Notices

Is there such a thing

Old 02-23-2011, 12:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is there such a thing

In your opinion what is a functional alcoholic? Mine says he is responsible and goes to work and always has. I say what about the rest of your time and how you act when you drink? Are you functioning then?

Curious of you take on this. THANKS!!
Old 02-23-2011, 12:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

are you looking for justification about how you feel towards "your" alcoholic?

I think a thread like this will only serve to once again pit people against each other. I don't think it is friendly or helpful.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I always thought the traditional definition of a functioning alcoholic was someone who was dependent on booze but otherwise managed their lives (especially their work lives) in a way that most other people would never know about their problem.

The problem for me was that I was a functioning alcoholic for years but eventually started to slip more and more and would have ended up as a non-functioning alcoholic in short order if I hadn't quit.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No, not trying to pit anyone against anyone. I am trying to learn about this disease of alcoholism. You do not have to participate if you do not want to.

Learning from each other can be a positive thing.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This thread covers it perfectly IMHO:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...alcoholic.html
Old 02-23-2011, 02:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I work from home, so it was quite easy to be a functioning 24-7 drunk.. Which I was for years..

But towards the end (and my official journy began in 5/2009 with many relapses since), I could still work, but I could not function at enjoying life without thinking about booze. Meaning, I would cancel going to things because I knew I couldnt have a drink in my hand.. I wouldn't drive, my wife would have to drive me everywhere because I didn't want to drink and drive..ect...

Theres many levels.. But at some point, the alcoholic will cease functioning completely (and or breathing).. Just a matter of time.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I once claimed to be a "functional alcoholic". Now that I am sober, I realize that I was in complete denial thinking that. Us alcoholics try to justify our behavior to others and to ourselves.

Even if you are working etc. Your alcoholism still effects others around you and yourself. Just because you are bringing home a paycheck doesn't mean that you don't have a problem.

So, I don't believe in the term "functional alcoholic"

Much love,

HappyCamper
Old 02-23-2011, 02:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I always went to work.

So, hmm, I don't believe that attendance, or lack of, attendance is indicative of too much, except how far down one goes...

I see the whole high functioning thing as denial... which is too bad.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
This thread covers it perfectly IMHO:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...alcoholic.html
agreed. I just read that a while ago and thought it explained it perfectly. Some people stay "functional" longer than others, but sooner or later, it gets out of hand.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I used to consider myself a high functional heavy daily drinker, then I realized I was an alcoholic, and that sort of made it clear that I wasn't really functioning, I was just doing the minimum to get by without being noticed as a drunk.

It is hard for anyone to really realize how unfunctional you really are until you quit drinking in my opinion.