Notices

Accomplisment! on the way to recovery!

Old 03-01-2011, 07:26 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome to the club.... I used to think I could be smarter and stronger than my addiction, but that always disappeared with the first drink.

Welcome to day 1 - you can do this!
Old 03-01-2011, 08:41 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Looking forward to your new beginning Maureen

Like others.....yup been there but we can change and never have to go through that again!
Old 03-01-2011, 09:37 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Maureen . If you think you can start drinking late and stop by usual times . Give it a try for few days . I have been doing the same thing for last 2 months Nd it is working for me . I start at 9.45 and have 2 glasses of wine with dinner and finish by 10.30 . It may not work for you but it did for me . , May be i may go back to half whisky again every night but till then 2 glass of wine is better Do whatever works for you . if not drinking at all is only way for you then you must follow what other friends have said . Do not pick up the 1st drink , That is it
Old 03-01-2011, 09:59 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Bingen, the problem is she tried and that didn't work.

When we try to control our drinking and our experience shows that we cannot, then we have to change...if we want sobriety.

I hope Maureen checks back in with us today.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:11 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

As Veritas said, Maureen already tried that.
I thought you were trying for complete sobriety Bingen - what happened?

May be i may go back to half whisky again every night but till then 2 glass of wine is better
I disagree - if you're like me, any alcohol, no matter what the type, just feeds the monster.

D

D
Old 03-01-2011, 02:36 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

man...i tried that. i had "rules" so that I could drink. None of them worked. I just progressively got worse. I hope you are more fortunate than I was.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:32 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Bingen, I think the advice you're getting is better than the advice you're giving, but I'm glad you're still coming to SR, drinking or not.

Maureen, I hope you'll come back and let us know how your day went. You'll get nothing but encouragement and understanding either way....
Old 03-01-2011, 10:29 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hello.

my day went alright considering, i did not drink as many beers this evening, but am still drinking them nonetheless. im thinking about seeing a psychiatrist, my real reason of which my drinking stems from is due to a few bad realtionships, people i love but cannot have because they rejected me, i know everyone goes through this, but some of these were very particualrly nasty and with me having my pre-existing depression =not good. maybe that will help
Old 03-01-2011, 10:37 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Maureen

I had a lot of underlying reason why I drank too - but I also developed a great case of alcoholism too.

I think it's really important to look at both things. A counsellor with some knowledge of addiction may be a good idea?

My advice is to get into doing something right away tho - I wasted a lot of time 'going to do something'...

D
Old 03-01-2011, 11:45 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I understand Maureen and agree with Dee 100%. I had specific underlying reasons as to why I initially turned to drinking which would have been better served obviously with some form of counseling. Over time though I became an alcoholic and that was another piece that I had to address.

Agree that seeking counseling would be beneficial but definitely make sure you have one who understands addiction. My counselor initially worked with me on alcoholism and getting that addressed then we focused on recovery and long term success which involved dealing with my past issues and moving forward in a positive way.

For me, I had many good days or weeks where I was able to cut down and was quite proud but without fail I ended up right at the belly of the beast.

You can do this and address the issues in your life without feeding the addiction.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:25 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Maureen - I am glad you are still here and still posting. Please keep coming back no matter what. I think getting some individual counseling is an excellent idea. As Kimber pointed out it would be really important to get a therapist with experience in alcoholism/addictions. I think it's important to be honest about your drinking so they can best help you.

I get the part about depression also. I have been treated for depression in the past. No matter what people told me about alcohol being a chemical downer I could not give it up while undergoing counseling and only made my depression worse and worse.

At 5 1/2 weeks sober I have emotions flying all over the place and some of them are painful and uncomfortable. The interesting thing though is being super depressed isn't one of them. Giving up the alcohol for this time has helped this significantly. Unfortunately, I would never believe it until I experienced it. I hope you give yourself that chance too.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:15 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MaureenBeer View Post
Well I usually start around 7pm and continue till 3am (bedtime) but this evening i didnt start till midnight and am only having 3 beers, which at this exact time last month was doing 12-15 beers a night, im finding that slowing down is actually working for me!
I hope this technique works for you. But, my experience, and probably most others who are now living sober is that when I tried to moderate or control my drinking it only worked in the short term. And I tried really hard for a really long time. So, if that doesn't end of working for you hopefully you can use our collective experience and try something else.

Don't stop trying because you will never quit if you don't keep trying.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:47 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

thank you all for the support/advice. btw, does anyone know of any other alcohol addiction recover forum out there, this one is great but i would also like to see if theres any others out there =]

Old 03-19-2011, 12:57 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MaureenBeer View Post
Hello. Well I suppose you are all right, moderation does not work for me, i thought i was gonna be slowing down alot and stuff but only reason i drank lightly last night was because i was sick, today i am well and drank way too much, thats it, tomarrow must be day 1, it has to be, im tired of all this, it needs to end. thank you all for your support
Do you remember this Maureen?

You said moderation does not work for you.

Throw out the rest of that 30 pack.

You can do it.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:40 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Re:Accomplisment! on the way to recovery!

Making it through another day without drinking is your next step.

~god bless~
Old 03-19-2011, 04:15 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Thank you for checking in, Maureen.

I think a counselor experienced with treating addictions is an excellent idea.

Many of us drank in a misguided effort to deal with emotional or mental issues...ultimately it's a very poor solution, as you realise.

You need to quit drinking. Have you tried AA or any other face to face support or meetings?