Notices

Mouthwash?

Old 02-24-2011, 05:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Mouthwash?

Last time I was at the dentist they recommended using a mouthwash after brushing and flossing at night to kill plaque causing bacteria. The product they recommended (rhymes with 'blister-reen') is loaded with alcohol.

I haven't used it yet...in fact I'm afraid to...because I don't want to jeopardize 7.5 months of no alcohol entering my body.

Are there any non-alcohol bacteria killing mouthwashes out there?

What do you do?

Murray
Old 02-24-2011, 05:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

There are several non-alcoholic mouthwashes out there. You just have to read the labels. In fact, I believe blisterine has a non-alcoholic mouthwash called Zero.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((Murray))) - I know there ARE non-alcohol-containing mouthwashes, but can't remember the names. When I was locked up in the diversion center (sort of like a work release thing) we weren't allowed any perfume or mouthwash that contained alcohol. I was in the female dorm and we all had the ONE type of perfume that didn't have alcohol, and there were a few, not many, varieties of mouthwash, but that was almost 6 years ago, and I'm sure there are more out there.

I'm not an alcoholic, but a crack addict. If anyone to recommend I use anything that even vaguely resembled crack, I'd find another option. You can call any drug store and ask the pharmacist..don't have to say who you are, just ask them.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-24-2011, 05:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've used both depending on availability...but it gave me pause I seemed to use the alcohol laden version more often and go through it faster, so I generally go for non alcoholic alternatives....I generally use OralB, but check the net for brands.

I'm reliably informed (by my dentist) the non alcoholic varieties provide a similar level of antimicrobial activity, as the alcohol is not actually added for antiseptic qualities.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 02-24-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not waving, but drowning

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
There are several non-alcoholic mouthwashes out there. You just have to read the labels. In fact, I believe blisterine has a non-alcoholic mouthwash called Zero.
Yes--- Zero is a lovely lavender color---and the company has been doing a media blitz lately, so it should be easily available.

I was horrified when I realized how much alcohol was in mouthwash! Yikes....
Old 02-24-2011, 06:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Crest is a pretty good brand of non-alcoholic mouthwash.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Personally, I haven't had a problem with alcohol-based mouthwash........ BUT..... I'm sponsoring a guy who, after 6 years in AA decided that "drinking mouthwash didn't really count cuz it wasn't whiskey nor was it beer." That led to 8 frickin YEARS of being back out there, destroying himself, his marriage, his parents, etc etc etc..... Now he's back in the program with 50 days wondering why and how he not only blew 6 years of recovery but blew it for 8 years of drinking and drugs - all over drinking mouthwash.

Listerine isn't a problem in my house but it sure as hell is in his. Listen to your gut....if you think it might be an issue, just buy the alcohol free stuff. Several manufacturers have alcohol free mouthwash...just stick with that.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm an alcohol addict, but I don't have an issue with using Listerine (which has alc in it) as a mouthwash. I could probably switch to a different one though, since I don't use it religiously. (Sorry if that grosses anyone out.)

Maybe this article has some information people will be interested in. I just did a random search and I'm not pushing for one thing over another. I think dentists and their staff should be able to answer to questions about which products are good and which ones to can replace the more well-known alcohol-based ones. If they don't, well, at least I wish they would.

The role of alcohol in oral carcinogenesis with particular reference to alcohol-containing mouthwashes - McCullough - 2008 - Australian Dental Journal - Wiley Online Library
Old 02-24-2011, 10:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Thanks.

I think I'll steer clear of the alcohol based stuff. It makes me n-n-n-nervous thinking about how I might not spit it all out, how I might make sure a little tiny bit accidentally sort of slips down my throat. I wouldn't strike a match after spilling gasoline on my shirt...this sort of feels the same.

Murray
Old 02-25-2011, 02:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Warm salt water, one of the best mouthwashes out there!
Old 02-25-2011, 02:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Idiot!

I wouldn't/don't risk it so avoid anything with alcohol in it. I can put my near relapses down to coming into contact with alcohol in some form or other, hand-wash, accidentally inhaling hairspray etc.

I am a bit obsessive over it but it really is not worth the risk of relapse IMHO. I would find a non-alcoholic version and if not possible, don't risk it.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I found some of the same mouthwash in our cupboard from a while back and said to my mum to use it up. Now every time she uses it the bathroom smells like a vodka-tank to me! I even wiped a table after a meeting with the wrong detergent and myself along with 3 or 4 other people winced from the smell- the alcohol in it seemed so strong!! VERY sensitive to it now goodness knows what that mouthwash would taste like, not good!!!! Yeah as people have said there are other brands without it, don't take the risk and make your bathroom smell like a vodka tank! Must remember to ask my Mum to throw it out!!
Old 02-25-2011, 02:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm just glad I am now in a position to worry about what dental hygiene techniques I use. For years when I was drinking dental hygiene was at the bottom of my to do list , sure I would brush my teeth in the morning but that was to mask the smell of alcohol not to help keep my teeth and gums healthy.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I accidentally bought a new toothpaste that contains alcohol and it triggered a craving in me. The first time I used it I immediately tasted the alcohol, so I looked at the label and sure enough it contains alcohol. I still use it because it's no longer a powerful experience for me and it does not trigger me.