Notices

Making connections

Old 02-05-2011, 08:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Making connections

My anxiety disorder started when I began consuming alcohol on a more regular basis (couple times a week). This is the first time I've really noticed this connection (clear head maybe?). It's a shame withdrawal causes such anxiety.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmmm...
It's not part of my drinking history.....depression was..
..but as I understand it
anxiety can be professionally treated.

You might have to wait for a proper assessment because
you are coming off a de tox.

All my best as you heal and move into a healthier future..
Old 02-05-2011, 10:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Carol, I have a pdoc appt next week!
Old 02-06-2011, 01:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are getting help. I was depressed and full of anxiety when I drank...I have not experienced either in 6+ months!
Old 02-06-2011, 06:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

I was full of depression and anxiety when I drank, and I'm still full of depression and anxiety sober. What I can say it that 1. Its less and 2. Now at least i can deal with it without being sick as h*ll everyday.
Life happens. People have issues in their lives that are hard to deal with. Drinking can't help us through them, and I'm glad I finally realized it.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Here's another one.

I HATE HATE HATE the taste of hard alcohol. Wine too. I mean really. Says a lot.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by chrissp View Post
Here's another one.

I HATE HATE HATE the taste of hard alcohol. Wine too. I mean really. Says a lot.

No it says nothing....beer is also alcohol...

Please be honest about both your drinking and
de toxing when you see the doctor.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

My anxiety was completely alcohol related. Once I was sober for a couple of months it was virtually gone, except for "normal" anxiety (nervousness about work stuff, for example).

Even before you quit drinking, your body goes through withdrawals on a daily basis unless you are drinking throughout the day. Withdrawal=anxiety.

Most of us are in a constant state of anxiety, too, that we will screw something up because of our drinking. Fear of screwups=anxiety.

I'm not discounting those who have a true anxiety disorder--it's just that for a lot of us, getting rid of the booze reduces anxiety TREMENDOUSLY.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

For me drinking and anxiety went hand in hand. The more I drank the worse my anxiety got...the worse my anxiety got the more I drank to try and get rid of it. It was a vicious cycle. Since I quit the anxiety has too....no coincidence there.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's a fact that while alcohol decreases anxiety in the short term, over the long term, alcohol abuse actually significantly increases anxiety. If you suffer from anxiety (as I do), drinking is making the problem a lot worse.

Since I got sober, I still have anxiety issues I need to manage (which I had before I started drinking), but they are ten times better than when I was drinking.

And as others suggested, talk to your doctor about your anxiety. There are non-narcotic, non-addictive medications (such as SSRIs) that can really help.

GG
Old 02-08-2011, 10:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by coop1 View Post
For me drinking and anxiety went hand in hand. The more I drank the worse my anxiety got...the worse my anxiety got the more I drank to try and get rid of it. It was a vicious cycle. Since I quit the anxiety has too....no coincidence there.
This really rings a bell.

My pdoc appt today went well. She agreed that since I may be predisposed to anxiety, any habitual alcohol use would likely make me circle the drain in panic and depression. She pretty much said it was about the worst thing I could have legally done to my brain. It was a great experience actually. She wants me to take a low dose of librium for the next couple of days and start a fairly high dose of SSRI, and check in at the end of the week. It was a big weight lifted.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
where the light is

I'm glad you received medical advice. My anxiety peaked after 1 1/2 years sober and it was, for the most part, independent from my drinking/alcoholism. I'm taking a low dose SSRI and, combined with counselling (just had my last session) and AA, I haven't had any major anxiety in over a year! Sober and confident - life is great!
Old 02-08-2011, 12:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I struggle with anxiety and depression as well. Since getting sober it has gotten a lot better but I still have my anxiety episodes thinking about work, school, relationships, money or whatever. I do find that working out helps me tremendously with this. I’ve read countless articles that even 20min of cardio can help naturally balance moods and regulate sleep. I’m in AA and my sponsor harps on me for skipping meetings to work out but sometimes that is just what I have to do. Either way I know for a fact that drinking would only make the anxiety so much worse.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Riding Barefoot

I also experienced anxiety and depression while drinking. I had always had some form of depression, but anxiety? No, none at all until the last year or so of drinking. Now I am over 2 months sober and don't have that anxiety. Come to think of it, the depression is a lot better as well. Give it some time. Things will even out.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wow. This morning was like being reborn. I still have a bit of gastro upset, but I had no morning anxiety, even without librium. Got a great night's sleep. Got up, almost wanting to face the day. I never thought I would feel this way without the sauce. I hope this feeling lasts.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I don't get anxiety anymore.. even the idea of losing my job, I just get angry and want to punch someone on those days. You should try weight lifting as a hobby. It pretty much erased my anxiety. When I talk to people I get so close to them that in my head I say "dude don't get so close you might be making them uncomfortable". When I was a teen my body language was just the opposite.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Also, thanks to this community for giving me stuff to read to get me through this. I doubt I wouldn't have been able to get through detox without this forum.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by gravity View Post
I'm glad you received medical advice. My anxiety peaked after 1 1/2 years sober and it was, for the most part, independent from my drinking/alcoholism. I'm taking a low dose SSRI and, combined with counselling (just had my last session) and AA, I haven't had any major anxiety in over a year! Sober and confident - life is great!
Ahh that is great to hear.
I'm pretty sure my anxiety is what drove me into the bottle and then the bottle amplified my anxiety 10 fold.
Had my first counseling appointment this week and hoping to get on SSRIs in the next 2 weeks.