Notices

One month: physical changes.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One month: physical changes.

Four weeks ago today I went to my first AA meeting - not my first attempt at sobriety by a LONG shot but I've noticed some pretty cool physical changes over the last four weeks.

I'm 53, female, and most recently had been drinking to blackout every night, and if I didn't go to work or have something else I absolutely had to do, would start drinking in the afternoon.

The coolest thing: I have two ruptured discs in my lower back. Enough to cause mild discomfort most of the time. While drinking, I rarely got through a night without the ache waking me up, not being able to get comfortable at all. And I was stiff as hell in the mornings. About a week ago I suddenly realised: I've barely noticed my back hurting since I quit drinking. Pretty cool!

Sleeping better: many people complain about insomnia after quitting. It's been the opposite for me. Every night passing out drunk, I woke up every hour or two: needing to pee, dry mouth, aching back, waking in horror trying to remember just what I did while drunk, waking up still drunk. Sober, I sleep like a baby.

Looking younger/better: I'm at that Certain Age. So, yeah...I am not horrified when I look in the mirror first thing in the morning these days. With a puffy, lined face, baggy eyes, bloodshot eyes...ugh. When I looked particularly unlovely I made up excuses about "allergies" to explain looking like crap. These days I look at myself in the mirror and think, huh, still cute! LOL.

Better hygeine! Not that I went out smelling or anything....but being trashed at night meant not brushing teeth, not washing face and doing moisturizer before bed...and in the morning feeling so vile and often running late I'd take a HOT shower so I'd feel less disgusting and paid little attention to how I looked going out the door. These days...well, I am simply better groomed and actually care.

I ate like a pig for the first three weeks. This last week, I've stopped having urges to eat every 30 minutes, so I am confident the little squishy business around my waistline will go away soon.

Tired: Despite sleeping much, much better, my energy is still lower than usual. I'm trying to be better about taking vitamins (esp B vites) and hopefully that will help, along with not eating so many sugary snacks.

For those of you who remember...what physical changes did you notice in early recovery?
Old 02-20-2011, 03:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Hard to pinpoint, I just 'felt better' all over. For me it was mostly emotional: I felt so much happier and 'lighter' like a great weight had been lifted from me. But yeah, the sleep without wine is fine! I used to pass out and wake up in the early morning hours, craving and going thru w/d. That's when I started drinking in the morning, to quell the shakes.

Now I eat better, sleep better, and feel younger than I am.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm...
The first physical improvement I noticed was my eyes
they were clear and sparkly again...not Visine glassy.
I got a new hair color and cut...started to wear brighter colors.

The first mental improvement was the lifting of my depression.
Next came back the ability to work newspaper crosswords...and finish.

I can't think of anything that did not improve
I was back in balance by the end of 2 months of AA recovery
Old 02-20-2011, 04:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Stevie,

I'm glad to hear being 4 weeks in finds you well! I'm only on day 15, but it's my longest record in years, and I already have noticed some encouraging physical changes. I'm sleeping better (did I ever have such vivid dreams before?), don't feeling bloated all the time, I'm eating healthier instead of binge-eating on junk food, my face and eyes are clearer and less puffy, no abdominal pains...I'm also drinking a lot of water and taking vitamins again.

Overall I just feel better, like my body and mind are finally back on the same team again after years of rivalry.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Today I am now 2-weeks sober. Other than a 60 day stretch over two years ago, I have been a daily heavy drinker for at least the last 20 years, troubled with alcohol since adolescence. I'm 42.

I sleep a lot now. The first week I was tired all the time. In a good way though, I've been getting good sleep every night now.

My mind feels clear now as though a fog has been lifted. I lost so much time of my life in near total blackouts.

I've lost 10lbs. Now that I'm not drinking I've have probably cut out at least 1000 calories per day (twice that much on weekends). I am eating healthier too.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations justdave and Badlove!

Googling "health effects of alcoholism" and related terms will put a scare into you...it did me, anyway.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Stevie,

In one month I mainly noticed my sallow skin and deathly pale appearance was getting pinker (I am a red head). My peeling skin started to clear up and my skin is now lovely and soft. I still wasn't sleeping well at all but was still much better equipped for life not being stoned hungover and drunk ! I sleep great now at 9 months though
Old 02-21-2011, 06:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

And by the way Stevie forgot to say congrats for your 4 weeks
Old 02-21-2011, 11:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your four weeks Stevie and thanks for the cool post.
Three unforgettable changes. 1. Like Carol, the lifting of depression. 2. The tremor in my hand went from 8 on the Richter Scale down to zero, so now I can hold a cup of tea without fear and loathing (although I didn't do too much tea drinking as an active alcoholic!). 3. I can sit quietly in a quiet place for one hour, whereas before I could not focus my mind on one place or one thing properly for one second. 4. The internal changes: BP from 140/90 down to normal, breathing easier, mind definitely in a better space.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Lost about 10 pounds....and gained a life again.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on your four weeks Stevie. I'm right there with you to the day and
remember you reaching out to me on that first day. I'm so grateful to you for that. I'm 54 just turned on THAT day that I came to from a black out and in jail. God I was a mess.

The changes have been awesome. Like you, being at that certain age...I would look in the mirror and cringe at what I saw. Excuses about allergy flair ups and sinus infections to explain my red bloated face, multiple bags and dark circles under my eyes were the norm for me on a daily basis.

My eyes are now clear, someone mentioned the other day that they sparkled and asked if I had gotten colored contact lens...lol, ummm no.

My face is no longer splotchy and beet red. My complexion is better. I am able to put on makeup without a shaking hand so I no longer look like a clown
when I go to work.

My hair is much softer and even thicker. It doesn't feel like dried out straw anymore.

I also take more care in what I put on to wear each day even including earrings lately. See shaking above. I couldn't find the holes in my ears before or put on the earring backs so I didn't bother.

Haven't weighed myself, but lost a lot of bloat and I'm sure a few pounds as I'm much more comfortable in my clothing. I couldn't stand the way the clothes felt on my body and would strip into disgusting sweats every chance I got.

Still bothered by insomnia a lot. That is something I have always suffered with though since I was a child, so this may be as good as it gets. That's ok
cuz it is a small price to pay for not feeling hungover and sick 24/7.

I am getting to know myself and actually like me once in awhile. My humor is coming back and I laugh because I find things funny, not because I'm faking it and trying to "act normal" and like everybody else around me.

Long, long way to go but I can definitely see the positive changes and it motivates me to continue. Now if I would have read your post in the first week I wouldn't have believed any of this was possible. I was convinced that my life was over and I would feel and look horrible for the remainder of it no matter what happened in my sobriety.

Thanks so much for this thread. Gosh, this post is long...guess I needed to share.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

like everyone else, better skin coloring, better eyesight, less redness, better health, less aches (less inflammation).

sleep is wonderful, real restful sleep. no dehydration, less junk food, much better diet. I wish i could say the weight is falling off...but I need to get more exercise....I have slacked off.

I will say that I used to drink about 8-10 glasses of wine every day..which i believe translated to 1500-2000 extra calories..empty alcohol calories...my HTN is greatly improved along with my blood glucose...it stopped climbing.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks you guys!

SereniTee...I'm a redhead too...although these days it comes out of a bottle, LOL. I haven't seen much of my present hair color in years. I suspect it's mostly grey now but I'm too vain to let it grow and find out for sure.

AWOL...I am working on that sitting still/meditation thing. Thank you for the reminder.

Jabba - good for you! I think I gained 10 lbs in the first couple-three weeks because I was craving sugar so badly but those urges have calmed down. I think I'm back on track with eating properly (and less frequently) again.

mtn - earrings! God yes. I am wearing earrings again! We've come a long way, baby (I know you remember that ad)...I'm wearing mascara again these days. When my eyes were bloodshot often from drinking, mascara irritated them.

You know what, I don't really care that some of my happiness about physical changes are cosmetic or vain ones. I'm not a vain person (not hardly, actually), but during my recent months of heavy drinking and depression I pretty much stopped caring what I looked like. So this feels good.

Fandy - the less aches and irritation thing...I can't figure out what it was about drinking that made my back ache more but it's absolutely stopped bothering me since I quit.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

I'm a male in my mid-30s and I went from a puffy 185 to a lean 155 - 160 very quickly. ...and since I'm not drinking I've actually been able to keep to a workout program and I'm building muscle again (P90X).

My blood pressure also became normal again and I sleep much, much better. Back pains have decreased (thinking about all the passing out in weird places and with strage people) and I don't take nearly as much advil

The tips of my ears are no longer red and burning.

Even though I've been sober for over a year and it's getting better, I still suffer from P.A.W.S., but I'm waiting it out.

Kjell
Old 02-21-2011, 01:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I wish we could take before and after pictures. The physical difference between what a person looked like when they first walked in the doors (hell comes to mind) and after a year's sobriety is amazing. And if they're working the program? Then we get to see the personality change, the spiritual awakening, too. Stuff like that keeps me sober - watching the miracle happen to others.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joedris View Post
I wish we could take before and after pictures. The physical difference between what a person looked like when they first walked in the doors (hell comes to mind) and after a year's sobriety is amazing..
I was at a meeting last week, and a woman had just gotten her year in...several people were commenting about how she seemed like a hopeless case when she first walked in the door, and she had such a beautiful, clear smile, I felt so happy for her!

I dragged in a little over a month ago massively hung over, red-eyed, weepy, wearing plastic clogs my puppy had chewed on, sweats and shaky as hell. Pretty sure I would have punched anyone who took my photo that afternoon, but I sure as hell feel better now.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

congratualtions on four weeks!
I do not have that experience yet... the longest I've gone is three weeks before relapsing (I'm struggling on day 4 again here)
but I just wanted to say thank you for the inspirational post. I was a second away from picking up that drink again, and logged on here instead, read your post and am holding strong again! I can't wait to look and feel healthy once more
One thing I have noticed on only day four is that my eyes are sparkling white again... no more bloodshot red all the time. yay!
Old 02-21-2011, 03:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hang tough, hollybear!
Old 02-21-2011, 04:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks Everyone Read all of them

Embarrassing to say, this is Day 1 for me, I was sober over three months, then work pressure got the best of me. I am determined this time. Yes, I experienced many of the things you are talking about, losing the shakes, cold sweats, red iritated eyes, my apetite was back, I was tasting food again. I did experience the craving for sugar and carbs, that was difficult to control.

Today I passed the day in my house, in pajamas, and drinking ice water, just resting and reading posts and signing up for several sites. I am tired, but when I do fall asleep I jerk and wake myself up, so I know it is going to be rough for awhile.

I remember when I was sober, it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, just the first three days, then I realized I was starting to feel good on day 4. Hopefully that will happen again and I can get through these first three days and get on track.

Not sure I am posting this reply correctly.

Take Care
Time2
Old 02-21-2011, 09:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

So far I have lost 15 lbs, I am in bed at an early hour almost every night and sleep great. I wake up with the sun, and don't have the terrible dry and coated mouth/bad breath or the red eyes. I am healthier than I have been in over 20 years.

They biggest positive I am noticing is I am spot on when thinking and speaking which I do for a living in sales. I feel mentally sharp. I am super confident, and I just think so much clearer. Great ideas are coming easier, and I am remembering things easier, especially names. I really didn't realize how dumb/unfocused/absent minded I became over my drinking years. And although I have always been super opinionated, I am willing to listen more even when I don't agree. I'm also no longer depressed, and much happier as a person and with life in general. I am also motivated to do better.