Notices

What have you sold to afford/buy alcohol?

Old 02-28-2011, 06:01 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I gotta go with Supercrew on this one. My very soul! Awful feeling and I'm so grateful to have it back.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:10 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'de stolen money to get beer, I sold my dignity.

I was never raised to be a thief, and I'm not blaming the booze either on this one. It wasn't a habitual thing, but there's still no excuse. I could have landed myself in jail and social embarrassment over the prospect of a six pack.

I was a real arse back then.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:35 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

tooling,

Great question!

After I returned from treatment in 1986, I thought my "basic problems" were solved. Thinking that drugs & alcohol were my only serious problem, I continued on with the things I "wanted" to do. Never going back to alcohol, I still had other problems....

After 1986, I started travelling a lot. (Addicted to travel) I have other addictions too, but I didn't know it then. I love: MOTORCYCLES, MONEY, MEN, & MUSIC. And, not necessarily in that order either. It's been a long, TOUGH learning experience! Whew!

One time, because I returned from Florida, and my basic bills were due, and I still wanted to go some other place (for whatever band was playing) I pawned my Harley-Davidson *PRIMO* Chopper. I still remember the guy from the pawn shop coming outside to look at it and saying "My God, yes! Whatever you want, I'll give you it!" I think I asked for $4,000 cash. STUPID. And, another time, one of my friends started his own band and he gave me one of his c.d.'s. In a real broke time (No excuses for that!) I took my c.d. collection into the same pawn shop, and pawned not only my friend's first c.d., but another friend's gift to me: A rare collection of c.d.'s by an artistic legend. Of course, I told myself I would return on payday and get them out. Some time passed, and when I did go back.......you guessed it............ the c.d.'s were gone. I felt just sick to my stomach! I wanted to cry.

Thank God, I was able to get my Chopper out of hock, but still makes me sick that I would stoop to such levels to get WHAT I WANT!

Thank for bringing-up this subject! THANKS SO MUCH! I'm working on another 4th Step at this time, so this is EXACTLY what I needed to remember! -tabfan
Old 02-28-2011, 11:41 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I sold everything I had. I use to sell jewelry, clothes and even my food stamps to buy alcohol and/or drugs. Then I would steal or panhandle outside stores,banks,subways or even in AA meetings.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:58 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

Was fortunate (or unfortunate depending...) that the circles i was in shared, so i guess just sold my health away day after day after months and years, tho i see it now as a trade for the wisdom i have in sobriety. And i'll settle for that :-)
Old 02-28-2011, 12:21 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by jkf94 View Post
I sold John Mayer concert tickets once, hahah.
Sounds like a good move sober too!!
Old 02-28-2011, 12:51 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I could have bought a car, maybe two. Geez, maybe make a down payment on a house (at least a trailer).

I spent my money and my time. I can't get it back, but I do have time now to do things differently.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:01 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I sold my $1000 engagement ring for $100 and went out and got drunk....but I don't think that's what you mean ..... I just wanted it gone ....... ....... good riddance....lol.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:27 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I used to steal DVDs from HMV, remove the plastic shrink wrap and sell them straight away at the pawn shop up the road. Never got caught, and I don't know if it really counts as selling something but yeah shoplifting wasn't exactly a high point.