Notices

"Real" Alcoholic?

Old 02-24-2011, 09:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

"Real" Alcoholic?

Alcohol was not my main "drug of choice", and I never became physically addicted to it, but when I did drink, I was always the one who had "tee many martooni's" or was happy to lose drinking games so I could blame my excessive drunkenness on someone else. I was definitely a "problem drinker", and, though I occasionally stopped after a drink or two, I would usually drink until the alcohol was gone or I was too drunk or sick to keep going.

So, would I be considered a "true alcoholic"? Or just an addict that cannot/should not drink?" Just wondering.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi OWW!

For me, I took the label out of the equation...trying to decide whether I am or not an alcoholic is just leaving a door open for me to go back. So I tell myself it doesn't matter. Alcohol is simply bad, and I love myself too much (now) to swallow poison.

Love the new Avatar...did you paint that?
Old 02-24-2011, 10:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

it's oil pastel. I haven't used them lately, but I used to in high school. I drew the avatar drawing in 2008.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's fantastic! Love it!
Old 02-24-2011, 11:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

It may be possible for someone who used/abused or was addicted to illegal drugs to drink. Maybe. I base that solely on posts on the substance abuse forum from folks who say they can drink without issue.

However, in my personal experience, no one I know, including myself, who used drugs drinks like a normal person. We are just replacing an illegal substance with a legal one. The reason we want to get high remains the same, only the method has changed.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
Hi OWW!

For me, I took the label out of the equation...trying to decide whether I am or not an alcoholic is just leaving a door open for me to go back. So I tell myself it doesn't matter. Alcohol is simply bad, and I love myself too much (now) to swallow poison.
What she said! Exactly, what she said. To me, it is a distinction without a difference.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Defintely agree LaFemme.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

LF, I like your philosophy. The label shouldn't matter...doing what's good for ourselves is important
Old 02-24-2011, 02:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Real alcoholic, real addict, or both, doesn't matter, the solution is still the same. It is helpful to find your truth, but either way don't allow yourself to suffer from the delusion that it is alright for a real addict to drink or for a real alcoholic to shoot heroin.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Like I said in the other thread along these lines, I wouldn't get too hung up on the terminology. If you think drinking is a problem then you probably shouldn't do it.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I agree with the rest. Labels are not the important issue. Why you drink is the question I would be asking. I have a self diagnosed “addictive prone personality”. I can get hung up on ANYTHING, good or bad. I work very hard to eliminate the bad ones and cultivate the good ones. Years ago I was a workaholic. Work is a good thing (helps pay the bills and all that stuff) but carried to excess it can be very damaging. Ask my ex. The same thing is true in every area of life. Get rid of the bad and keep the good stuff.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

"Normal drinkers" don't ever consider the possibility of alcoholism being a threat. If you've had the concern, chances are there is a problem which needs addressing.

Don't get caught up in the semantics. Do what you know in your heart to be true.

I've never been a fan of labels....
Old 02-24-2011, 06:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I also started out *only* a heavy drinker when I went out - which wasn't by any means all too often...

But with the normal alcoholic progression, it eventually caught up with me... and I ended up a 'round the clock' drinker - something I'd not wish on my worst enemy...
Old 02-24-2011, 06:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

OWW... the term "Real Alcoholic" comes from AA - specifically the Big Book on page 21. On p.20 - 24 the book tries to clarify the differences between the different types of people who have trouble with booze. It refers to the "hard drinker" as someone who would appear to most ppl to be an alcoholic....they're having big problems with drinking, so on and so forth but, in the end, the "hard drinker" hasn't lost the power of choice - they're able to summon their will power, make a decision to stop and (through any various methods) stop drinking.

In contrast, the "real alcoholic" summons up their will power, sets their mind to quitting, maybe even makes all sorts of changes in their life.......but never manages to follow through with quitting their drinking. The "real alcoholic" has lost the power to choose to "just not drink." The real alkie and the hard drinker may drink exactly the same amounts, with the same frequency, and get into the same trouble......but the big difference is one has the ability to quit on a non-spiritual basis whereas the other does not have that power.

As an AA'r, I try not to use the term "real alcoholic" here on this site because most of the ppl not in the program take it offensively - as if I (we in AA) are calling them somehow "less-than-alcoholics" or something of that nature. They make the assumption that we in AA are making light of their drinking and/or their troubles.

"Real Alcoholics" (as the term is used in the AA book) are folks who cannot quit drinking on a non-spiritual basis. "Real alcoholics" (as it's used in the AA book) are people who can't control the amount they drink once they start and they can't keep from starting up again after they've stopped. It has NOTHING to do with frequency, amounts, levels of physical addiction, amount of trouble the drinking has put you in, or any other stuff like that.

Can't control how much you drink once you start - strike 1
Can't stay stopped - strike 2
- congrats, you're a "real alcoholic" as defined by the AA Big Book. -- and really, that's a booby-prize because if you meet those qualifications, you're basically destined to die an alcoholic death OR find a spiritual solution to your problem.

hope that helps......

and I'm a bit tired.....so if I left something out, someone please correct me.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Perhaps these threads would better be suited in the 12 step forum?
Old 02-24-2011, 06:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Well, since alcohol is progressive and goes from early stage to late stage, it would be hard to have a single definition I think. And since it's a mind-altering drug, I would think addicts would want to stay away from it, just like alcoholics wouldn't want to take up doing benzos.....

The tendency to drink "until it's gone" is something I think most alcoholics can certainly relate to.

"tee many martooni's"
oh man, I think I had my very worst drunk on those......
Old 02-24-2011, 07:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was definitely a "problem drinker", and, though I occasionally stopped after a drink or two, I would usually drink until the alcohol was gone or I was too drunk or sick to keep going.
No matter what you decide to call yourself OWW, my advice would be to avoid anything that might lead to you going back there...or getting worse - why poke the tiger?
D
Old 02-24-2011, 07:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yeah duh you're an alcoholic.

A short story. I told a good friend I felt I was an alcoholic. He said "could I be an alcoholic too? It seems like I drink beer almost every day." I said how much do you drink when you drink? He said "I usually have one, but sometimes I'll have two".

The only times I've been able to have one or two beers in my life, theres been really intense social pressure to not drink or only have one or two, i.e. a company party. I cannot drink one or two. I don't even want to think about that prospect.. its making me thirsty. And when I get thirsty, I don't get thirsty for one beer. I don't even mentally imagine one beer. I either imagine a case or a six pack or maybe the biggest stein sized glass of beer ever made. Other people don't think that way because they don't give a crap about beer its nothing to them.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Alcoholic or not?

Ask yourself this one question...can you live without it?

Then you'll know......
Old 02-24-2011, 08:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
Perhaps these threads would better be suited in the 12 step forum?
Why? The OP never mentioned the 12 steps or AA, and only a one of the responses did.