Notices

Sober but COLDER?

Old 02-10-2011, 12:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober but COLDER?

This may sound silly, but...

Since I've been sober (82 days) I've noticed that I've been colder. I'm not normally a cold person, never have been. I've been turning up the heat in the office (co-workers have noticed)...Putting more layers on at home (my wife has noticed)...

I know it's been a cold winter, but c'mon?

???
Zube
Old 02-10-2011, 12:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think this is quite common, well in my experience anyway. When we drink our blood tends to travel towards the skin which makes us sweat and feel flushed (although core body temperature may actually drop). If you drink constantly like I was then you feel hot and flushed all the time. When I was drinking I had to have the air con at the coldest level all the time at night (much to my girlfriends' dismay) and have it on where ever possible during the day. I would be sweating when no one else around me was. Now that I'm not drinking things are back to normal and I use air con like anyone else would.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Zube - me too.

I think it's a few things.

1) I've lost 30lbs fairly quickly after drinking (and I wasn't even heavy, went from puffy bloated 185 to a lean shaped 155).

2) My blood pressure is healthy again and I don't sweat nearly as much.

3) I pretty sure alcohol in general has something to do with our skin and vessels just being warm in general.

Kjell

3) I pretty sure
Old 02-10-2011, 02:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Zube View Post
I know it's been a cold winter, but c'mon?
To give you an idea of just how much alcohol thins a persons blood, there was a story on the news a few years ago about a homeless woman who was found in a Chicago ally after a particularilly cold weekend.

Her body was so stiff, the para-medics did not even need to use a stretcher, they just carried her by her head and feet like a piece of wood. The Doctor at the ER room only needed to put his hands on her ice cold wrist for a few seconds before pronouncing her DOA.

The coroner tried to draw some blood from her a few hours later but it would not flow into the syringe. He decided to let her thaw out for a few more hours and try the syringe a second time. When he came back, he found wet foot prints leading from the gurney to the exit. The coroner told the press, it must have been alcohol in her blood that saved her life.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
To give you an idea of just how much alcohol thins a persons blood, there was a story on the news a few years ago about a homeless woman who was found in a Chicago ally after a particularilly cold weekend.

Her body was so stiff, the para-medics did not even need to use a stretcher, they just carried her by her head and feet like a piece of wood. The Doctor at the ER room only needed to put his hands on her ice cold wrist for a few seconds before pronouncing her DOA.

The coroner tried to draw some blood from her a few hours later but it would not flow into the syringe. He decided to let her thaw out for a few more hours and try the syringe a second time. When he came back, he found wet foot prints leading from the gurney to the exit. The coroner told the press, it must have been alcohol in her blood that saved her life.

Are you saying she got up and walked after she had thawed out? She was still alive?
Old 02-10-2011, 02:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

check your BP, it may be much lower than when you were drinking...when I stopped, my HTN meds needed to be reduced....I'm much colder than I was too.

some women may also find menopause or peri-menopause symptoms greatly reduced...no more night sweats!
Old 02-10-2011, 05:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I definitely noticed my menopausal hot flashes have reduced since quitting. It's refreshing to actually be cold once in a while now! Too bad I already gave away all the sweaters to my sister....
Old 02-10-2011, 05:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes Zube,
During my hangovers I was used to sweating and feeling flushed. I would be so uncomfortable... all that is gone and my body temp lately seems to regulate just like everyone elses... if not a little cooler!
Old 02-11-2011, 08:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Fandy-

I was not even thinking about blood pressure...my BP has gone from DANGER to normal since being sober (and not smoking)...

Hmmm. Maybe I'm not really colder, I'm just getting back to NORMAL after 24 years of drinking. Time to buy more sweatshirts, I guess!!!

Zube
Old 02-11-2011, 08:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by Zube View Post
Hmmm. Maybe I'm not really colder, I'm just getting back to NORMAL after 24 years of drinking.
I'm finding out that very same thing in a lot of areas in my life
Old 02-11-2011, 08:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm betting that stopping both drinking and smoking has a profound effect on your BP. check with your doctor...it is *normal* for your BP to get a bit lower in the late PM and early AM..when you are less active.

I used to sleep with the house at 64 degrees...not anymore...and I have a down blanket and 2 quilts, flannel sheets, cats and a dog in the bed.