Notices

Meetings or No?

Old 02-08-2011, 03:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Meetings or No?

I do not consider myself an alcoholic. I recently (2 months ago) quit drinking because I used to binge drink on occasion, and because I really could find no real good reason to drink at all. I am able to have a glass of wine or a beer and stop at that, and I never really drank often.

However, now that I have made the commitment to stop drinking, I find that I occasionally want a beer or glass of wine, though I do not indulge.

I am just wondering if attending AA meetings would be helpful to me. There is a meeting tonight close to me, but it's closed, and I don't want to intrude into a closed meeting if I shouldn't.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you don't consider yourself an alcoholic why would you want to attend an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting...for the coffee and donuts?

Not to sound rude, but it would sort of like a thin person who sometimes craves an extra piece of pie after dinner asking if they should go to an overeaters anonymous meeting, not really sure would purpose would be served...aside from the coffee and donuts.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think I am (was?) a problem drinker, I guess is what I was saying. And I just wonder if attending meetings would help me to stay on the straight and narrow and not give in to the occasional drink just because I'm not a full-blown alcoholic, but rather an alcohol abuser.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Go to meeting and check it out.This disease is cunning,baffling and powerful! Read first 164 pages of Big Book. You can find the book on line, but I'm sure you are aware of that. Good Luck
Old 02-08-2011, 03:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well if you feel the compulsion to drink and you really don't want to drink, then yes maybe an AA meeting might help you. I did a years worth of meetings before I thought I had a problem, and they just help me decide that I wasn't like the people in the rooms. But if you think it might help it probably wouldn't hurt.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Closed meetings are for those of us who are alcoholics
and wish to follow the AA program.
closed meetings do not allow visitors in some groups.

I suggest you go to Open meetings or Speakers meetings
unless/until you decide if you are an alcoholic.

There are many meeting options in Dallas..that's fortunate.

Glad you are willing to check out AA...
Old 02-08-2011, 04:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Meetings are a nice place to get to know other alcoholics, but the real help that AA offers is the program of working the 12 steps. Step 1 is admitting you are powerless over alcohol. It sounds like you are not willing to do that (or you honestly believe it is not true), so I'm not sure if meetings would be beneficial to you. As others have said, though, there is no harm in checking out an open meeting. You can use aa.org to find out where meetings are near you.

GG
Old 02-08-2011, 04:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

...the only requirement to attend an AA meeting is a desire to stop drinking. This sounds like you.

I've also been in your shoes with regards to drinking patterns. For me, it is a progressive disease, and I have no doubt that I am an alcoholic.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Feel free to attend a closed AA meeting. You're welcome to attend if you think you may have a drinking problem or have a desire to stop drinking. Don't worry, you won't be intruding. As to whether or not AA will help you, there's only one way to find out.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
High on Life

Yeah sure give it a shot. Actually that's what my therapist recommended to me when I didn't want to quit drinking, he said if you're going to continue drinking at least attend AA meetings and that's what I did.

I was a visitor for a long time and now I'm a full fledged member
Old 02-08-2011, 08:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I concur with TheEnd.

What's giving it a shot gonna hurt? Hell, we've alllllll wasted far more than an hour in a day - a couple times per week.

For me, it took a little while before I realized where I really was - the ONE place on earth where everyone seemed to "get" me and, most importantly, had some things for me to do / incorporate into my life that really made some dramatic improvements.

There's no good in contempt prior to investigation, right?

Go check it out for yourself........ and try a couple different meetings while you're at it (different places, different days, different times, different people).
Old 02-08-2011, 08:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

AA helps me

Maybe go and listen...only requirement is a desire to stop drinking. It is a powerful disease and does progress. Maybe in past might not of been to troubling for you but does not mean that it does not progress to worse. In the AA big book there are alot of stories...maybe if you read them...you might see some of yourself in them? It helped me at first to break thru my denial. Glad you shared-keep us posted.

I am with Theend "Im a full fledged member" rather be that than full fledged active alkie.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You say you can have a glass of wine or a beer and stop, and you sometimes want to have an occasional glass of wine or a beer.

I don't see why you shouldn't do what you want to do.

If you were the kind of drinker who couldn't consistently do that, or stay stopped when you've decided to then checking out a meeting might be a good idea, but going to AA because there was a time in the past when you used to get drunk makes no sense I can see.

Not sure what you expect AA or the members to help you with. To not have urges to have an occasional beer? Could be done but it's a hell of a lot of work on your part to avoid something that is in essence a non-issue for you if you do decide to have one.

And, if you decide not to have the occasional beer that's cool too. You're in control. We help those drinkers who cannot do what you can do.

Why not see if there's a Smart Recovery meeting nearby? They deal with any behavior problems or bad habits people want to change, like procastination. They're available online, and may help you regain control of your thoughts on the subject if that's what you're after.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Feel free to attend. If I were you I'd pick one of the "Discussion" meetings, or a beginner meeting. You can just listen and hear stories and see how you may relate.

If you aren't an alcoholic, which based on your story it really is doubtful, AA probably wouldn't be of tremendous benefit since to me it seems that AA is a real commitment. Something to immerse yourself in. Alcoholics typically should serve lifetime terms with AA, as it isnt something to grow out of. It isn't really like a gym, where you pop in every now and then to tone up a bit.

Don't take my word for it, check it out for yourself. Talk to people there about their experiences and see if you relate to them!
Old 02-09-2011, 12:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Go to the meeting and keep an open mind...listen to what others have to say and look for the similarities...i mean what have you got to lose?

Closed meetings are fine to go to, the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking which you have...go!
Old 02-09-2011, 02:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Meetings help me. I like the support and common interest (sobriety) at these meetings.