Notices

Alcoholic, yes or no?

Old 02-23-2011, 09:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic, yes or no?

Hello,

Moe here again, i have a question, im not sure who to belive because people on here tell me i am an alcoholic, but all my friends say i am not, one friend is an alkie who continues to drink and shes 30 and been drinking all her life, she says shes an alcoholic, but says you cant be an alcoholic if you've been drinking for only 2 years now which I have. But if i am correct isnt the definition of alcoholic someone who is unable to function normally mentally and sometimes physically without the use of alcohol? if one cannot stop drinking without help isnt said person an alcoholic? im confused here.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

From what you said, you are powerless over alcohol. So that would make you an alcoholic I believe.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If drinking is causing you problems, then it's a problem no matter what you call it. I had only been drinking about six months when I found myself drinking all day, every day, and going thru w/d every morning.

Never mind what other people say, what do you think?
Old 02-23-2011, 09:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MaureenBeer View Post
but says you cant be an alcoholic if you've been drinking for only 2 years now which I have.
That's ridiculous. If you can't stop drinking on your own and it interferes with your life, and if you mentally obsess over alcohol when you're trying not to drink, you could definitely be an alcoholic, regardless of how long you have been drinking.

Here's an alcoholism screening quiz that you might take: Michigan Alcohol Screening Test (MAST), Revised

GG
Old 02-23-2011, 09:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

By the time I decided to stop drinking and join AA
all my social circle were at best...excessive drinkers.

None of them thought I was an alcoholic...I knew I was.

You are getting mis information from the 30 year old alcoholic
however well meaning she intends to be.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The length of time you've been drinking shouldn't matter. You could be addicted to all kinds of things after "only" two years of use, right?

But in any case I wouldn't get too hung up in the terminology. If you think you have a problem and want to stop, then does it matter if you meet some definition of alcoholic?

In my case my behavior matched a lot of the definitions of alcoholism yet neither my doctor nor my psychologist(s) actually came out and said I was an alcoholic. But that doesn't mean I didn't need to quit.

Lastly, if you think you have a problem and want to quit, listen to yourself. I made the mistake of listening to friends on this subject. Even my wife told me I didn't have a problem, twice. Do what you think you need to do.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

Gulp! i scored 18! I did answer one Q as if i was still there tho.
How glad am to be on the wagon.

Off to work soon, and i feel better about the day already. :-)
Old 02-23-2011, 10:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

None of my hard drinking social circle thought I was an alcoholic either - my family will still not accept it.

It's about how I feel - I know my drinking was destroying me.

I know your drinking has caused you trouble and problems too Moe - and I know you find trouble stopping....isn't that the best determinant here?

No matter what you want to call it, you're here for a reason

D
Old 02-23-2011, 10:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all

you have all been very helpful to me in my recovery process, i am confident that with the help of this forum and AA which i am planning to attend in the near future that i will be able to quit my ways and after i quit i plan to stay here to help others who struggle with what i have been though because after that i will have known what it really means to quit for good!
Old 02-23-2011, 10:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Maureen - you're already helping others by sharing your own experience. So thanks back at you!

I agree that there's no specific amount of time one needs to drink to be an "official" alcoholic. Alcoholism is more of a continuum - so it goes from early to late stage alcoholism. People have a stereotype of alcoholism (homeless, delirious and stumbling around inner cities)...... And lots of alcoholics use this as a form of denial so they/we can continue to drink (I'm not THAT bad)....

I'm just glad there are place like this that can help people like us so we can get off the not-so-merry-go-round sooner! Keep going strong - you can do it!
Old 02-24-2011, 01:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you all

you have all been very helpful to me in my recovery process, i am confident that with the help of this forum and AA which i am planning to attend in the near future that i will be able to quit my ways and after i quit i plan to stay here to help others who struggle with what i have been though because after that i will have known what it really means to quit for good!
Hey Moe, I remember your earlier posts. I am glad you are taking steps to address this sooner rather than later, good for you! Keep coming back here.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello,

Moe here again, i have a question, im not sure who to belive because people on here tell me i am an alcoholic, but all my friends say i am not, one friend is an alkie who continues to drink and shes 30 and been drinking all her life, she says shes an alcoholic, but says you cant be an alcoholic if you've been drinking for only 2 years now which I have. But if i am correct isnt the definition of alcoholic someone who is unable to function normally mentally and sometimes physically without the use of alcohol? if one cannot stop drinking without help isnt said person an alcoholic? im confused here.
Stop drinking. If it bothers you you are an alcoholic and should stay sober. If it does not bother you then continue to abstain, no bother at all right?
Either way you are better off.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

IMHO, the issue of being an alcoholic can only be answered by you and you alone. Honesty in questioning yourself seems to work around 3 a.m. when you awake dry-mouthed, in a fog, and feeling quite miserable after a evening of over-indulgence. Don't let others decide your condition, the margin of error is much to great and the stakes are too high.

Peace
Padraic
Old 02-24-2011, 05:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Glad to see the update Moe. I didn't read through the responses but you know what to do here. If your life is not where you feel it should be and you find something is negative then you do something about it. If I listened to some in my life.....well I would still be in a dark hole trying to figure out why I can't just have 1 or why I can't control my alcohol intake.

Every day in recovery has been a blessing for me so I am looking forward to your journey and being able to offer our experience and help others.....yeahhhh....that is really good feeling.