Notices

getting to this point

Old 02-11-2011, 03:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
orangutan

getting to this point

Hi I have just introduced myself in the new comer section and want to tell a bit more about where I am at now. Back in October last year I was out on a binge at the local club I am a woman age 50 and also in menopause I get hot flushes I went outside because I was having one of these and fainted hitting my head and splitting it I was taken to hospital by ambulance with a concussion I had blood work done and was told my liver reading was high from alcahol I was a very sick girl for a long time with dizzy spells because I done some damage to my balance from hitting the back of my head in the fall so for about 6 weeks I managed not to drink anything at all .I still am having these dizzy spells but no where near as strong and my doc says it could take up to 6 months to recover completely .Well Christmas came along and so did the visitors and the drinking started again everyday I love red wine cant get enough I would rather not have a drink if I can only have one.
About a week back now it was morning and I had been drinking the night before and again I fainted this time I was in a chair and didn't hurt myself but it frightened the life out of me.So the decision was made I had to stop this drinking for my health I need to do this. So far I manage to go a day or two and fail and start again .
I am determined.Wish me luck!
Thanks for listening.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I too was a faller - but I stubbornly insisted I could still drink, despite all the evidence to the contrary. I was lucky not to die really.

You've made a great choice in wanting to quit and in coming here Aussieblue - I hope you'll get some ideas here on how to turn those few days you're having now into a new life

D
Old 02-13-2011, 06:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum....

Yes...with sobriety all sorts of mysterious accidents quit happening.
I was a bit older than you when I decided drinking was no longer
healthy mentally and physically.

I was shocked when I did not stop drinking long term even after
I knew it was so harmful. I never knew what drink on which day
slid me into alcoholism.

I've been useing AA with good results...I hope you will check it out
Old 02-13-2011, 11:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to the alcoholism forum
Old 02-16-2011, 02:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
orangutan

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum....

Yes...with sobriety all sorts of mysterious accidents quit happening.
I was a bit older than you when I decided drinking was no longer
healthy mentally and physically.

I was shocked when I did not stop drinking long term even after
I knew it was so harmful. I never knew what drink on which day
slid me into alcoholism.

I've been useing AA with good results...I hope you will check it out
Thanks for that.
I live in an isolated area so there is no AA close by that is why I am trying to get help here online.

"Yes" why is that , you get a health scare and it isn't enough to stop you drinking, I failed again I am back to day 2 sober and should be at day 5. I want this badly and yet it is me who lets me down.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

AA's pretty much everywhere in Oz, Pete...unless you're way out in the Outback ..

drop me a line if you ever want help finding resources wherever it is you live.

here's some general Australian resources including AA and SMART
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post2273689

AA or no AA, we have to find something that works - if coming here isn't enough to keep you sober, keep looking for something out there that will Pete

D
Old 02-16-2011, 03:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
orangutan

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
AA's pretty much everywhere in Oz, Pete...unless you're way out in the Outback ..

drop me a line if you ever want help finding resources wherever it is you live.

here's some general Australian resources including AA and SMART
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post2273689

AA or no AA, we have to find something that works - if coming here isn't enough to keep you sober, keep looking for something out there that will Pete

D
I dont recall mentioning I was from Australia how did you know that (LOL)
the nearest town is about 100km round trip and I have other anxiety issues that stop me from driving so I would need to rely on someone to take me .
For now I am going to try this from home.Thanks and I will be around here for a while so you will know how I am doing.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL aussieblue?.....I took a guess - we're pretty cluey up here in Qld

A lot of people find SR very useful - I think the trick is to use it regularly - really plug yourself in

D
Old 02-16-2011, 03:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome

Sure pray you stop so you do not hurt yourself.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I will raise my hand for the faller club! I tried telling myself that my feet were not long enough to balance but that theory went out the window after I got sober. I can now walk and stand and sit..do all kinds of things without tipping over! One of the added perks to sobriety! I wish you well. I bet you find that your anxiety eases once you get some sober time in..I wish that for you! Welcome!

Last edited by MsCooterBrown; 02-16-2011 at 07:49 PM. Reason: spelling. Imagine that..
Old 02-16-2011, 09:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've passed out on numerous occasions. From what I recall I usually felt something was wrong and knelt down just before I rolled over unconscious. I see how you have a serious condition reading your post again. I'm glad you are here with us posting. I think of the physical symptoms of drinking as there as a warning. It is not unlike the way we learn to avoid different things like fire and thorn bushes.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

aussieblue
I tryed doing it alone for awhile and it got way to painful so I reached out and went to a mtg. I know people try all sorts of ways some work some don't. Glad you found SR though it has been a true miracle in my life. Keep the Faith
Old 02-17-2011, 12:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome...aussieblue

Wise choice...aussieblue. You made the right decision to start over and that choice will reap rewards over time.
~God Bless~

Don't leave until the miracle happens.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

welcome to SR aussieblue,
l too am a member of the PFO club (pi$$#d and fell over), sheer luck that l didn't land in the ER, but scared my daughters half to death
(and that's something l have finally forgiven myself for).
Look forward to reading you posts. l'm not going to wish you luck, sobriety takes determination and dedication.

Though no-one can go back and make a new start,
anyone can start from now and make a new ending.
Carl Bard.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Aussie, welcome to SR. I used to faint occassionally as well, in 2005 I was in menopause and had horrendous hot flashes and sweats and felt light helded most always; I was also drinking heavily at least every weekend; 1 day I was driving home from work, I had not been drinking that day but had gotten drunk the night before and was hungover, well I fainted while driving my car on a highway and drove head first into a concrete barrier; took about 8 wks for most of the physical injuries to heal (a year for the head injury) and then I was back to drinking-- I think more often. It took me 2 yrs after that accident before I finally accepted that I could not drink, and funny thing, once I stopped drinking all the time the hot flashes, night sweats, anxiety etc all seemed to pretty much go away.
I wasn't comfortable going to AA meetings but I read lots of AA literature (read the big book cover to cover at least 3 times in the first 6 months) and practised my own version of the 12 steps, it was an immense help to me not just to not drink but in putting my life back together.
Hope you find your way and post often.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
orangutan

Originally Posted by jamdls View Post
Hi Aussie, welcome to SR. I used to faint occassionally as well, in 2005 I was in menopause and had horrendous hot flashes and sweats and felt light helded most always; I was also drinking heavily at least every weekend; 1 day I was driving home from work, I had not been drinking that day but had gotten drunk the night before and was hungover, well I fainted while driving my car on a highway and drove head first into a concrete barrier; took about 8 wks for most of the physical injuries to heal (a year for the head injury) and then I was back to drinking-- I think more often. It took me 2 yrs after that accident before I finally accepted that I could not drink, and funny thing, once I stopped drinking all the time the hot flashes, night sweats, anxiety etc all seemed to pretty much go away.
I wasn't comfortable going to AA meetings but I read lots of AA literature (read the big book cover to cover at least 3 times in the first 6 months) and practised my own version of the 12 steps, it was an immense help to me not just to not drink but in putting my life back together.
Hope you find your way and post often.
Hi Jamdls
wow it sounds like your lucky to be alive. I know I am, my husband was with me when I fell and I struck the back of my head on the pavement he said he thought I was gone (lots of blood) it just goes to show how quickly life can be taken from us.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
orangutan

Thanks to everyone for the welcomes.

Yesterday was day 4 sober and by far my hardest yet.We are in the middle of a heat wave and all I could think about was a cold beer. I did'nt have that drink and today I am glad but it really was a struggle.
I am having headaches everyday which I think are from lack of sleep I am having the worst insomnia also mood swings very depressed and feeling sorry for myself but crazy high moods also.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes...the de tox period is usually difficult...but I felt
much better within a week

Please see your doctor if you are concerned...but what you
described happened to me too. Plus you have the added
problem of dealing with menopause.

hope you feel better soonest...
Old 02-18-2011, 05:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks Aussieblue for sharing.

It took me a long time to get to that point as well –about 30 years. I can honestly say it was worth it, even through all the adversity and struggles early on. I can’t imagine what life would be like if I continued to drink. All I know is this… The life I’m living now, with all its ups and downs, can’t compare with my previous one…no matter what.

You’re determined this time and that’s good to hear. Keep close to the rooms and this forum and never give up believing in yourself. We haven't...either should you.

~God Bless~