Notices

Wow cravings...

Old 02-05-2011, 04:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wow cravings...

Just started today.

...but NOT for booze.

For fluids. I have drinking plenty of water since starting detox, but today it was like my body screaming to recover.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Then drink--water. Water is very good for you. So is juice, and vitamins, especially B-Complex and C.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I feel like all I did for the first month was drink and sleep. It was crazy. Even now I notice that I am thirsty a lot. Not excessively but I'll drink a couple of glasses over the course of the evening. Instead of knocking back 2 bottles of wine and chasing it with a few pints of water to avert a hangover.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For some reason, grapefruit juice does the trick for me...I've been drinking gallons of it recently. I think there may be cautions with grapefruit juice and some meds (double check that; I'm just going by vague memory here) so if you are on any sort of medication you may want to make sure grapefruit juice is OK.

And you can never go wrong with water!
Old 02-06-2011, 06:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

certain meds i take for HTN, should not be mixed with grapefruit, so if i want it, i wait about 2 hours between. i love the bottled slices of grapefruit in juice...no peeling, no seeds.

i think my body was on a long term dehydration from drinking, my lips were cracked all the time, my eyes were blurry and my skin itched and flaked.....i remember drinking at least 40 ounces of herbal tea every day and having at least 3 cups of broth too.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I have been drinking a half gallon of water and a 32oz of gatorade daily since my bender. When I use to drink I sometimes mixed vodka with gatorade thinking it would help with my hangover, it didn't.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I love water, it is the best. I have been drinking a lot of sugar-free drinks as well, I am soo thirsty these days as well, but it beats a beer any day.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

it's cold here freezy nasty weather the last month, snow, ice....i can't drink cold beverages when my feet are cold...lol. my current favorite beverage is Lemon Zinger and Blueberry Zinger caff. free herbal teas...with a shot of fruit juice or splenda and extra fresh lemon...i do about 4 16 ounce mugs every day.

that new sugar/diabetes commercial is scary! when i was drinking my fasting glucose kept creeping up and up from the sugar in the wine i drank.

when i'm not freezing to death i drink lemon seltzer with about 3-4 tsps. of cranberry juice and a slice of lemon or lime.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Fandy - your drinks always sound so glamerous and delish!!!

I bet you always have ice in too.

Wish I could pop to yours for beverage or two!

xx
Old 02-06-2011, 10:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

ummm, the seltzer is the stop and shop store brand, it costs 45 cents a bottle....the cranberry is good old ocean spray 100% juice....the teas are $2.38 cents for a box of 20 at wally-mart....i do like to make "fancy" ice-cubes in the shape of stars...and i have these heavy duty giant pink goblets with thick stems from the $1.00 store....

my next fridge will definitely have an ice-maker!...now THAT is glamour!
Old 02-06-2011, 06:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Is Mountain Dew good for you? Because I've been drinking that stuff like its going out of style since trying to sober up. Going to need a 12 step for that next.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Mountain Dew has a TON of caffeine. Not that I'm throwing stones--I drink pots of coffee and iced tea by the gallon. Just that it isn't exactly healthy. Not to mention the sugar.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I don't know a thing about Mt. Dew
but I do know water is best in your de tox period.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

that new commercial for sugar is frightening...it shows how much certain beverages contain and lots of side effects including heart disease, obesity and diabetes.

diet mountain dew is probably better. there is a soda brand called "waist watchers" that is made with splenda...i love the grapefruit version. very refreshing! some grocery stores carry it here.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I went from 15 beers a night to 15 gatorades a night.

We alcoholics ARE compulsive!

Zube
Old 02-07-2011, 10:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I had 6 mugs of coffee between 5AM-8AM....then 2 mugs of tea so far and 20 ounces of soup...my office is close to the ladies room.....
Old 02-08-2011, 02:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

You people are making me thirsty! As if I wasn't already. I have a filter pitcher that I fill three or four times a day (3-4 gallons, 12-16 liters) for cooking and drinking.

Don't need ice here in the winter, the tap water is very cold. In the spring when the rivers run high you have to boil the water, or buy bottled; both taste flat to me.

Plenty of juices available, I like tomato and pineapple. Just took a break from writing and had eight gulps of tomato juice... Ahhhh. Still think water is the best for us, a twist of lemon makes it a little more interesting.

It comes to mind, when I worked in Texas, a group of Chinese came to visit our company. When I asked how their hotel was, they complained nobody brought water, they were thirsty! I explained, here you can drink water out of the tap.

Yes, count that as a blessing too; clean tap water.

Last edited by ste; 02-08-2011 at 02:37 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 02-08-2011, 09:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Oh man my new favorite thing is an old childhood favorite. Ice cold IBC root beer.