Notices

Trying to quit!

Old 02-12-2011, 10:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to quit!

Hello!

Today is my first day not heavy drinking, i know its not like im completely stopping but it is a start! its an improvement from 15 beers a day to 6 a day yes? i cannot quit cold turkey i thank the lord i have been able to slow down over the past few month because i am experiencing some alarming physical symtoms from drinking such as sever de-hydration and weakness and vommiting i need to stop completely, i have depression and anxiety, alcohol has cured this but it is hurting me at the same time, i need help, i see from reading posts what a supportive community this is and thats why i chose to post here i feel better just admitting i have a problem it feels good if anyone can offer help/support it is greatly appriciated, thank you all!
Old 02-12-2011, 11:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome to the forum MaureenBeer - Admitting we have a problem and reaching out for help is the first step - so good for you!

I didn't have much luck cutting down, so I decided I had to stop. If we could moderate our drinking, we probably wouldn't end up here...... Have you ever thought about getting help with detox?

I hope you stick around - it's a great community and we all need support to take this journey called sobriety.

You can get your life back, too.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Maureen

Welcome to SR

Have you thought about seeing a Dr?

I think it's a good idea to have some medical supervision with detox - some people are ok, but others can have real problems - and we can never tell beforehand who is who.

If you've been sick in the past, I really hope you consider seeing someone.
I think it's a far better alternative than trying to wean ourselves off.

I know you'll find lot of support here
D
Old 02-13-2011, 12:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ugh! I hated that playing count the beer bottles life.

I can so relate. Do I buy the 12 pack, nah, what if that won't be enough, I must have enough supply, better get the 18 pack, what about the 20 pack, that's better. What about the 30 pack, that's a better deal.

One, two, three, another, another, another...count them, around 6, 7 or 8, yup, I drank 10, 11, 12, some nights, morning wake and realize I had drank around 14, and yes sometimes as many as 20 on an all night binge.

I don't think it is normal for people to drink 15 beers, even try to keep it to only 6.

The problem is the first beer.

Don't take the first beer. Don't buy the beer, don't drink the beer.

Oh my God, how much better life is without that beer.

Believe me.

Also, whenever I would realize that I was drinking to many beers, I would continue to buy beer but promise myself that I would cut back, cut down to a "reasonable" amount of drinking! Hah!

I would end up drinking too much again, and again. Buy beer, drink beer, run out, back to store, drink beer, run out, back to store...wake with headaches, hangovers, wasting my money, feeling terrible...for what?

The relief I though I needed from a bottle of beer. Who am I kidding, it was never one!

What are we doing when we drink that much? We are trying to feel different. Why are we trying to feel different. Why do we like that effect from the alcohol? What is it doing for us?

What is it doing to us?

I think we both know.

I am glad that you realize that it is a problem. I wish you all the best in being able to stop this cycle.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, Maureen!

I think you will probably find that trying to "control" drinking does not work in the long run for alcoholics. I think it's great that you are admitting to your problem and taking steps, so good for you.

Being drunk doesn't cure depression, anxiety or other mental illnesses. It can be effective in masking them but over time drinking/using creates many more problems than it solves. Many alcoholics also have mental issues and turn to alcohol or drugs in an attempt to "self medicate", it's quite common, I think.

I agree with Dee...I think it would be a good idea to talk to a doctor, both for help with detox and quitting, and possibly for meds to help with depression and anxiety. I am bipolar and get severely depressed at times; without meds I often have trouble functioning well; but without meds and with drinking, my life is pretty much unmanageable.

Please keep reading and posting here!
Old 02-13-2011, 03:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family from a fellow buckeye! I too suggest you see a doctor for help in getting safely thru the withdrawals as w/d can be dangerous. And I tried too many times to count to 'cut down' but always ended up drinking too much and right back to my daily habit. Ugh. Medical help to get safely and comfortably thru the w/d is advised. Be safe while getting sober.

I drank to 'medicate' my depression and anxiety too but drinking just made everything much worse. Now that I'm sober over a year my depression and anxiety is tolerable and my meds for it work as they should.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

My long term depression was finally diagnosed as situational
My doctor also told me alcohol was a depressant. ..
He suggested I totally abstain....and try AA.

I was not thrilled at either idea....but I was willing to
do anything to throw off the cold dark cloud.

Rather quickly....my depression began lifting...it had vanished
by the end of 2 months of AA recovery...without meds...

This may or may not be true for you....but I hope you will find sobriety.
Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum....
Old 02-13-2011, 07:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm finding that the alcohol was masking my depression and anxiety- not curing it. And of course alcohol was making the depression worse in some ways. I realized that if I wanted to get to the root of my real problems I would need to remove the roadblock of alcohol.

And I could never cut back for an extended period of time. Sure, for a month I would drink "only" 2 cocktails and a glass of wine a night. But eventually I'd be right back to the same levels.

I'm too lazy to google the details at the moment, but IIRC there's a lady here in WA who founded some kind of "drinking in moderation" program. Sort of like a Weight Watchers for alcoholics. You got points and could drink your points but once they were gone you had to wait until the week was up. The program ran for several years until the founder was pulled over and the cops found an empty vodka bottle under the front seat of her car. She abandoned the program.

Anyway, welcome Maureen and I hope you can get those six beers down to zero.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reset View Post
I'm finding that the alcohol was masking my depression and anxiety- not curing it. And of course alcohol was making the depression worse in some ways. I realized that if I wanted to get to the root of my real problems I would need to remove the roadblock of alcohol.

And I could never cut back for an extended period of time. Sure, for a month I would drink "only" 2 cocktails and a glass of wine a night. But eventually I'd be right back to the same levels.

I'm too lazy to google the details at the moment, but IIRC there's a lady here in WA who founded some kind of "drinking in moderation" program. Sort of like a Weight Watchers for alcoholics. You got points and could drink your points but once they were gone you had to wait until the week was up. The program ran for several years until the founder was pulled over and the cops found an empty vodka bottle under the front seat of her car. She abandoned the program.

Anyway, welcome Maureen and I hope you can get those six beers down to zero.
No she killed two people driving drunk
Old 02-13-2011, 08:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by LifeBlows View Post
No she killed two people driving drunk
Setting the record straight (again), Audrey Kishline who founded Moderation Management had left her program because moderation did not work for her. She was in AA when she had the tragic collision as a result of driving drunk.

What happened was a tragic relapse that can occur regardless of what kind of recovery program you are working.

To respond to the OP, I was a member of MM for four and a half years and diligently attempted to control my drinking. It did not work for me, and it does not work for people who have crossed the line into alcoholism. I think everyone "has to" at least attempt to control his/her drinking--I did, before I could convince myself that I was unable to do it.

The problem for me was the moderation can SEEM to work for a little while. Every time, though, I'd go back to my old drinking habits. And eventually I discovered that they were not "habits" at all, but a serious addiction to alcohol that could only be addressed by completely quitting drinking.

I've been sober for two and a half years now in AA. While I think attempting to moderate is a good "convincer" it is essential to be brutally honest with yourself as to whether you really ARE in control of your drinking. I fooled myself for WAY too long.

And, incidentally, I find not drinking to be MUCH easier than trying to control it. That was nothing more than an exercise in frustration and futility for me.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Unhappy Very sad due to relapse

Hello. Thank you all for your support, as you have all figured out, my names Maureen ( i go by Moe) and im an alcoholic. The support community here is very obviously helpful to alot of people from what i've read, sadly this evening i had a relapse, i didnt drink last night but broke down and drank a few this evening, i know this has slowed down my recovery from alcohol addiction, I feel very depressed that i had to resort to this, on the other hand in good news, today i was able to eat alot which is unusual for me, as just 4 weeks ago i only ate 3 slices of pizza and half a salad, the entire week not everyday thats all i ate for 7 days, i am happy to say i ate 4 whole meals today and it all stayed down not even feeling sick! yay! thank you to all who support me and my struggle with alcoholism and i also wish the very best to all others who have quit and are trying to quit, together, we can overcome this! amen!
Old 02-14-2011, 02:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Keep trying. Never give up.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey Moe
many of us faltered in the beginning - it's hard to change our lives

Are you just using SR right now or do you have other support?
D
Old 02-14-2011, 11:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i just discovered SR this week and found it very helpful to me as im sure others have as well, i am considering attending AA meetings after my recent relapse i fell horrible, physically mostly, im dehydrated to a point no amount of fruit juice/water will help for a while, im exhausted and weak and tired and cant think straight, but im sober today, so i can officially say, monday february 14th 2011 is my first day completely sober in 2 years!
Old 02-14-2011, 11:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations Maureen

Don't hesitate to see the Dr tho if you feel poorly. It's best to be cautious with detox, I think

D
Old 02-14-2011, 11:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

please read this link...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

That info was an eye opener for me...I finally quit drinking
and I use AA to continue my successful recovery.

Yes...you too can win over alcohol
Old 02-15-2011, 03:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I drank 12-18 beers per day, every day for 10 straight years. For the 20 years prior to that, I was a weekend binger. I quit almost 20 months ago with no formal program and today I have no desire for even one beer. I'm living proof that recovery is possible.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I actually was very good with cutting back. In fact, I could often taper myself off or down to very low dosages. Problem was I could never stay off.

Look at this as a first step, but I would suggest a goal of at least 3 months of total abstinence.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover View Post
I drank 12-18 beers per day, every day for 10 straight years. For the 20 years prior to that, I was a weekend binger. I quit almost 20 months ago with no formal program and today I have no desire for even one beer. I'm living proof that recovery is possible.
I would go a detox center. Seizures are a very real possibility. I seized and I drank less. However I did take a medication which lowered my seizure threshold.

You are going to have to find things to do other than drinking. This can be found in many different ways. You just have to find what works.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The alcohol increases all the other symptoms of your other mental disorders. Of course if you stopped drinking lack of sleep is one thing that is expected to happen. You are on the right road starting to stop drinking alcohol and I believe that you can. Quitting is a big challenge but with enough determination, it is not impossible to do.