Notices

Life is Hard

Old 03-01-2011, 10:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Life is Hard

(Don't know what possessed me to write this, but if it helps someone......why not, right? I mentioned this concept once before on SR, but found myself thinking about it again this morning.......)

There's a great book I read quite some time ago (The Road Less Traveled) and the opening sentence is "Life is Hard." It goes on to say that once we accept this, the burden seems much lighter. We're not alone - life is hard for everyone.

For alcoholics, the choice seems to be: what kind of "life is hard" do we want? Whether we're sober or drinking, life will be a challenge. There is no such thing as an easy way out. We bought into the idea that we could do it the easy way and have paid ten-fold. Don't believe the voice that tells you momentary relief is worth the agony of consequences.

Sobriety may be hard, but at least it's real. It's true to life. It means growing instead of retreating. You get to trade something that is mind-numbing with bits of joy, and satisfaction with a job well done. With alcohol, "life is hard" means suffering. With sobriety it means striving. It's about overcoming and gaining freedom instead of living with lies and pain. It's a matter of quality.

Once you admit your problem, you've already taken the first (sometimes the hardest) step. Facing our fear of change is a huge accomplishment in itself.

Hindsight is always 20/20 of course, and just like others I couldn't see the forest for the trees...... But I can assure anyone who's out there, you won't regret giving sobriety a chance. Life will never be easy, but in the end I want to affirm that it was a "job well done."

YOU CAN DO IT.....................................
Old 03-02-2011, 09:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
(Don't know what possessed me to write this, but if it helps someone......why not, right? I mentioned this concept once before on SR, but found myself thinking about it again this morning.......)

There's a great book I read quite some time ago (The Road Less Traveled) and the opening sentence is "Life is Hard." It goes on to say that once we accept this, the burden seems much lighter. We're not alone - life is hard for everyone.

For alcoholics, the choice seems to be: what kind of "life is hard" do we want? Whether we're sober or drinking, life will be a challenge. There is no such thing as an easy way out. We bought into the idea that we could do it the easy way and have paid ten-fold. Don't believe the voice that tells you momentary relief is worth the agony of consequences.

Sobriety may be hard, but at least it's real. It's true to life. It means growing instead of retreating. You get to trade something that is mind-numbing with bits of joy, and satisfaction with a job well done. With alcohol, "life is hard" means suffering. With sobriety it means striving. It's about overcoming and gaining freedom instead of living with lies and pain. It's a matter of quality.

Once you admit your problem, you've already taken the first (sometimes the hardest) step. Facing our fear of change is a huge accomplishment in itself.

Hindsight is always 20/20 of course, and just like others I couldn't see the forest for the trees...... But I can assure anyone who's out there, you won't regret giving sobriety a chance. Life will never be easy, but in the end I want to affirm that it was a "job well done."

Awesome, awesome post. Thanks so much.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I actually find my life to be much easier in sobriety....i used to make many of my own problems due to drinking and over drinking.

I have never regretted stopping..I don't miss the hangovers, depression or sense of sadness.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I kinda remember the author is M. Scott Peck?

If so....he wrote several books and his life was interesting.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not waving, but drowning

Great post, thanks.

Yes, I think M. Scott Peck. Many years ago it was very popular.

I recall finding it in the travel section of a local bookstore! Clearly they hadn't read it carefully enough
Old 03-02-2011, 10:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
I kinda remember the author is M. Scott Peck?

If so....he wrote several books and his life was interesting.
Yeah, interesting would be a reasonable adjective.

Gin, cigarettes, women: I'm a prophet, not a saint - Times Online
Old 03-02-2011, 10:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
I actually find my life to be much easier in sobriety....i used to make many of my own problems due to drinking and over drinking.

I have never regretted stopping..I don't miss the hangovers, depression or sense of sadness.
So true.

great post !
Old 03-02-2011, 10:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Life is a breeze now compared to before:-)
Old 03-02-2011, 01:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Looking back on it, my life was MUCH more difficult when I was drinking.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thx for sharing Art!!! I definitely get it
Old 03-02-2011, 02:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post

Wonderful!
Old 03-02-2011, 02:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

Artsoul, I also read the book (The Road Less Travelled, Scott Peck) quite some years ago too. It changed my whole life and my way of thinking. There is also another great book I read sometime ago too. (Why Me, Why This, Why Now? by Robin Norwood)
It helps ask some of lifes toughest questions.
JJ
Old 03-02-2011, 04:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Lovin' Life now!! thank-you for the feel good post!!!