Notices

pancreatitis and things

Old 02-08-2011, 04:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

pancreatitis and things

Just wondering if all alcholics develop pancreatitis? Also to anyone who has it, what does it feel like? I don't know if I'm having symptoms or not as today at work I got a sharp pain around 3 inches below my left front rib cage that would last like a second then dull down then come back again. It lasted for about 20 - 30 minutes then was completely gone.

I don't want to see a doctor as I am very uncomfortable about telling anyone I know that I'm an alcoholic, my family doesn't know (and if they did they would just yell at me probably and tell me how stupid I am), friends don't know. etc. I am dreading having some kind of pancreatic attack and having to be hospitalized, which means my family would find out =/.

I haven't drank in around 40 days though, but I feel sore.

Does the discolorment/rings under eyes ever go away???

ehh I don't know what I'm trying to get at here just worried I guess...
Old 02-08-2011, 05:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not all alcoholic develop pancreatitis, no.

But until you go to a Dr you're never going to know exactly what it is, shalpin - it might be digestive, it might be liver, it might be pancreas...it literally could be anything.

My pride kept me from seeing a Dr and that decision very nearly killed me.
Please don't make the mistake I did.

Nothing is more important than your life and your health.
D
Old 02-08-2011, 05:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Bite the bullet and go to a doctor. Your family doesn't have to know, but if you have some kind of attack, they'll surely know then. Quit imagining what all it could be and just go. Be honest with the doctor and find out what's wrong.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes please go see a Dr. I had pancreatitis and had zero symptoms.

As active alcoholics, we abused our body too much to leave this to chance.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

shalpin....

Why would your parents yell at you for seeing a doctor?
How would they know?
Are you too young to have personal insurance?

Pain is a medical issue.
This may have nothing to do with either your drinking or quitting.

Yes..please check with a doctor it's the wisest thing to do.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Shalpin
Hi. Please see a doctor about the pain in your side. Doctors see a lot more
uncomfortable things than alcoholics, and most doctors would be keen to
help you diagnose this problem. It's also important to see a doc who may tell
you it's not pancreatitis. I wouldn't second guess it though; a friend of mine
died of pancreatitis and for years afterwards his family regretted that he
didn't go to a doctor. Alcoholism is an illness, one of thousands in the doctor's
inventory of illnesses and ailments, and I've no doubt the doctor you see will have attended to dozens if not hundreds of alcoholics in his practice.

s
Old 02-09-2011, 11:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah You Should Go

You don't know what it is. There is a reason why doctors have to go to years and years of medical school. WebMD, the Sober Recovery Forums and friends are no substitute.
You could think about it this way:
Just imagine if its something progressive and you find out too late that if you had spoken up earlier its something that could have been cured. How would you feel?
OR
This Way
If I just suffer in silence and suddenly collapse one day or need to stay in the hospital. My family and friends (Aside from the worry) would have to give up lots of time to care for me over something that may not have needed to get to that point. Your family would be the ones left picking up the pieces really if you were to become incapacitated. That would be really selfish if its something that you could have done something about yourself.
OR
If its serious and you do end up in hospital, think of the medical bills. I would end up spending more than I would have in tests and medication. Better to find out what it is an nip it in the bud.
OR
If its serious and I find out what it is early on then I probably have more options as per medical intervention strategies and I would have the chance to do my own research and come to terms with it as opposed to letting it get to crisis.
OR
This could be psychosomatic. You may have worried yourself so much that you start to cause your own symptoms. (I hope that's what it is)
Old 02-09-2011, 04:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is in no way medical advice, just my experence so far.

I had a side ache (not intense pain per say) that was on my right side almost center, its got 90% better. Its worst when I actually start worrying about, also all the "mashing & feeling" I done the first few days sober probably didn't help.

I remember being a kid and having the doc mash on my abdomen during check ups - it even hurt back then.

But being 40 days sober you might want to consider a check up if only to ease the mind. Up to you
Old 02-10-2011, 01:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You can go to the doctor and ask them to draw the pancreatic enzymes along with the liver panel. That can really tell you if you are having pancreatitis or a few other things. There are plenty of reasons that you might be having pain, none of them are to be messed with, especially if you've been drinking heavily and are withdrawing.

Best of luck and make an appointment.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shalpin View Post
Just wondering if all alcholics develop pancreatitis? Also to anyone who has it, what does it feel like? I don't know if I'm having symptoms or not as today at work I got a sharp pain around 3 inches below my left front rib cage that would last like a second then dull down then come back again. It lasted for about 20 - 30 minutes then was completely gone.

I don't want to see a doctor as I am very uncomfortable about telling anyone I know that I'm an alcoholic, my family doesn't know (and if they did they would just yell at me probably and tell me how stupid I am), friends don't know. etc. I am dreading having some kind of pancreatic attack and having to be hospitalized, which means my family would find out =/.

I haven't drank in around 40 days though, but I feel sore.

Does the discolorment/rings under eyes ever go away???

ehh I don't know what I'm trying to get at here just worried I guess...
I can tell you this. I got them just like you have. As a matter of fact I have been sober for 6 months and it happened today for about 1 hour. 6 months and I still get it now and again. It's a lot less now. i don't think i had them for over a month so it was weird today.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Anyone with persistent pain should really get it checked out.
I thought I had something terminal and it was IBS.

Go figure.
D
Old 02-10-2011, 08:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Anyone with persistent pain should really get it checked out.
I thought I had something terminal and it was IBS.

Go figure.
D
Hi

I went through all the IBS stuff since I was 14. And this feels nothing like that kind of pain. For me is like a light bulb with a dimmer switch and it goes from off to slowly on and off again. It actually goes off quicker than it comes. And when it comes you just wait a second or two because you know it's probably going to flare up.

It used to happen to me after i drank hard. I just hope i don't get it much more often. Time heals and I'm just letting it go for now. if it starts to happen a lot like 4-5 times a week and gets worse I'll go. As it stands now it's maybe once every 2 months.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oh I wasn't diagnosing you tooling - just sharing my experience.
I'm glad I went and got it checked out.

What have you, or anybody, got to lose?
D
Old 02-10-2011, 09:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
part time member

The reason we have pain is to tell us that something is wrong. If it continues you should go see your doctor.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You are all right, I've decided to schedule an apt. monday or tuesday morning, I hope I haven't caused any damage that's going to kill me in the near future. I'll post after I get results back. Thanks
Old 02-12-2011, 03:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good decision shalpin

D
Old 02-14-2011, 04:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I made an apt for next tuesday.... but i'm kind of down right now, after 40+ days sober one minute I was driving home from work, the next minute I'm driving home from work drinking some mikes hard lemonade after passing a 7 11, can't belive I did that. I feel possessed. Day 1 tomorrow again, I am somewhat happy though since that was the longest I have ever been sober in the last 5 years. I have to beat this. totally unrelated though, I love this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coHKd...eature=related
Old 02-14-2011, 07:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shalpin View Post
I made an apt for next tuesday.... but i'm kind of down right now, after 40+ days sober one minute I was driving home from work, the next minute I'm driving home from work drinking some mikes hard lemonade after passing a 7 11, can't belive I did that. I feel possessed. Day 1 tomorrow again, I am somewhat happy though since that was the longest I have ever been sober in the last 5 years. I have to beat this. totally unrelated though, I love this song YouTube - tobyMac - Lose My Soul
I went 90 days Jan to march 2010 then started drinking like i used to for 5 months straight. At that point I was disgusted at myself and told myself I would never go that long again and throw it all away. I'm at 6 months now.

It's not surprising what you just did.