Notices

my national shame

Old 02-11-2011, 05:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

my national shame

for anyone who thinks the young are especially resilient to this

National shame as children as young as 10 in rehab for alcohol abuse | Herald Sun

D
Old 02-11-2011, 05:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My experience growing up in an alcoholic household led to drinking at an early age.

I think the parents drinking can contribute to this.

Warped lives of blameless children it says in the Big Book.

They grow up seeing this, and often it is in the house like it said in the article... The Jim Beam was from his mum's stash.

Yes, I too sampled what I saw my mum go to the cabinet for, and then smuggled in into apple juice container to school....

But then I also know of somone that grew up with no alcohol in the home, and picked it up among friends in the teen years, bored kids, with no direction or supervision.

So important to teach our children the truth about drinking, and to be good examples of sober health, body and mind giving them guidance, direction, goals, and some good old fashioned supervision!

Thanks Dee.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I just read this story on the web tonight describing basically a world wide problem

Alcohol kills more than AIDS, TB or violence: WHO - *****! News

It's sad. And then I read the comments that people posted about that story, that was even sadder
Old 02-11-2011, 05:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There's no country on earth even approaching the insanity of Russia.. I would post a clip from a documentary I saw about it.. But I don't think it's appropriate here..

Russia drinks 50% of all spirits on earth (to begin with)..

Then, they consider beer a "soft drink".. Like soda..... Open containers eeeeeeeverywhere...

A liter of vodka costs the same as a liter of soda.. And on and on..
Old 02-11-2011, 06:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Damn.....for a second I wanted to move to Russia...guess I'll never totally not think about drinking.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Muunray View Post
Damn.....for a second I wanted to move to Russia...guess I'll never totally not think about drinking.
That would be the last place on earth for a recovering addict.. And good luck finding a meeting, they have about 4 AA meetings in the whole country.. The place of last resort (which is always filled to the rim) is the church..
Old 02-11-2011, 06:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My father put me in a rehab when I was 16...

I think thats a real dumb idea to make someone believe this diesease at a young age.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

50% are regularly binge drinking at age 18???? Holy moly, that IS a serious problem.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

Ha! Don't have to tell me about Russia, lived here in Russia over three years now. It really put the capital "A" in alcoholic for me! Probably would have kept drinking another 10 years in the States. If I lived that long...

Don't get me started, I could write a book.

Glad you are all here to help. Thank you, sincerely.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't think 50% of binge drinking at 18 is unusual. That is enrollment age for College and they are crammed with binge drinkers. And at 16 I obtained a fake drivers license and was hitting the bars from then forward. I wasn't alone..lots of others that did the same thing! And we weren't in Russia either.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This problem with drinking is going to be dwarfed by the impending diet based health apocalypse. Children with cholesterol levels of 40 year olds! diabetes galore! decadence is killing the future now!
Old 02-11-2011, 09:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

No wonder your head hurts, myheadhurts—you're carrying a lot of worry around!

D, that is a shame. I can't imagine what those parents are thinking, actively supplying children with alcohol. So sad.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ImReadyToQuit View Post
There's no country on earth even approaching the insanity of Russia.. I would post a clip from a documentary I saw about it.. But I don't think it's appropriate here..

Russia drinks 50% of all spirits on earth (to begin with)..

Then, they consider beer a "soft drink".. Like soda..... Open containers eeeeeeeverywhere...

A liter of vodka costs the same as a liter of soda.. And on and on..
I've travelled a bit and i think most westerners would struggle to understand what life is like in Russia...the alcohol, like with us, is a symptom of a much greater problem...life is cheap and there is absolutely no prospects for the majority of people...just pointing out that it is not comparable to say UK or Aussie:-)

Of course if i moved to Russia i would not have to move into a slum and drink cheap fake vodka so it is as "dangerous" a place for an alcoholic as anywhere else in the world...i lived in UAE, where one is not permitted to buy alcohol unless they have a permit which restricts the amount you can buy, but if you are a westerner you can get alcohol easily?!