Notices

Cravings; Holidays and Birthdays

Old 02-19-2011, 12:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cravings; Holidays and Birthdays

Hello everyone,

I am about to reach 1 year sober (Mar. 1st) for the first time... I have been in and out of 12 step programs for the past three years or so and have successfully beat/controlled my methamphetamine and benzodiazepine addictions for over 2 years now... It's unfortunate, that I can't seem to rid myself of this beast of alcohol....

I guess life has just been a little too peachy until recently, because as soon as problems started developing in my life, my body automatically starts finding reasons to drink. I haven't had cravings this bad since Detoxing... I also celebrate an actual birthday on the 13th of March...

I guess I'm just really worried that I'm going to be able to convince myself that I can drink in moderation... or that I can just drink this one time for my birthday, etc.

Just curious how everyone else gets through the special occasions and/or the cravings... I generally just remind myself of the misery that my life was when I was in active addiction... but as time goes on, the memories fade further and further away.

Thanks for the help and a place to vent.
IP
Old 02-19-2011, 12:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have been sober 7 weeks and i have those thoughts as well. god knows what they will be like after a year.
Have you woken up and regreted that you didnt drink during the last year?

This thought has helped me with my staying sober.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations and welcome, IP!

In the way distant past, I spent quite a few years doing a lot of drugs, including pretty hard drugs like heroin, coke, acid, PCP...but the only thing I ever got addicted to was alcohol and nicotine...the legal ones. Go figure.

You know the answer - you cannot drink on your birthday. You'll feel like crap and not at all peachy the morning after and you know it. I know exactly what you mean about feeling good and defenses going down...happened to me over and over.

I'm not the best role model, with not even 30 days of sobriety currently. In past sober periods, I would offer to be designated driver for special occasions. Because I knew I would be accountable and would stay clean and sober for the night...worked for me and I managed to have a good time without getting trashed. (Actually I recall being exasperated and annoyed with the carload of hooting drunks I had to drive around, or take home...that was pretty good therapy, actually.)
Old 02-19-2011, 12:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't get cravings to drink very much any more but if I do I can come here and read the newcomers' posts about the trouble they're having with alcohol. That helps remind me of why I don't want to drink. If/when you get cravings, help another drunk. Oh, and be grateful for your blessings. Gratitude has replaced my desire to drink.

Welcome to the best recovery site everywhere.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Most experienced sober people say having a plan ahead of time is the key. What you intend to drink, what you'll say if somebody offers you alcohol, what to do if you get stressed out, an escape plan, etc. None of it may be used, but preparation seems to be the key.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses everyone...

I do know that I cannot drink on my birthday if I want to maintain my sobriety... I just wish I could make a strict drinking schedule like only on my birthday and new years eve... (I actually WISH I could just drink socially or stop at one or two drinks... but I know damned well that just isn't the case. :P) The most straight sober time I've had before this was 8 months... (When I got clean of my meth addiction... but I just swapped addictions leading to my alcoholism). I guess I just don't have that rock-bottom memory that I have for meth that keeps me away from it... I don't even ever want to see the **** again!

I think part of the problem may just be how glorified alcohol is within our culture. I can't go anywhere without seeing advertisements or be subjected to seeing other people drink casually all around me. I KNOW better than to drink on my birthday... but I am having a hard time fighting off my "rationalizing" when it is appropriate to drink...

I realize that my life is going so wonderful right now (for the most part.) I don't have any major problems and things are all going swell other than usual life related ********... I guess that's something I couldn't say when I was drinking...

Still kind of rambling on the matter... but I do feel like getting some of my thoughts out of my head may help me to see the flaws in my logic...

Cheers!
Old 02-19-2011, 05:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our Alcoholism forum...

Count the sober birthdays/holidays you have enjoyed as a kid.
Perhaps that is a good way to remember ....
drinking is not necessary to celebrate...

Well done on your progress..
Old 02-19-2011, 10:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I agree with what least said: come here and read until you "remember" why you want to stay sober. Your birthday will come and go - it's only one day - but if you succumb to your desire to get drunk or high, it will haunt you for days or weeks and you'll wonder why you did it.

Of course, it could set you up for drinking again.... - If you're going to justify it on your birthday, how are you going to say no at the next party/wedding/holiday/weekend????

Don't listen to that voice - it's insane.