Notices

My Rant On Alcohol And Quitting

Old 02-26-2011, 08:19 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
where the light is

The AA Big Book states "Men and women drink essentially because they like the effect produced by alcohol" which is consistent with your perspective.

So you have sworn of drinking because once you start, you can't stop. That's awesome and I hope it works for you. But from your older posts I’m gathering that in the past you believed you had learned your lesson, sworn off, yet ended up drinking again.

So what's different this time? You really, REALLY learned your lesson? Will you get bored or something and decide it's a good idea to go on another of your blackout benders? Or maybe more peer pressure? Sorry...normal people don't do that. THIS is the underlying issue. THIS is powerlessness. You say you learned your lesson and have sworn off for good yet one day you "decide" it's a great idea to drink again with very predictable results.

The Big Book also suggests that if you’re not sure if you are an alcoholic, go a year without drinking. If that’s no problem (it wouldn’t be a problem for a normal person) then it should be smooth sailing for you.

Good luck!

For reference, your first post on SR:

Originally Posted by ItsMe23 View Post
Hey all,
I just signed up here in hopes of finding other people to relate with. I will explain my background a bit. Started drinking casually when i was 16 but i didn't like it much. When i turned 21 i started drinking very heavily, to the point of where it was everyday. Then by 22 i was just getting out of control, drinking to blackout stages every time. Getting in fights with friends etc etc. Now i got ahold of the situation and got off it for 4 months. Then finally cracked under peer pressure on the 4th of july. i began drinking again only on weekends but still drinking to blackout points.

So as it sits right now i got a dwi due to the fact, and its like I"m fine all week but every Saturday i start craving for a drink if you will. I believe i just like the feeling it gives and i am also bored.

so the good news is i have it down to one day a week, the bad is i am having trouble getting rid of it completely? I'm 23 btw thanks for any opinions !
Old 02-26-2011, 08:37 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

When I was 23 I was thoroughly convinced that I had all the answers too. You live and learn.

GG
Old 02-26-2011, 10:16 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Some post have been removed and others that quoted the
removed ones.....also went.

Please chill and remember......
4. No Flaming: Posting of any content with the intention of disrupting the forum or inflaming members-be it on someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program. This includes flaming, flame baiting, registration of multiple accounts or impersonation of another member. Do not Harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress or discomfort upon another Online Forum participant. This includes flaming on our forums or other public forums.

No posts that attack, insult, "flame", defame, or abuse members or non-members. Respect other members of the community and don’t belittle, make fun of, or insult another member or non-member. Decisions about health and recovery are highly personal, individual choices. "Flaming" and insults, however, will not be tolerated. Agree to disagree. This applies to both the forums and chat.

Ignore bothersome members. If there is someone on the forum that bothers you, select the Ignore option on the drop down menu under their name on the post. You won't see any posts from this member again.

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:04 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

I don't think anyone meant anything bad here...but thanks for keepin an eye on things Carol, and fair enough for removin some of the Posts.

Anyway...Good luck ItsMe. Liked a lot of your post, disagreed with some of it. Feel free to vent though.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:44 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jerseytomato View Post
People who swear by a 12 step program probably won't agree about your powerless statements. I agree with you. I don't buy it either. I chose to drink and I can make the decision not to.
I am in AA and my understanding is that we DO agree that we have power if we DO NOT take the 1st drink, of course there are times when psychologically we are tempted and the 12 steps give us the tools we need to make better choices, but 12-step literatre is similar to what you guys are saying, that we are OK provided we don't take the 1st drink.

"1 is too many, 1000 not enough"
Old 02-27-2011, 01:37 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

IDrinking because of underlying issues When i was in chat the other day i got very upset with a member over this topic. They claimed that i drank because of some issue and that i actually did not like drinking. I told them this was false and i drank because i liked to drink and an argument ensued. I drink for one reason and that is because i like to. I started drinking with friends back in the day, we would do it because it is something we enjoyed. Well after a while the brain gets used to it and it becomes a method of pleasure. I am not sure why people have such a hard time understanding that someone drinks only because they like it. But we have to remember to not assume anything about anyone. I think it is more of the people who use it to run from problems cannot understand how someone could just like to use it.
I dont want to glorify it in any way at all, but i drank simply bc i felt it was 'top drawer', period.
But i can understand how some would drink to blank something(s) out, or try to at least.
I do think however that the enjoyment aspect can be a far more damaging influence, but thats just my take on it.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:45 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

bottom line,

alcoholism is progressive,

we'll still be here in another 10 years

good wishes
Old 02-27-2011, 03:35 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

by the age of 18 because of my drinking i had been thrown out of the house by my mum,had 2 unwanted pregnancies,been raped and arrested and locked up for theft twice..i had also been taken to my first AA meeting but i didnt want to stay as i was enjoying myself...i persued this enjoyment for another 18 years......why? because of the mental obsession my head had....that this time it would be different.this mental obsession was so powerful that all the tradgedy and suffering was forgotten...this time it would be different,i would manage better and just have a few.insane? hell yeh.
this illusion was absolutely astonishing.
today i am well aware i have a mental illness and if you dont then great....
btw....i am powerless BEFORE i lift the first drink...NOT after when the physical allergy starts....my illness starts in my mind...and it will lie to me....did for a very long time.
but thats just me....the medical profession regard folk like me as hopeless.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:55 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stimmed View Post
I dont want to glorify it in any way at all, but i drank simply bc i felt it was 'top drawer', period.
Just curious, what is 'top drawer'? I've never heard that term before.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:06 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

@ Jersey

I got it off an old hand at work years ago, this guy kept all his best tools in the top drawer of his tool box. He was describing the quality of some bacon he'd had as 'top draw' and i asked him what he meant. It just stuck with me :-)
Old 02-27-2011, 07:04 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Just curious, what is 'top drawer'? I've never heard that term before
It's Brit slang for "the good stuff". It comes from the days when folks typically kept their nicest jewelry and other belongings in the top drawer of their dressers.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:13 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I find that I tend not to have alcohol-related issues when I don't pick up that first drink. I never had problems every time I drank, but when I did have them (family issues, etc.) they often occurred when I was drinking. So I stopped. I really hope for good, but who really knows.

I think there are a lot of was to get and stay sober. But what they all have in common, on a fundamental first-principles kind of way, is abstaining from drinking alcohol. What one does from that point certainly differs as on can see from all the experiences posted on this site. I think we are all just trying to do the best that we know how to do. To get healthy and to stop hurting ourselves and others (well that is what i'm trying anyway. I'm not trying to put words in the mouths of others).
Old 02-27-2011, 02:27 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Hooligan

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Some post have been removed and others that quoted the
removed ones.....also went.

Please chill and remember......

Thanks.
Hmmmmm, some people seemed to get upset when someone told them "how it was". This is the exact way i felt, and i purposely wrote the post in a much more arrogant way. Though i do agree with what i posted i would never push it on anyone. And if AA is what you need that is great i do not disagree, we are all working to achieve a common goal. But we should not fight or push our views on each other about the "right" way to achieve the goal.

And to gravity, Things have changed greatly since i first came here. I was lost and confused, not sure if i really wanted to quit drinking. Like many i just wanted to moderate i wanted to keep the booze and its "good" feelings in my life. Soon learned that it was not an option, and i think i am somewhere around 150-160 days sober, not sure of the exact number.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:37 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'm not a AA member and I've been sober for 13 months....I wasn't an everyday drinker, but my drinking definetely progressed...and my actions weren't lining up with my core values...and that hit home when I was charged with a dui...that was it for me....drinking was no longer the "fun" it once was.....although I don't go to meetings (I've been a couple of times and a couple of times to CR) I think they are awesome for some people..I've done my own recovery work.....and if somebody wants to call me a dry drunk because I don't attend meetings..then so be it....that's their business..I know what's real for me..and what works...and at the end of the day as long as you don't pick up..and are happy with the way your life is going then that's all that really matters....
Old 02-27-2011, 03:49 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rusty Zipper View Post
bottom line,

alcoholism is progressive,

we'll still be here in another 10 years

good wishes
speak for yourself mate.

There is no more scientific proof of alcohol being a "disease" than there is of bi-polar being one. If one wishes to believe that they can never change their life to not include some form of substance abuse, that is their prerogative, however to suggest that everyone is the same is both disingenuous and plain rude.

I for one will not be here in 10 years, I do not have a progressive "disease" I dealt with a problem logically and scientifically and have no need to return to the former state. I refused to believe that it was something I could not overcome with my free will, I control my actions nothing else.

I truly believe these lifetime programs are a crutch and permanent reminder of that life addicts wish to leave behind. Why on earth would one want to include such misery in one's life, for me it is better to remove the problem and move onto other areas of life, not maintain a constant reminder of how things used to be.

I will not be here or anywhere like this in 10 years. I will be off enjoying the life my current activities are working towards. This part of my life will be a long forgotten blot on the past.

Everyone has the power to be the change they wish to be.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:36 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Hmmmmm, some people seemed to get upset when someone told them "how it was".
That's not actually what happened ItsMe. There was a comment made, then a bunch of us got pissy with each other. Only reason I'm tellin you this is because I don't want you thinking a bunch of comments were taken out because people got upset with you. That wasn't it.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:38 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Hooligan

Originally Posted by Ghostly View Post
That's not actually what happened ItsMe. There was a comment made, then a bunch of us got pissy with each other. Only reason I'm tellin you this is because I don't want you thinking a bunch of comments were taken out because people got upset with you. That wasn't it.
Ohhh okay then. Good to know i guess. Thanks
Old 02-27-2011, 06:25 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

to myheadhurts

i never said a word about "disease"

now i know why i stay the hell out of this forum

most of you know where to find me

good wishes itsme
Old 02-27-2011, 11:07 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by myheadhurts View Post
speak for yourself mate.

There is no more scientific proof of alcohol being a "disease" than there is of bi-polar being one. If one wishes to believe that they can never change their life to not include some form of substance abuse, that is their prerogative, however to suggest that everyone is the same is both disingenuous and plain rude.

I for one will not be here in 10 years, I do not have a progressive "disease" I dealt with a problem logically and scientifically and have no need to return to the former state. I refused to believe that it was something I could not overcome with my free will, I control my actions nothing else.

I truly believe these lifetime programs are a crutch and permanent reminder of that life addicts wish to leave behind. Why on earth would one want to include such misery in one's life, for me it is better to remove the problem and move onto other areas of life, not maintain a constant reminder of how things used to be.

I will not be here or anywhere like this in 10 years. I will be off enjoying the life my current activities are working towards. This part of my life will be a long forgotten blot on the past.

Everyone has the power to be the change they wish to be.
I think I can safely say that this is very similar to my philosophy on drinking. Of course this won't work for everybody, but damn, I woke up one morning after reaching a saturation point where I just knew in my heart that I never wanted to have another drink again. I never had a plan, nor did I ever really consider the notion of quitting any time soon. Still, I just knew it was time to quit. It didn't take me but a few moments to realize all of the incentives I needed to quit, with the primary one simply being that I really wanted to live and move forward with my life while putting my drinking days behind me. While quoting myheadhurts when he/she said, " I refused to believe that it was something I could not overcome with my free will, I control my actions nothing else," I fully agree. We do indeed control our own actions, and I sincerely believe that we do indeed have the power to deny ourselves from tipping that next drink if we've truly committed ourselves to the goal of remaining sober.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:16 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

I hate to burst your collective bubbles, but there is no scientific evidence that free will exists either. In fact, what evidence there is, tends to point to your brain deciding and then informing your consciousness of the illusion of choice. It turns out that the free will option is just as magical as any other recovery strategy. If it works you, that is wonderful, but somewhere along the line you probably should be vaguely aware of the leaps of faith you made.