# 1 (permalink)  
tvo

is this alcohol addiction or not

hi dear friends.
I want to know if i have a problem with alcohol or not
i am 25
my gender is male
my weight is 63 kilograms

I became to drink 3 years ago. (before that time i drink very little. In average several time in month). So 3 years ago i started to drink in average 300ml of whiskey approximately 3 times per week. In the summer I drunk in average one or two bottle of beer every day and 2-3 lites of beer one time per 1-2 weeks.

two years ago i became drink more after giving up smoking. In lust year sometimes when i drink i can not stop. So when a did not have beer or wine any more i go to store and buy additional several bottles. Approximately one time in tree month after drinking i can not remember all details of evening.

I have insomnia almost all the time. And if earlier for curring it i took a pills, now sometimes i drink 50 ml of vodka before going to the bed.

So now i drink different types of beverages in average 45 ml alcohol per day. (in some days i drink more and in some less). In the morning and in the afternoon i never want to drink. I hate and almost never drink when ate a lot. But before doing to the bad i want to drink a little bit almost every day. In my opinion the problem is that i want to drink and sometimes can not stop.

Now i have not easy time. I am lonely and during lust year i have to work and study a lot. Is it noral if i will continue to drink as i do it now?
Or is it normal if I reduce consumption of alcohol to 35 ml alcohol per day?

thanks a lot.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FT

You answered your own question when you said, "In my opinion is that I want to drink and sometimes can not stop."

I think you know that you have a problem. Please go to the closest AA meeting you can find and you will find people there who want to help you. No one will care what kind of work you do or anything about you except you want to stop drinking.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Alcoholism is not determined by the amount of alcohol you consume, it's what happens to you when you drink; how alcohol affects you. If you find that you cannot stop drinking after you start, you could be an alcoholic. If you are, and you continue to drink, it will continue to get worse. It sounds like you already drink to blackout, which is definitely not good, but in and of itself does not mean that you are an alcoholic.

Can you go without drinking anything alcoholic for 30 days without white-knuckling it? If not, then you very well could be an alcoholic. If you want to stop drinking, we are here to support you.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

In my experience anyone who wants to drink and 'sometimes can not stop' will have a very hard and miserable time trying to control their drinking - for me it was impossible.

Like Suki said - it's not the amount that matters so much here - it's the need.

I hope you'll look for help if you find you cannot solve this on your own - you'll find a lot of support here

Welcome
D
Old 02-07-2011, 03:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tvo View Post
I want to know if i have a problem with alcohol or not.
If you have to ask, you probably do. I can think of many other things to do with my time than come to a recovery website. Just sayin...
Old 02-07-2011, 04:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Let's look at your question another way....
if drinking is causing you concerns..why not quit entirely?

There are fifferent stages of alcoholism...by going sober
you can head into a healthier more productive future...
Putting a liquid toxin...alcohol...in your mind and body
is simply unhealthy.

Welcome to SR.....

Last edited by CarolD; 02-07-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I started questioning my drinking I knew it was a problem, otherwise I wouldn't be thinking about it so much and wondering if I 'had a problem'...

And coming to this site indicates that you think it's a problem. WHy not give it up for a month or two and see how you do.

Welcome to SR. YOu'll find a lot of support here.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

One major warning sign is that you are trying to control it. Normal drinkers do not have to try and control their intake. Just my opinion - well not really an opinion - more of a consensus amongst people that know this stuff.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Che

If you think you are drinking too much you should quit. If you have trouble quitting, it's an addiction.

Drinking unhealthy amounts isn't necessarily an addiction. But when you realise you're drinking an unhealthy amount, and you try to quit and have difficulty, that's when you know it goes a little deeper.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Looks to me like you're increasing your dosage over time. That's what I did and that's how I ended up here.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, to me this sounds like addiction and you should stop.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
tvo

hi, friends.
Thanks for answers. So i'll try to stop drinking now. I'll drink no more then one or two times per week and very little. I can not stop drink at all now because it is part of my work to taste alcohol beverages and write their review. And i''l have to continue to work there for a 3 week. After tree weeks i'll quit this job and try to stop drink at all for several month
Old 02-08-2011, 01:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

That sounds like a very bad job for someone who can't stop drinking tvo.
Glad you'll be moving on

D
Old 02-08-2011, 02:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
tvo

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
That sounds like a very bad job for someone who can't stop drinking tvo.
Glad you'll be moving on

D
it is true, because when i write about beverages i want to drink them. In addition a lot of alcohol journalists or bar-mens become addicted after several year but do not admit this fact/ For example my co-worker drink 150 ml of vodka or whiskey every day during supper and guess that it is normal (((

For curing insomnia i'll take sleeping pills... I'll did not drink yesterday so could get asleep at 3 AM only. But now at the work a am very sleepy.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Dating someone who was a normie really put my alcoholism into high relief for me.

He felt like he was drinkig too often and wanted to get healthier. So twice when we were dating, he just stopped drinking entirely for about 3 months (he didn't drink very much even before that, IMO, and didn't drink around me). It was no big deal, he didn't really think about it, like not drinking soda for a few months.

I, on the other hand, had tried unsuccessfully to quit numerous times for a month or even a week. Before I found the support of AA, I couldn't do it and obsessed about it the whole time I wasn't drinking.

I'm definitely an alcoholic. He isn't. Which sounds more like your experience?

GG
Old 02-08-2011, 10:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've heard people say that if you're not sure whether or not an alcoholic, you should try limiting your intake to no more than 2 drinks a day and see how you handle it.

Alcoholics at some point will inevitably go past the 2 drink barrier, while a non-alcoholic will have no issue staying with two.

In my case, I am an alcoholic and I've found that if I had two drinks and there was more in my house, I would throw the 2 drink limit out the window and drink whatever else I had. lol

Good luck with your journey.

April
Old 02-08-2011, 11:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It's a problem if you think it might be a problem.

Just to be sure though, why not take one of the many alcoholism tests out there such as the Michigan Alcoholism Screening Test (MAST), or the AUDIT.

Just Google AUDIT or MAST and you will find them. These tests are used by doctors to assess patients so can be trusted.

But as I say, and others here have said, it you need to question your drinking then it's definitely a problem.

All the best
Old 02-09-2011, 07:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Frankly, I think you need to change jobs. Tapering off or reducing almost never works.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I have tried to taper off hundreds if not thousands of times. I am still here struggling and still drinking so I would have to say cutting back doesnt work.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:18 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
tvo

i'll definitely change work. I'll have a 3-month vacation 28 of February. And I'll find new job in the summer or move to USA for studying.

I've not drink for a 3 days and feel myself miserable, espessially in the evenings when i usually drunk at least bottle of beer or littele vodka. But I still hope that after long break i'll be able to control drinking.