Notices

Dear Charlie Sheen,

Old 03-01-2011, 12:59 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I havent read most of this thread yet, so if my response is unoriginal than forgive me.

First off-He is a lackluster (at best) actor who got his foot in the door due to Martin, and eventually managed to get lucky off of that and get some ridiculously high paying TV sitcom show. Have you seen some of his early performances like in Platoon and Wall Street? If not for some serious nepotism, the guy never would have had a career in acting, yet he wants to sit back with his delusional hubris and talk about "Winning" repeatedly.

I dont know if he is still engaging in drug abuse, or if he just has some real mental issues now. He seems to be lacking in decency at times. He blames the season cancellation on everyone else but himself (you screwed up several times buddy), and perhaps should consider the rest of the crew. I saw his interview where he was complaining about not getting enough money (despite the ridiculous amounts he has already made) to support his "family"-BREE OLSON, a nanny, and a "wife".

Its sad that so many people work so hard for peanuts, yet he is exalted for his lifestyle. Last I heard he wants to sue CBS for 300 million...for what? He has already made an exorbitant amount off of his crap acting. People work incredibly hard for a meager living, and someone like him gets an incredible living (which he is squandering).

Sorry, I dont mean to be negative. Im just giving my 100% honest opinion/rant.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:46 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I just don't understand how he has custody of two very young toddlers...where is the 2nd wife???? Brooke Mueller? out partying with Paris Hilton?

if you read the gossip mags online, Bree Olsen was undercontract to an adult film group and made 8 sex films a year...she probably sees Charlie as her meal ticket and is also shopping for an agent..using the same woman who manages other women who had affairs with celebrities.

IDK, like i said, the rich are different.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:26 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I have never gone out of my way to watch or hire a movie, knowingly with Charlie Sheen in it, if I've seen a movie with CH, I wouldn't have known it was him.
So all this recent publicity about this SH, has worked, "now I know who ya talkin about, that face, duh, ok", type of thing.
Well, to me he seems like a typical alcoholic mind person, willing to recover and needs his family around him for recovery. I can vouch for that one personally.
Just because one is a public figure, earns alot of money, they seem to get all this attention, and the "power" here is dollar-driven, so it seems.
And we want more, we want the best, we want an encore.
Ordinarily, from the "forced observation" via the TV, he seems simply to be a garden variety alcoholic, who unfortunately broke anonminity as per Tradition 11.
When he said the other night on a TV interview, words to the effect, "here take my brain, deal with it", or similar, I knew exactly what he meant and that does not mean he is crazy. It's our cryptic way of explaining things that is natural to us like minded, ordinarily. Yet the the "opinion" of some blonde "normal proffesional" lables it as "psychotic". Nothing can be further from the truth. It may seem like "psychotic behavior", but who pushes the envelope to such an extreme because of the demand of "impossible perfectionism?
The "normals" neurotic psycho thinking does.

But that's ok, the positive is, the gift of desperation gets a higher price to.
More pain, more suffering, more carnage on the roads, more alcohol and prescribed drug tax dollars add infinintum.

Hope there is a lesson to be learnt or 2 here, it will not change the basic structre of alcohol as chemical/drug/whatever scientific lable one chooses to apply, it will not change the consequences. All this publicity and stigmatising of AA, NA or whatever recovery fraternities are out there, does not change a thing of their respective basic principles.

If CS needs his family around him, then let him and his family be and get on with your own recovery, and mine and yours to for that matter.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:16 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Sobersaurus

I agree, he is being very public about it, but that to me is one of the saddest parts. Obviously he's off his rocker at present, whether because of drugs & alcohol or mental illness or like many of us here: both. It very much saddens me that we as a public feed off this and encourage it. We should want better for anyone who is sick. We shouldn't be interviewing him on The Today Show.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:30 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Untoxicated View Post
How quickly some of us forget our darkest hour.

I hope Charlie finds his way back and gets the help he needs.
Man.. That is SO TRUE!
Old 03-02-2011, 04:26 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

his drama continues and escalates with constant interviews and the media lapping it up. it's like an accident, but i still look.

today he goes live again with his "fangs dripping tiger blood"...i am glad that his toddlers have been removed from his *care*...i hope his family will intervene and get him some help, because it obvious he is more than a little ill.

in my darkest time, i have never threatened to cut off anyone's head and send it to their mother in a box.....(and my xhusband ticked me off plenty).
Old 03-02-2011, 04:35 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Not for nothing but, if this was a member of SR would all this judgement be taking place? Are we "better" drunks and addicts than any other? The only difference between him and me is his checking account balance. Patience, Love, and Tolerence. That is our code. Sometimes we forget that. Just sayin...
Old 03-02-2011, 05:18 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I dunno stugotz...I'm not as tolerant as many of you, maybe I'll get there.

If he was on this forum....well two thoughts.

1: If he was on this forum, he'd be admitting to having a problem by coming here (presumably.) So no, he wouldn't be judged quite so harshly, as long as he'd made some sort of admittance.

2: If he was spouting the nasty, arrogant "I'm special and none of you are special" bullcrap on these forums, then yes, I think he'd be petty much excoriated for it.

I haven't been on these forums for that long but I can think of two threads right off the top of my head where someone basically said "I'm not really like all you common drunks" in a pretty mild way - and got called out for it.

I don't think "Patience, Love, and Tolerence" is always the appropriate response to people behaving badly, just saying. It's OK to call people out.

Not really gonna invoke Godwins Law here but if anyone wants to know what I mean, google it.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:59 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Didnt all of us at one time think we were "special"? That we didnt have a problem? That we were "normal" and that the rest of the world just didnt "understand" us? That addicts and alcoholics were those people that lived under bridges and ate out of garbage cans and begged for money on the street? Park Place or Skidrow, the pain is the same.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:01 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Eating protein and life.

Originally Posted by Stevie1 View Post
I dunno stugotz...I'm not as tolerant as many of you, maybe I'll get there.
I hope you do, it's a great way to live.

I don't think "Patience, Love, and Tolerence" is always the appropriate response to people behaving badly, just saying. It's OK to call people out.
That's how many of us ended up here.

so I agree with whoever said **** Charlie Sheen on the other thread.
This is not calling someone out, btw.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:05 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Yanno, if half of the attention given to watching just another alcoholic melt down (cuz that's really all this is....watching the train wreck of alcoholism and gawking like dolts at it) was given to people who actually want sobriety and want some help and want to change their lives......imagine how much better the world would be.

I'm glad I don't have time to watch his interviews, get educated on the show, follow his progress, and dissect his words so I can psychoanalyze him myself and talk about it over lunch with my co-workers.

There are 1000's of alcoholics dying from this disease who WANT your help. What do you spend more time doing - watching Charlie Sheen or helping them? How much time have you/we put into watching him on tv this week vs how much time have we put into helping a willing alcoholic this week?

Do you focus on watching Charlie Sheen wax poetic about absolute madness, denial and delusion..........or do you look for you own current madness, denial and delusion? Nope, we watch him and relish in his life........anything to take us out of our own lives. Hmmm, kinda sounds like TV is now doing for us what drinking used to do for us........
Old 03-02-2011, 06:13 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Frankly I don't think the mans problems are addiction at least right now. I think he's having a mental breakdown in an epically public way. He is probably the number 1 topic on fb right now and none of its kind. He's a human being, there are people who love him and are heartbroken over this and he is being exploited...by the people interviewing him who know they will get huge ratings, to the two women who are obviously using him to get whatever fame/noteriety they are seeking.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:27 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
Frankly I don't think the mans problems are addiction at least right now.
he is drug-free, but he has about as much understanding as to what is going on with him as an infant does that just crapped their pants.

his problems are what's left, absent of drugs.
he dosen't have a clue how to live now, imo. his rants are his mind looking for any kind of peace, and i don't believe he has any at all.

he is a product of being detoxed physically but still having a very toxic brain. the toxic brain can take years to heal, and sadly, it's what makes sobriety dam near impossible for people like him without help. the man just needs to humble himself and listen to some people who have done this for awhile until his brain can catch up with his body.

i genuinely feel sorry for the dude.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:33 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

i watch the Today show (and the weather channel) every day as I do my morning routine getting ready for work. in the evening i watch the news and sometimes the after part entertainment segment.

I don't think that makes me a shallow person.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

He was on 20/20 last night to and from what he said, and the clip I watched, he has been to treatment before and he has attended meetings. In the clip he sounded a whole lot more focused on recovery back then. What I related to in the tape is what he looked like then and what 20 more years of drinking has done to him both physically and mentaly. Been there, although of course I wasn't on TV thank God. I do have to say though some of these posts are going a little overboard. I don't think because people are watching this that somehow it means they aren't working w/other alky's.

Last edited by newby1961; 03-02-2011 at 08:31 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-02-2011, 09:06 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

Wow, my topic has certainly stirred up a mix of reactions...

In my original post, what I was saying is that everybody's special. Nobody's special. An alcoholic is like another in kind. Saying you're "special" and different... well, we do know the drill don't we? I know that as long as I separated myself from those drunks I couldn't really be an alcoholic. AA was for them, but not me.

I think he'll find everything out in his own time. It's a shame to me that he appears to want to go down in flames, taking everyone (including Alcoholics Anonymous) with him directly in the public eye. I'm sure being a celebrity has its great ups, but in a situation like this I can't imagine going through it in front of millions of people, most of whom form an opinion instantly based on one or two things, and forget about him.

I hope he gets his proverbial feces together... for his own sake.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:06 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newby1961 View Post
I don't think because people are watching this that somehow it means they aren't working w/other alky's.
Yeah, I kind of thought Daytrader was dissing my love of watching slow-motion trainwrecks. Fascinating, really.

But, I have to say he's got a point. Really, how many people worked with another alkie who wanted help last night? How many watched the Charlie TV coverage?

Usually when I get offended by someone's criticism, it's because I know there is some truth to it. When someone calls me on my crap, my initial gut reaction is to get defensive. I do that because my delusional image of myself as Mr. Wonderful has just been threatened, and I'll go to great lengths to protect that delusion (ego).

For the record, I went over an 8th Step list with a guy last night and didn't watch the news, and felt neutral towards DT's post. Funny that.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:20 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I don't think sarcasm is necessary because there is a difference in opinion. it's kind of saying " I am more worthy than you are because I did this instead of that"

"for the record"...i worked until 8Pm last night and then walked my dog. both are important to my sobriety.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:37 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I guess if you don’t want to witness the Charlie train wreck then don’t turn on your tv, radio or computer. Don’t pick up a newspaper…………..stick to YOUR meetings, helping other alcoholics and doing your service work……….kudos to you!!!

Lots of my helping this week involved talking this whole thing out with willing alcoholics who can’t help but witness this train wreck before their eyes, it’s near impossible to miss it and confusing to say the least. Lots of emotions round this one.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:54 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I hope when I eventually make my 1 year post that all of you comment and give me lots of pages........I know I thrive from the support here