fact is, you are lucky your consequences fall into that first category. No one got hurt as a result of either of your offenses. Awesome. Be thankful. Because someone easily could have, and as sucky as it is to slog through a bunch of bureaucratic red tape and pay a higher premium, it is nothing in comparison to doing time and living with flashbacks, horror, guilt, and a felony record. Trust me.

Apologies if this comes off harsh. While in jail, I came across folks who were in on DUI 5 or 6 or 7 and treated the whole experience as one huge bummer of an inconvenience or a persecution. It seemed they missed the point.