SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Accomplisment! on the way to recovery! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/221137-accomplisment-way-recovery.html)

MaureenBeer 02-27-2011 09:44 PM

Accomplisment! on the way to recovery!

Hey,

Well today i made, to me what is, one good accomplisment, i did not have one drink until midnight! which is a first ever for me, looks like im on the way to complete elimination of the drink!

gr8ful42day 02-27-2011 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by MaureenBeer (Post 2880716)
Hey,

Well today i made, to me what is, one good accomplisment, i did not have one drink until midnight! which is a first ever for me, looks like im on the way to complete elimination of the drink!

But, how long will you drink? Through the night now? I don't know your situation, but IMO, the only way to complete elimination is not to ever pick up that FIRST drink. Everyday is a new day, maybe tomorrow. So happy for you that you are trying.

Dee74 02-27-2011 10:11 PM

Do you mean you didn't drink at all yesterday Maureen?
That's a good thing - i hope you can build on that by not drinking today as well :)

D

MaureenBeer 02-27-2011 10:31 PM

Well I usually start around 7pm and continue till 3am (bedtime) but this evening i didnt start till midnight and am only having 3 beers, which at this exact time last month was doing 12-15 beers a night, im finding that slowing down is actually working for me!

gr8ful42day 02-27-2011 10:33 PM

Whatever works for ya! Keep up the good work!

We have a great chat group, lotsa peeps in there now if you wanna just hang and get support from others. There are all types in there, those wanting to quit, those trying to quit and many that have been successful. ^5 for cutting back and taking the 1st steps!

ChikkaB 02-27-2011 10:46 PM

Congratulations!

Staying sober TODAY is the only thing you need to focus on.

Dee74 02-27-2011 10:53 PM

Well that never worked for me, but I wish you well Maureen - hopefully you'll be ready then for a complete day one in a few days?

D

MaureenBeer 02-27-2011 11:07 PM

im sure thinking so! i was actually able to fall asleep and get a good nights rest whilst sober last night, i had a few beers but was completely sober! everyone on this forum is a great help to me as well thank you all!

jkf94 02-27-2011 11:13 PM

Thank yourself, our words only influence you, you make decisions all on your own. :)

LexieCat 02-28-2011 05:23 AM

If you had a few beers, you were NOT "completely sober". I'm not splitting hairs, here. Three beers will put you over the limit for dwi.

I considered doing the sort of thing you're doing as "progress" too--for four and a half years. My drinking actually got worse during that period of time (in spite of having a few 2-3 drink nights).

I'm not trying to discourage you, but the only way to quit is to quit.

thisisme 02-28-2011 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by MaureenBeer (Post 2880716)
Hey,

Why did you have one?

Veritas1 02-28-2011 09:48 AM

I posted this before when you asked for help.

Stop buying beer Maureen!

It's hard to stop drinking while drinking! :)

SSIL75 02-28-2011 09:51 AM

Oh man. I have been there. "Wohoo! I drank like a normal person! I didn't start drinking until 8 and I finished at 11!".

But.. normal people don't think like that. And alcoholics can't keep it up. Which one are you?

Kjell 02-28-2011 09:58 AM

Progress, not perfection.

GREAT job Maureen. Now, let's work on today. Do you think you can go today without having a drink? Just one day without any thought about tomorrow?

Kjell

MaureenBeer 02-28-2011 11:13 PM

Hello. Well I suppose you are all right, moderation does not work for me, i thought i was gonna be slowing down alot and stuff but only reason i drank lightly last night was because i was sick, today i am well and drank way too much, thats it, tomarrow must be day 1, it has to be, im tired of all this, it needs to end. thank you all for your support

Veritas1 03-01-2011 12:52 AM

Yes, I would make deals, promises to myself, and try to limit, and "wind up" drinking too much as well.

Maureen I am either drinking or not drinking. There is no in between for me.

My experience with trying to control my drinking, or even to stay sober wasn't working, so I had to finally concede to my innermost self that I was an alcoholic, and could never safely drink again.

I also admitted that I could not stop drinking on my own. I needed help.

Maureen when I go to AA, call my sponsor and other women, read my Big Book, take direction and do what is asked of me, "work on my program and steps", get out and attend and be one of many among the members of the fellowship...I stay sober.

When I didn't do these things...I drank. Every time. This experience was super helpful for me. AA worked. So I had two choices...either keep drinking, or go to AA, and get into recovery.

AA and SR is working for me.

I hope you are willing to give AA a try. Having sober women to support you, guide you, befriend you. You don't have to live this way.

There is a way out....but you have to make it happen. It's not going to come to you. You know what I mean?

Best wishes and like someone recently said to me this past Christmas which is my new sobriety date.

"Keep this sobriety date". They said that they weren't changing their sobriety date for anything. No matter what happens don't drink, and get to a meeting if you think you are going to drink, or call a sober woman of AA...I was told.

Happy March :)

Dee74 03-01-2011 12:56 AM

Here's to that upcoming day 1, Maureen :c014:

D

RainyDayWoman1 03-01-2011 02:32 AM

Yep, same here....I`d buy a bottle sometimes and say to myself "this is for 3 days (or whatever) Must ration it out!"" Always ended up drinking ALL of it that day!

Nevertheless 03-01-2011 04:58 AM

Used to be when I was asked "how many of those are you going to drink?" My answer was always,"all of them".
I could go for a few days, drinking 2 or 3. But it always came back to the bottom line.
The bottom line is,I drank to get drunk. 2 or 3 is a tease and just left me wanting more.
Of course while I was still drinking I told myself anything to feed my addiction. Anything but stopping all together. I'm so glad I finally got the monkey off of my back,and hope you and anyone else that wants to,can quit.
It truly is freedom.
Fred

ReadyAndAble 03-01-2011 06:33 AM

Good luck today—you can do it. It's hard, but it is so worth it. The life you want is waiting for you!