Notices

Chronic Fatigue?

Old 02-09-2011, 04:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Chronic Fatigue?

I have been sober for a long while now, almost a month or so. (hey thats a long time) I have noticed, that I am now chronically fatigued. I cant sleep more than 2 hours at a time, I am always cranky, I can barely stay awake at work, and I can only seem to sleep when I get home from work for a few hours at a time. Needless to say, I dont see my wife nor step daughter very much a this point and it is killing me. I am sure they love seeing me come home and see me hit lights out.

I dont know if this is a side affect of sobriety, or if something else is a miss. Any ideas?
Old 02-09-2011, 04:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Fatigue was a factor for me - it lasted longer than a month for me too.
But if you're concerned - have you seen a Dr yet?

D
Old 02-09-2011, 07:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

I also have been having chronic fatigue. I actually went and had blood tests done, and I was found to be extremely deficient in Vitamin D, and also had an abnormal result in something that has to do with an auto immune disease, such as lupus or ms. I'm going to see a rheumatologist in a month to get that rechecked.
My doctor prescribed something called nuvigil for me. Its a drug that they give to fighter pilots to keep them sharp, and also to people who are transitioning into a new work shift, and are having problems. It is a controlled substance, and is very expensive, but so far it has been helping me. No speed like qualities, just wakefulness.
I'd get checked if I were you. It could be a simple vitamin deficiency, could be something a little more serious. I know I was sick of being exhausted.
Good luck.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think if you could really really try to avoid that nap when you get in from work, you might get a bit better quality sleep at night. I know it will be hard but you need to reset your sleeping habits and routine.

Maybe for a week you might need to not go home to bed after work. It's agony but it would be worth it. Could you meet your wife and get soemthing to eat, go for a walk togther, go to a movie? Then all go home and try and get to bed a nit later but before midnight.

Another tip is that if you do wake in the night - don't do anything over-stimulating such as work, watching TV or on the computer. Keep lights low, maybe read, take a bath if it would not disturb others.

Have you read up on sleep hygiene at all? If you google it you might get some tips. Some of it is quite basic - avoiding caffeine after midday etc. But it's helped me.

Good luck

xx
Old 02-09-2011, 10:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please read this link . it has info on Insomnia

Insomnia? 42 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

Well done on your new sobriety..