Notices

Charlie Sheen - sober is boring

Old 02-20-2011, 06:53 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Sober is boring?, ha!
:rotfxko:rotfxko:rotfxko:rotfxko:rotfxko
Old 02-20-2011, 07:07 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yea, I took a look at some of those news reports... Charlie Sheen is an alcoholic and a moron... simple as that.

Sobriety is not boring if you choose not to make it that way... I like what BadCompany said about getting outside one's comfort zone... funny thing when one does that, growth happens. Can't say that about getting wasted.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Given the mess Sheen is living in, I'd be hard pressed to take anything he says seriously.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:21 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I think the saddest thing is the example he is setting for his little kids...
Denise Richards struggling to help daughters 'comprehend' Charlie Sheen's problems : SFGate: Daily Dish

GG
Old 02-20-2011, 08:48 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

When I decided to go out for the night to drink/drug, I had this notion that I have not reached something, something that I missed at school or something that I missed while growing up and I felt left out. So I "ventured out" in my own mind, thinking I could "handle it", living drunk and stoned and not "falling over", loud music, "Mr Kewl" etc etc. It's actually labled as "Twisted Glamour", in other words we THINK we are our idol's personality cos we listen to that "mick jaggerrrr" music and wear all sorts of clothes we cannot REALLY afford or fit right, but we "must". That is "twisted glamour".

Oh yeah, I fell over many many times and each time I would try again the next time I went out and I would try to "do it better" and not get caught out, sort of like a cat and mouse game of " you don't really know me" type of thing and put up a barrier.

But the reality is, they knew. In fact, I was the "entertainer", the one to suit everyone elses alibi at the time while they were getting away with it then when I am out of the scene, there will always be another "fall guy".

Ya see, I made the most noise. I got locked up, everyone talked about it and my ego said, "yeahhhh, they are talking about meeeee"!, I looked "unwell", yet well enough to stand, and I could escape into a taxi by naming excuses, "I need to go do rada rada" just to make myself look "important" by firmly shutting the door of the taxi, I'm "important", I can do that.The list goes on and on, as long as I made sure every one talked about it.
I'm the man!! yeah, way kewl, I got drunk, smashed chairs, punched mirrors, bent street signs, flicked my cig butts, smoked joints in public, oh yeah, I'm
:rotfxko
the man.....

Ya see, we know all or most of the tricks, and most know where the book of mad mind tricks ends. Even denial does not pass us, we know, cos we been there. And it gets soooo boring looking for new and "unique" tricks to play cos everyone stopped TALKING ABOUT ME :rotfxko:rotfxko

It get's so long and winded, when one is blessed to survive and come to realise they have forgoton or it is not part of the real game of life, admit defeat or the only transparent card left is humiliation, cos one finaly realises that "out there" has a brick wall that was never really there in the first place, then the idea of NOT picking up a drink or a substance ain't such a bad idea after all. Every one is still talking about it, gotta prove them wrong yet again, yep sure do, one day at a time, I'm sober, I'm the man! :rotfxko
Old 02-20-2011, 09:09 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Ironically, I was just watching Mr. Sheen's show and they each poured themselves a glass of vodka. Not a shot -a GLASS! With his trial and tribulations I wonder if it was just water -or the real thing.
Well, to quote Shania Twain...He don't impress me much!

24 days 23 hours 8 minutes sober
Old 02-20-2011, 09:49 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Ch5 HOW

to me, it's painful watching the Charlie Sheen chronicles--watching him, for me, is like watching the same people i see in meetings in that revolving door--which is so hard to get out of--and which I was in--so i am quick not to judge him....

i hope he can find a way out.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:49 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
where the light is

Just my own thought: If you're bored with sobriety you're still romanticizing drinking.

I can't drink. So what? It's no big effin' deal! Check out a bar and look at all the really hammered people - I never want to do that again. Ever.

Get out there and get a life!
Old 02-21-2011, 02:42 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

When I first read this story, honestly I laughed. I knew what he was talking about. When I was in AA, all me and other newbies talked about was how boring being sober was. The results were great, but the long nights, daily meetings, meditation..no thanks.

My perspective has changed so much since then and I appreciate the program. But in the early days, we need to remember that it was boring, especially since you still have the old life. Even though he has been through rehab before, you still start over.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:29 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I actually just watched that show for the first time last weekend. It does seem to celebrate him being an eff up.

I never read where he said sobriety is boring, but it is pretty freaky if you can have rehab at your house. Hopefully he will embrace recovery for the sake of himself and his family.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:54 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I loved Charlie in Wall Street.
Sadly Charlie is the poster boy for alcohol deterioration.
He does not act in Two and a Half Men. That is him.
Props need to be moved to his mark so he has "something to lean on..."
Truly sad, a wasted talent, a wasted life.

Ironically enough I now find him and his show boring.
I wish he would listen to his sober coach. I hope sobriety finds him.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:00 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

**** Charlie Sheen.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:10 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Certain things are way more boring when you are straight. You can't go from traveling at light speed to a pedestrian saunter and not say it is boring. People often find ways to "re-frame" the situation and convince themselves that the "norm" is as good, if not better than, the "high" version. I don't fall into that category, I know that my life was way more exciting during the "powder years", more exciting on every front, more exciting than it will be again. I will remember the good times from that period, not the bad, I can't return to them though :/

Maybe to someone who hasn't experienced "life in the fast lane", normal life and its inherent pleasures seems exciting, but for me, who lives for on the edge loving "pushing the envelope" experiences, it holds little excitement. It is what it is. A dulled down, slower version of what I used to live.

disclaimer: this is my personal opinion in response to the OP, in now way am I suggesting that one should embark on a drug career as to enjoy life more.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:27 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I was far more boring when I drank...that's all I did
Old 02-22-2011, 03:50 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Okay, Charlie, trashing a NYC hotel and scaring the crap out of some stripper in a closet sounds like a blast.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:17 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I have to say, although I feel sorry for him on some level, watching this unfold has been a great reminder as to why I'm happy to be sober. I could easily have kept drinking until I started embarassing myself publicly in ways that may have been difficult to forget. I'm very grateful that I found sobriety before that happened.

Charlie Sheen Calls CBS Bosses 'Nazis'
Old 02-25-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Once upon a time I thought sobriety was boring, but that was only because I couldn't stand the thought of being alone with myself. It wasn't sobriety that was boring - it was the possibility that I was.

A lot of alcoholics think they can't "have fun" or that others will find them boring if they are not buzzed. I've found it a pretty common attitude among problem drinkers.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:57 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Its good some of us still remember what it was like in the early days. I was pretty schocked when I read people saying things like who cares and F Sheen all I know is when an alcoholic any alcoholic reaches out I want the hand of AA to be there like it was for all of us.

As far as the boring topic when I first came in i was used to living a life full of drama and always running& gunning so of course it seemed boring.

Today I will take a night home on a Friday or Sat and am garetful for the peace.

He is just newly sober hopefully he doesn't put to much power into all of that, he has bigger mountains to climb.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:25 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

My life is far, far MORE fun now that I'm sober. All the things I like doing I can do without being impaired or hung over.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:03 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by myheadhurts View Post

Maybe to someone who hasn't experienced "life in the fast lane", normal life and its inherent pleasures seems exciting, but for me, who lives for on the edge loving "pushing the envelope" experiences, it holds little excitement. It is what it is. A dulled down, slower version of what I used to live.
I really get that myhead, really do... and can easily fall into that mode of thought... Maybe the whole dopamine thing...

I am curious though, maybe I missed something along the way, in those inherent pleasures of normal life...