Notices

How to take care of myself?

Old 02-21-2011, 07:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to take care of myself?

I am now 3 days sober and slept great last night, so that's not an issue. I don't know who posted it, but I am like them in that, when I was drinking I would pass out no problem, but my sleep was very disturbed, waking every two hours to pee (don't miss that!) or being thirsty, or trying like heck to remember what i did the night before.

My question now is, what is the best way to take care of myself? I guess I mean emotionally/mentally and physically? I've heard to drink lots of water but honestly I hate water. Right now, it's 10 AM and I'm drinking OJ, just OJ, no vodka Thanks my new friends!
Old 02-21-2011, 07:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi RedHeadJen!

Do you like Crystal Light? I drink lots of that. I really like this Hawaiian Punch by Wyler's. It's got 5 calories a 16 oz water bottle mix and seems to satisfy my taste for something sweet.

Congrats on choosing a new, sober life!

Love,

Lenina
Old 02-21-2011, 07:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I posted that about sleeping poorly when drinking, for those reasons...glad you are sleeping well! It's apparently common to have insomnia when quitting.

I drink tons of water, always have...however I find grapefruit juice (straight up...LOL) nice these days as well. I would suggest multi-vitamins & B-complex too. Despite sleeping well, I've had low energy and a bit more tired than usual...also common, I believe. (Beats hangovers though.)

Exercise if you can! Anything that changes up your routine and replaces "drinking time." I was an afternoon - night after work drinker, so AA meetings have helped me fill in that space when I'm feeling antsy. This morning's exercise is going to be shoveling out my truck and driveway from the 10" of snow we had overnight...
Old 02-21-2011, 07:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Getting some light exercise in important! Try to get a walk in every day if you can.

Love,

Lenina
Old 02-21-2011, 08:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'll try the crystal light idea, sounds good. We just got a new (to us) treadmill that I haven't used because I've been in a drunken depression the last few weeks. Great ideas!!
Old 02-21-2011, 08:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Day 1, I have to stop drinking, I am feeling quite sick and really need all the help I can get. I actually stopped last year for over three months, then fell off the wagon again. I am angry with myself because I didn't have the strength that day to walk away.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

exercise helps my depression greatly...as did stopping the booze.

a healthy diet can't hurt either and with the exercise, if it's been a while since you worked out, start slower and add on a bit every day...visit the fitness forum! visit the gratitude forum!
Old 02-21-2011, 08:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
exercise helps my depression greatly...as did stopping the booze.

a healthy diet can't hurt either and with the exercise, if it's been a while since you worked out, start slower and add on a bit every day...visit the fitness forum! visit the gratitude forum!
I agree 100%. I've been trying to quit for almost 2 years now. And the sobriety I have now is 100 times better than my previous attempts. I can credit diet and exercise to that.. The meetings help as well.. But I think the diet and exercise is the over the top factor for me this time around. I haven't felt this good in 10 years.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Gatorade is good too, along with any other fluids and vitamins. Moderate exercise is good too, it takes up time and makes you feel better all around.

Congrats on three days sober! It's a great start to a better healthier life.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Redheadjen, and Congrats on 3 days!

The best way I took care of myself early in Sobriety was I got myself into a program of recovery like AA and I put my heart and soul and energy into it, I was told to surround myself with recovery and then everything eles will fall in place, I found this to be true.

Stick around, keep reading and posting. Stay Focus