SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   You should seriously think about what will happen if you keep drinking (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/221204-you-should-seriously-think-about-what-will-happen-if-you-keep-drinking.html)

gravity 02-28-2011 09:17 PM

You should seriously think about what will happen if you keep drinking

My good friend Dave is 54 years old though he could pass for 40. He recently had a heart attack. Prior to this he looked to be in great physical shape, was a community leader...an all around great guy. Loved to golf. A lifelong heavy drinker. His arteries had deteriorated to the point where he is inoperable. He is basically confined to home, weak, 5 years to live maximum.

My other friend Len is 48 years old. A good looking dude, washboard abs. He has dimentia as the result of daily alcohol abuse. Used to be a part owner in a car dealership, loved to fish.

My sponsor is in his mid fifties and despite being clean and sober for eight years, cannot get life insurance because his body is so damaged.

Think about what this means to their families - kids, grandkids.

Not scare tactics. Just facts. Alcoholism is deadly serious. We are not invincible. Our body may feel okay but can only take so much poison.

Sobriety is ALWAYS the best option for an alcoholic. Never mind p***ing around for the next 10-20 years trying to control drinking.

I want to live, to enjoy life, to play with my grandkids. I'm going to do what it takes to never have another drink ever again.

grateful101010 02-28-2011 09:21 PM

Awesome! Well put. Thanks.

artsoul 02-28-2011 10:45 PM

Thanks for that post gravity.......it's sad to read about what alcohol can do to our bodies. I'm sure your friends were just like the rest of us, thinking "it could never happen to me." Quite an eye-opener.....

Murray4x5 02-28-2011 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by gravity (Post 2881869)
I'm going to do what it takes to never have another drink ever again.

Yup. Every single relapse horror story always starts with just one drink.

Thanks for your post.

Murray

CarolD 03-01-2011 01:04 AM

Thanks Gav for the grim true facts.

Since I quit drinking...28 of my former "excessive drinker" friends
have died from various alcohol related causes.
Some died still drinking..for others...sobriety came too late....they too died.

Alcohol is a toxin...destroyes and kills.

Prayers going out for your friends and for all who love them
:hug:

Veritas1 03-01-2011 01:12 AM

I heard at a meeting about two people.

One a young man of 33, and his liver gave out and he died.

The other a woman "just wine" drinker...43...wet brain, lost all functions in body, can't talk, nothing.

Scary stuff for sure.

shantra32 03-01-2011 12:02 PM

Thank you for that; funny how things come your way when you need them most.

tjhook 03-01-2011 12:20 PM

Thanks for the post. I am a 35 year old male, and I have no doubt that I have done some damage to my liver....with all the booze and pills I have taken (tons)....I realize I could (and maybe should) be a goner.

My benders have been really scary...the amount of alcohol and pills I can consume when not thinking right is outrageous. I need to get my liver checked.

Benders always get worse and start with 1 damn drink.

Sudz No More 03-01-2011 01:18 PM

What a powerful well written post. Thank You. It's posts like this that remind of all the reasons why I need to stay on the sober path.

dairo 03-01-2011 01:27 PM

That's all well and good, but it doesn't really matter much imo. I've read and heard many many many horror stories, didn't even phase me. Until a person is ready to quit in his/her soul, they will materialize nothing. Consequences seem to be the only real answer i've been noticing.

UniqueNewYork 03-02-2011 06:52 PM

Thanks Gravity I always enjoy your posts. Its so stupid to drink. When you drink you pretty much say you don't care about today, tomorrow or anytime in the future.

AWOL 03-02-2011 07:15 PM

Thanks for that sobering post Gravity. I'm with you and Carol here. Too many great friends gone. Our friends and family deserve to know we are no longer on that path.

auxilio 03-02-2011 07:22 PM

Thank you. This discussion kept me from having a drink today. I am that woman who only drinks wine with dinners (yeah right)....seven glasses or until I pass out.

Zebra1275 03-02-2011 07:31 PM

Good post.

I've said many times that an alcoholic can fool alot of people, including themselves, sometimes for many years. But you can't fool your body, and it does keep score. Eventually, the physical abuse catches up you.