Notices

Mementos of Anarchy

Old 02-23-2011, 11:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mementos of Anarchy

Most of the mementos of alcoholism we carry around with us are buried in the psyche or we leave them in never-never land so we don't have to confront them. Since I stopped drinking I have exhumed a few memories from the graveyard of my alcoholic past... they include broken ribs, broken toes, lost cars, mountain falls, dehydration (while running a half marathon intoxicated), disorientation, dislocation, broken relationships, and malnutrition. So, when I quit, wanting something to remind me that alcohol was the agent of my life of chaos, I chose the last beer can. It occupies a place in my cupboard where I see it every day. Today, just over a year down the line, it doesn't look happy. It looks buckled and bent. It's empty. And there's no uproarious laughter of the kind it bore witness to in pubs across the world. When I look at the history of that beer can, I see thousands and thousands of others, now all empty... discarded, broken or recycled for yet another life of infamy. This evening, I realized that if I hadn't set that beer can down 13 months ago, it would have since been joined by 2,548 other beer cans. What are your mementos of alcohol? And how many beers or bottles have you NOT drunk in sobriety?
Old 02-23-2011, 12:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

My mementos don't qualify as battle damage, rather they are reminders of the long-term procrastination that typified my drinking years--furniture awaiting refinishing, half-finished painting projects, clutter to clean up, and so forth. But I'm sober and there are about a 1000 beers mourning my departure.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

Wowee that made me think!
Helps me appreciate whats good today...
Thanks Awol :-)
Old 02-23-2011, 02:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A Nice permanent scar running across my face that I get to see every day in the mirror or when I try to shave.

Always a nice reminder of what can happen when I drink and go for a run in the mountains.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i kept a 1/2 gallon of VAT69 and a 6 pack of beer on my dresser for the last 15 months.
My wife asked me why i kept it there and i simply don't have a good answer. i think it would bother me if it was gone so i've kept it there all this time. maybe as a reminder of what i let go of? i don't know, really.

i did the math, and i have not drank exactly 450 half gallons of whiskey. it's what i used to drink daily. i've saved $14,827.50 in booze cost since getting sober.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

121 gallons of bourbon NOT consumed so far. God, when you say it like that.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

As I shared on another thread....and it fits here too...
I'm a "Throw negetive things quickly away" Woman.

By staying daily connected to God and living the AA Steps
I also don't keep negetive thoughts cloudeing my vision.

Let's all enjoy another day of victory over addiction