Notices

Going out tonight....

Old 03-01-2011, 11:55 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Matt M

I've only been sober 3 weeks but i'm out alot this month.
I've got 3 gigs and 2 nights out, so 5 nights. And two of the gigs i'm going alone, so not drinking is going to be a hell of a test.
Still haven't been in a bar since i've been sober but this is the big test now.

I know exactly what you are seeing but strangely, unexpectedly, I feel OK in social situations when sober now, I never in the world thought I would but I do in a way feel even more confident.
I think a reason for that is that I've always just been Matt, i've never chopped or change the way I am for anybody or acted differently around different people, so I think that's helped.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:21 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by loveon2legs View Post
Hi everyone...

It's a rare night out for me, I'm going out for dinner with a bunch of ladies to celebrate a girlfriends birthday....afterwards they want to go to a bar to go dancing, thankfully I have to work.... Even after 13 months I still feel "on guard" about social drinking situations.....I guess that's a good thing, I just wonder if I will ever truly be able to relax in these situations.........
One good thing is I celebrate 13 months today..so dinner will be sooo nice!!!

Anybody else feel this way??
There is the saying that if you hang out in barber shops you end up getting a lot of hair cuts. I think there is a lot of truth to that. I have almost two years sober and I only enter into those types of situations when I absolutely have to. And yeah, it makes me feel anxious and nervous. Plus, it isn't fun to watch other people drink.

I had to be around a lot of people drinking a little over a week ago at my brother-in-laws wedding. Thankfully I didn't drink and it just reaffirmed that the new life that I have is far better than my old life.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:55 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I couldn't agree more with all of your posts...thank-you...
The only reason I went out with a group of drinking ladies was because it was my friends birthday...It wasn't my idea of fun at all...but like I said I did it for her.. I don't mind being around people drinking...it's the way of the world....what I don't like is when the line is crossed from drinking to getting hammered....I make my exit fast....not that I'm tempted to drink...I just don't like that scene... my biggest problem is finding people to associate with that don't drink....something I"m working on.....its all said and done now...and I'm not planning on attending any parties in the near future...although I'm sure I'm on the list for invites...DD are in high demand!!
Old 03-02-2011, 10:30 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by loveon2legs View Post
I don't mind being around people drinking...it's the way of the world)
I thought this too but it's not the way of the world...its the way of our individual worlds...the fact is that most people don't drink much at all...

You've hit the nail on the head which is to try and get sane, mature people into your life and then going out with them will be good fun...if we have changed no longer will drinkers be attracted to us and we will attract these people (non-alcoholic responsible adults), i can attest that this is reality and true:-)
Old 03-02-2011, 04:26 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

So true, an "friend" of mine who I partied with for years came around for awhile after I had quit drinking..now that she knows I've got my life together and not drinking...I don't see her anymore...we are not on the same "wavelength" anymore....and I'm not giving in to all her drama...I just won't have that in my life!! period.... so the next part of my journey is to venture out more and discover real friendships.....
I do think however, that drinking is the way of the world...at least the majority of it... I just hear it all the time about people drinking wine after work..blah blah blah....going out for dinner and drinks..blah blah blah... not that I have an issue with their drinking I couldn't care less...I feel at times definetely like a minority....
Old 03-02-2011, 05:02 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
orangutan

I cant be around alcahol at the moment to much temptation. I think I am going to be spending a lot of time at home alone , I live in a small town population 250 everything centres around the club and the pub .Everyone knows everyone here all our gatherings are centred around drinking BBQ's etc.
I will just have to get stronger first .
Old 03-03-2011, 12:04 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Matt M

I'm out tonight. Bingo for christs sake (feel like a 60 yearold woman).
Normally i'd get in about 3 pints when I was there and drink before I went out.
It'll be easy not to drink, I shall report back later!
Old 03-03-2011, 02:51 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

After being sober for three years (last time...), I actually got to the stage where "going out for a drink" meant going out and having a ginger beer in my mind. Sure, all the drinkers that would have more than two or three were no longer in my life, and those that would habitually have many wouldn't bother asking me if they wanted to have a drinking session. I also loved ginger beer - I was a huge fan of high quality "hand-brewed" beer and you can actually get high quality extremely low alcohol (less than 0.5%) "hand-brewed" ginger beer (root beer is probably the same) if you know the right places. And it tastes great! I can't wait to get back to that place again...