Notices

I've hit a slump....

Old 02-26-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs down I've hit a slump....

I've only been sober for 8 days. The first week has been great, I was motivated to quit, I knew what I needed to do, I was pumped to quit.

Now.....not so much. I imagine I've hit a "dip" in this rollercoaster ride of sobriety. I'm depressed, the thought of living without my "best friend" makes me cry, I don't excercise like I was......what is wrong with me? How do I feel good about quitting again? (Besides looking at my 3 kids) How do I get over this slump? I hope this makes sense, has anyone else had this happen before?
Old 02-26-2011, 01:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

It's quite common. When we first start out, we have a lot of momentum and excitement about starting something new that is good for us. After a while, we tend to lose that momentum unless we have a good support system to keep us motivated.

Are you in any kind of recovery program? AA, Smart, Celebration Recovery, etc.? They can be a huge help to keep us motivated and help us realize that alcohol is not our "best friend" it is our worst enemy and wants nothing but to control our lives and eventually kill us.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I go to counseling regularly, once every week or two. I don't go to AA, though it make work for some, it wasn't my "thing". I tried it last year when I tried to quit. I do have a strong network, friends and family I've been accounting to. I call someone when I am having an urge.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

When you made that call about your slump..what did they say?
Old 02-26-2011, 02:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Ok....try remembering why you wanted to stop drinking
Make a list of the Pro's and Con's.

Take your kid's somewhere fun...I've yet to meet an adult
who said they were pleased their parent drinks.

early sobriety is a difficult time ...all sorts of emotional twists
happen when we first stop numbing ourselves with a toxin
Yes...alcohol is chemically a poison it affects our brain.

...Crying is a good stress reliever as is prayer.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
When you made that call about your slump..what did they say?
The usual, keep your chin up, you're doing great, think of those kids.........
Old 02-26-2011, 02:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Re: I've hit a slump....

You've made the right choice, RedheadJen, by talking about your situation rather than drinking over it and that's what matters most.

I was in a funk early on in sobriety regarding many issues that baffled me, and what allowed me to feel more at ease was talking about those issues instead of drinking over them. My usual approach -before sobering up- was to handle those matters by self medicating, rather than talking a more positive and constructive approach -talking about them. This is when I ran into trouble, time and time again, and into the waiting arms of my addiction as well -alcoholism.

Letting us know where you stand by explaining to us what you’re going through can help us make informed decisions before offering up any suggestions. You have -for today- and that is a good start. Making important decisions like not drinking and going to meetings and letting go and letting God can be you saving grace, today and every day, one day at a time.

~God Bless~

Old 02-26-2011, 02:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrDavid View Post
You've made the right choice, RedheadJen, by talking about your situation rather than drinking over it and that's what matters most.

I was in a funk early on in sobriety regarding many issues that baffled me, and what allowed me to feel more at ease was talking about those issues instead of drinking over them. My usual approach -before sobering up- was to handle those matters by self medicating, rather than talking a more positive and constructive approach -talking about them. This is when I ran into trouble, time and time again, and into the waiting arms of my addiction as well -alcoholism.

Letting us know where you stand by explaining to us what you’re going through can help us make informed decisions before offering up any suggestions. You have -for today- and that is a good start. Making important decisions like not drinking and going to meetings and letting go and letting God can be you saving grace, today and every day, one day at a time.

~God Bless~

Thank you MrDavid, I appreciate it!
Old 02-26-2011, 03:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello

At first being sober is really tough because your body is all out of whack chemically. You have all these toxins in you and body functions aren't adjusted to being sober yet. It hits harder at the time you are at now because all the alcohol is out of your body and you are finally feeling life without.

It gets easier with time as your body catches up to what you have in plan for it which is being sober. let your mind give your body the time needed to recover and don't get mad at your body. It's trying to work things out.

Once you get farther into sobriety you will still have ups and down but they will be just the metal side which can be dealt with easier than a sick body. And by then you will have found other things to do with your time rather than drooling or sleeping from being drunk,
Old 02-26-2011, 03:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

AA wasn't really my thing, either. But I went, sat my butt in a chair, and listened anyway. It must have been several weeks before I even opened my mouth to say more than "no thanks" or "pass" when introductions were going around.

The reason I went and kept going was because what I really needed was to be with people who:

- did not feel sorry for me
- did not look down on me
- did not believe I was lazy or had an intrinsic flaw
- did not believe all I needed was willpower to abstain
- did not push me
- knew personally exactly what I was going through as I went through it
- believed I could make my own life better
- were willing to share their hard-earned wisdom, strength and hope

All the god talk was so much blahblahblah for me. The slogans were silly, the coffee was horrible. But what I needed to hear was things like "S#it, I really wanted a drink today so bad I could scream, but I went for a walk and came here and now I feel better and I think I can stay sober TODAY." Those people helped me just by being alive and being there; understanding from personal experience how lost I felt and how hard I struggled every minute of every day.

If you don't have this kind of non-judgmental group of folks you can just sit and be with when you don't know how to handle things, please get one. I like AA simply because it doesn't matter where you are of if you do or don't know a single soul in the room - these people get it, and to help themselves they are willing to help you if you want them to.

There is no magic pill. Staying sober is hard work. Fellowship makes it bearable.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hey Jen - Good for you on getting 8 days - that really is something to be proud of.

My first month was up, down, and sideways. Sobriety didn't feel normal and I thought about drinking all the time. I just trusted what everyone here said: that it would get better (thank goodness they were right!). The thing is it's often 2 steps forward, one back. I wish I'd kept a journal during that time because I know most of the days were really good. It's just that when we have a bad day or two, it feels like things will never get better.

One thing I did during the first couple weeks was to pick up a really great meal from a restaurant every evening - it gave me something to look forward and it was like rewarding myself for getting through the day.

Find something to take the mind off - a good book, reading on SR, a movie...... and when all else fails, try a gratitude list!:ghug3