Notices

One month: physical changes.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:17 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome T2Q!! you are fine in posting and will find lots of support here.

hope you are on day 2.

another thing i noticed is that it is much easier to bend over because there is noticibly less abdominal bloating....

I think that physical changes in sobriety can be very subtle too, but if you take a picture every couple of weeks you can better see the difference. I used to be constantly dehydrated, cracked lips and dry dry eyes....instead of pouring wine down my throat every day, i pour 3 quarts of herbal tea (mixed with a little fruit juice) and water....quite a difference, even my eyesight is better and less headaches from eye strain.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:54 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

i can relate to the back problems, mine is so much better though without the booze as is most of my other organs too, i should imagine,
congrats on your sober time , i 'm sober since Jan , so the toxins are gradually leaving, i looked in the mirror the other day and was shocked, my eyes were actually sparkly!! i was so used to seeing them looking 'dead' if you know what i mean,
btw , i love your avatar, i find my eyes being drawn to it ,lol
Old 02-22-2011, 09:38 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

i took a picture with my phone in my bathroom...no one but ME gets to see it. frightening!

I watched the show Intervention last evening. I noticed the woman subject was puffy, bloated, hair falling out, a mess. that could have been me last year.

I remember vividly, at 3 weeks sober, my colleague/assistant in the office told me there was such a CHANGE in me...both physically and mentally...("you talk to people now"). He was the first person I told that I stopped drinking. I could not have been happier with the compliment than if someone handed me $100.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome, Time2! You posted just fine...

Juli, good on ya, and yes I've noticed the sparkly eye thing too.

(I still hate having my photo taken though...)
Old 02-22-2011, 02:25 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Congrats on 4 months!

I have a photo of myself from 3 months before getting sober...every time I look at it I cringe...thing is I actually made an effort that day...yikes!

The first month I was tired all the time...first 3 months sick all the time....only then did I start to notice changes. Every day is an improvement now.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:20 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I like this thread Stevie....i think it gives hope to everybody who keeps trying. I find it motivating....feeling better and looking healthy, we are winning.

thanks!
Old 02-23-2011, 10:37 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Like everyone else said - my face, my skin looks a world better! The coloring, the texture, the lines, etc...my BF said I look 20 years younger or that I got a facelift, lol!
I got ID`s for CIGARETTES a few weeks ago and I`m 46, lol! Plus I am taking so much better care of my teeth, skin, hair etc not passing out drunk everynight - I take the time to moisturize, cleanse, brush/floss teeth, condition hair, shave, pluck eyebrows, put self tanner on, makeup etc etc...drink tons of water and take vitamins and eat a ton of fruit, too.

This is all just after only like a month! It can only get better, right?
Old 02-23-2011, 03:41 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I LOVE this thread! I'm only a couple of days into sobriety and it's really cheered me up to read about all the positive things you all have experienced. Looking forward to having them happen to me, please God!

Thanks for sharing everyone!
Old 02-23-2011, 03:44 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

the longer you stay healthy, take care of yourself instead of damaging your body will eventually show up physically....it's the comments/compliments from people who don't know i had a problem that show me how obvious it was.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:37 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I'm on day 24 today.

The positives are that my skin is so much better, I have an appetite now, I am more proactive, I feel calmer (nobody in my life knows or knew I drank daily for 3 and a half years), I am friendlier and more talkative.

The negetives I face are that I am suffering from anxiety, I had never been diagnosed before with a mental condition. Maybe I brought it on from drinking or perhaps drinking brought on an early onset of it. I have yet to be diagnosed but Im smart and know that this level of anxiety at this stage wouldnt be due from purely alcohol. Insomnia is a tough one, Some nights I get 2 hours some nights I get 6 but it all seems to cycle, where one night I dont get much sleep but the next I get a bit more because my body is tired from lack of sleep the night prior. I usually wake up 3-4 times a night as well.

The good news is I have no urge to pick up the bottle, never have. I am taking very good care of myself. I am eating 2-3 servings of vegetables/fruit (I never once bought fresh fruit or vegetables during the 3 and a half years I drank). I completely cut out caffeine and soda, I work out 5-6 times a week, and I have a regular bedtime. I set to sleep at 12 and wake up at 830. Not that I ever get 8 hrs of sleep LOL but thats beside the point.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:34 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Way to go, StayTrue!

I think if I tried to give up alcohol and coffee at the same time I would have gone crazy. Anxiety and drinking seem to be a really common combination...I do think that drinking is a way for many of us to avoid or mask other issues in our lives. I've never had an issue with anxiety, but sure drank for other (diagnosed) mental cootie reasons and also deliberately to ecape from some pretty sucky life situations over the last few years.

I haven't had a problem with insomnia. But last night I came home from work, took care of the dogs and was so exhausted that I fell asleep at 8 pm or so, but slept fitfully, reading in bed and drifting in and out of dozing. I don't have a clock in the bedroom (weird, I know) so when the dogs got restless and started circling the bed, I got up, made coffee, fed dogs, fed cats, stretched, grabbed a cup of coffee, sat down at the 'puter....

...and realised it was only 3:30 am.

On the other hand I feel like I've been gifted with an extra several hours today so it's all good.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:31 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

you might want to try one of the "relaxing teas" in the evening...and take your calcium supplement at that time...and one of my "go-to" sleep helpers is a small dish of vanilla ice cream...if i also have turkey for dinner, i am sure to be asleep for 6-7 hours that night.

I was thinking that another physical change I remember early on was so much less water retention...and lower blood pressure, my HTN meds are now 1/2 of what they were a year ago...and if I eat properly with lower sodium, my body does not hang onto fluids...no more puffy fingers, ankles, i can see my cheekbones instead of a red full moon face.

if i eat asparagus and cucumbers, i can be in the bathroom 10X, LOL

I have a lot more natural energy...i just do morning full octane coffee, then switch to decaff tea at work.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Well, still butt-ugly.

Seriously, I think i've lost a bit of weight and put on some muscle in my arms and chest. The effort I put in at the gym actually seems to be having an effect now.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:24 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

it makes perfect sense, that you are no longer putting empty sugar alcohol calories in your body, you've replaced it with real fresh food, your muscles are being used for something beside picking up the glass. i think that it is natural to be more active when you are sober, you don't just sit on your a$$.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:41 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
it makes perfect sense, that you are no longer putting empty sugar alcohol calories in your body, you've replaced it with real fresh food, your muscles are being used for something beside picking up the glass. i think that it is natural to be more active when you are sober, you don't just sit on your a$$.
True, i'm capable of a decent workout now. Less fatigue more energy and it no longer seems like just another worthless chore in the way of getting wasted.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:29 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I gained 20 lbs in my first sober week. I was a little peeved that none of my clothes fit, but really, I felt so much better I didn't mind my... expansion.

My looks and self-esteem got so much better.

I sleep better now. I take melatonin at night, and it helps a lot, whereas nothing could get me to sleep while I was drinking/using and I constantly pulled all-nighters where I would browse the internet, SO bored and SO tired, but I could not sleep. I was never a blackout drinker, but I drank myself sick pretty often, and couldn't even close my eyes because I'd get dizzy and sick.

Still lacking energy. Alcohol didn't really give me energy, it just made me care less about having no energy, lol! So now I am feeling that, but I know it will pass if I start taking better care of myself.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:53 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

bump this thread for everybody. hope you are all feeling well.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:52 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Thanks, Fandy. Good to have a thread for all this skin-deep stuff—we have plenty of existential pondering elsewhere on SR!

I just bought some new jeans yesterday. Back to the same size I wore in my 20s (and that was 20 year years ago). Superficial, I know, but makes me feel like a million bucks to be able to toss out all my "dad jeans"!