Notices

I think I am going Ga Ga

Old 02-16-2011, 05:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I think I am going Ga Ga

Trying to remain calm but in three days I will have to front court for my second DUI charge and it is starting to really take control over me. I mean my anxiety is out of control and I keep on looking for reassurances but not getting many. This is the last mayor one of my skrew ups that I did during my last relapse that I need to close a door on but it is also a very scary one. I know there will be more ups and downs to come in my life but they will be new ones I will face sober and they will not be a product of my addiction. I don't know I so much wish I could just send me solicitor on my behalf....why do I have to be there.......
Old 02-16-2011, 05:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know exactly how you feel, it's sure nerve racking for sure going in front of that judge. The consequences are looming, don't let them get any worse, quit this thing already! You will be in my prayers. Take it a day at a time.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Try to think of it as in 3 days it'll be done

I hope you get a fair result - but you've done everything right since then, right? so there's really no reason why you shouldn't

We'll all be with you Sidney

D
Old 02-16-2011, 05:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am in the same situation.. I have court next week for a different charge, but it carries the same seriousness. Unfortunately we still have to pay for the things we did when we were drinking, even if we are sober today. I wish the best of luck to you.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

You can't just send your solicitor because he or she isn't the one who was driving drunk.

You can face this, and come out the better for it. This can be the last screwup you ever have because of your drinking.

Hugs, keep the faith,
Old 02-16-2011, 06:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Been in that hot seat twice. Been to jail for a week. Listen closely to what I tell you. Jail was a picnic, a country club vacation. I don't give a crap about jail and neither will you when this is over. You will be in there sleeping as much as you want, watching american idol, eating 3 squares a day and playing cards. Maybe you are different from me. Maybe the risk of jail will keep you sober. I really doubt it. When this is all over you will stand at the same fork in the road. It was only when I accepted that my actions hurt everyone I love that I was able to change. I didn't give a crap about jail. I didn't give a crap about myself. The only thing that made sense to me was I didn't want to feel this way anymore and I didn't want to hurt the people around me. Once I accepted the finality of that, the utter certainty that if I kept drinking it was not just me who would drown, but part of everyone around me, only then was I able to stop drinking and take responsibility for my actions and control of my life. I wish you the best. I hope that the things going on in your life will be the miracle that will spark the revolution in your mind. Its your life and your choice.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Hi Sid-

I've been there too (as you know).

I remember actually smiling when I was checked into jail after my arraignment and the cop lady who was taking my picture told me to stop smiling, but I couldn't, and I got my picture taken with this little smirk.

I was smiling b/c on my other two trips to jail (the actual arrests of the two duis), I was so blacked out and drunk, I didn't really even know where I was and I was confused (and scared) as heck.

...but this time, I'd been sober for over a year and recovered through AA. I was a different person and I wasn't confused about myself, about life, or about why I was in jail this time. I knew what was going on.

If you've put the work in and are a recovered alcoholic, then hold your head up high and take care of this small part of your life.

You know I haven't had one blackout or another DUI since I quit drinking? Go figure!

Kjell
Old 02-16-2011, 07:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

We will be thinking of you Sid. Check in when you can and let us know how you are.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Get the facts. Find out what the probable sentence will be so you will be prepared for it. Find out if there are alternatives to jail time (like we have community service or the work crew here) and find out if you are allowed to choose the alternative. If it looks like jail time is immenent then find out which jail it will be and research a little on it to become familiar so you arent going in totally blind. Find out if there are alternatives to pleading guilty or not guilty ( where i live we can choose an option called deferred prosecution, but only on the first DUI.)

The more you know about what will happen the more assured you will be. And try not to worry about court. As I recall all I did was sit there, my defender did all the work.

Best of luck
Old 02-16-2011, 10:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Sidney14...welcome.

Everything will work out as it should. My lawyer was honest the last time around which helped me get out of a pretty sticky situation. He informed the judge that I was an alcoholic and was seeking treatment for my disease. I got 5 years probation -which only lasted 2.5 years for good behavior- and a stiff fine -1500 dollars...ouch. So hang in there and good luck.

One last thing...which I learned from my 3rd of 4 DWI's and that is this.
Don't **** off the judge like I did.

This is what happened:

The judge informed me, at the time, that I was an alcoholic and I needed help. I wondered why he thought that way? So... I asked him. This wasn't such a good idea. He said "it was because I keep showing up in his courtroom for the same alcohol related offenses" that's why. So I said and I quote:

"It's not my problem that He couldn't get elected to a higher office".

You can just imagine his reaction and my lawyers as well. His verdict, let’s say, was more than just a fine. Food for thought...Good Luck and God Bless.

Can you say "what a Jerk"

p.s. Maybe you should have your lawyer do all the talking. Just a suggestion.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd just like to remind everyone Sidney is Australian.

While there are lots of common elements the British/Australian system is a little different to the US.

D
Old 02-17-2011, 02:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for all of your support.......... I am just driving myself insane I guess,,,,, for now worst case scenario according to my solicitor is that we would appeal it worst comes to worst.........but yes all of this has kept me sober but i am also sober because I can't do this anymore I reached my rockbottom during my last relapse........and to be honest I would not want to live through a next one....so I am also on Antibuse for the last four and a bit months........
Old 02-17-2011, 04:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It amazes me that when we have to face consequences for our actions we all of a sudden start to give a damn what happens to us. But when we were drinkin we could care less. Just sayin...
Old 02-17-2011, 05:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sidney, glad you are here and sharing. I wish you well on your court date and I think whatever the outcome is that you will put this piece of your life behind you.

Way to go on your hard work and sobriety. Just know that this will pass and as others shared.....you never have to go through this again.

Stay the course.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Praying helps me keep in balance...regardless of the situation.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I fail to see how jail helped me in anyway. I spent a few weeks in one of the most overcrowded & violent jails in the country. It scared me straight for a few months, however, I was soon back at it.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
I fail to see how jail helped me in anyway. I spent a few weeks in one of the most overcrowded & violent jails in the country. It scared me straight for a few months, however, I was soon back at it.
In my opinion, yes jail is there to punish the criminal, but it's also there to remove the criminal from society in order to minimize the possibility of the criminal harming society further.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Someone mention Jail? I feel incarceration can be very helpful to recovery. But I am biased. Just sayin...
Old 02-17-2011, 09:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

Jail or prison, does it help? It depends on the individual. Many violators will re-offend within months of release. Prisons are not rehabs and many of them are not equipped to help addicts/alcoholics. Common sense would say that going to jail/prison would be enough to stop us from using. However, addiction is not know for its sense and rationale abilities.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

TO be honest I do not think I will go to jail but will be left with losing my license for a long time and get a good behaviour bond and I guess community service..............Thank you for all your input I am not trying to feel sorry for myself since I brought it upon myself, but I do need to get my feelings out otherwise I will go back to where I was before........Thank you so much.