Notices

Self respect

Old 02-25-2011, 07:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Self respect

I had kind of an epiphany today. I finished a long workday I spent clear headed and working hard. This is what I realized. Not so long ago if I had died, almost no one would have cared or cried or talked about what a great person I was. It would have been a small gathering of only people who felt obligated to be there. There would have been a lot of people saying thank god thats over. Maybe some people would have picked up the paper and recognized me and had nothing good to say.

Now I can honestly say there would be a lot of tears, a lot of talking amongst each other about how I was a good person and tried to make a difference in their lives, and a good turn out.

I've never cared about funerals or birthday parties or any ritualistic gatherings my whole life. But just this idea that I would be sorely missed, it blows my mind considering where I was.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm nearing the end of my life at 75...

The most important thing .... I want my legacy to be...
I did the best I could at the time
with whatever life tossed my way.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree its good to have some self respect back

I'm not at all worried about being missed or not, but I do want to do as much good as I can while I'm still breathing...makes a change from the years when it was gimme gimme take take take

D
Old 02-25-2011, 11:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Making a meaningful life is a noble effort.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

That's actually one of the thoughts that helped me decide to get sober--the thought that nobody who didn't HAVE to be at my funeral would be there.

I don't honestly care how many people actually show up, but it's the idea of people caring whether I'm on the planet. I'd say there are a lot more of them today than there were back then.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Re:Self respect

What's most important is that you’re safe, sober and no longer in harm’s way.

Death and funerals are still a part of life's unfolding mystery, and our drinking can be as well. So be strong, vigilant and pay due diligence to one of life's most valued treasures, our sobriety one day at a time.

~God Bless~

Still staring up at those stars? Guess What? There staring back at you...God's Smiling can't you tell...how cool is that.